Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?

Go down 
+12
SAHB Healer
Gilbert
A Handful of Wayne
DallasBlack
Shawn Of Fire
kethdredd
Wargod
MetalGuy71
Dark Horseman
Lari
exact33
tohostudios
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Empty
PostSubject: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 8:19 pm

I've spun this thing 3 times so far and I think it's the best album PC69 has put out in years.

The songs are instantly memorable (especially tracks like "Wasted Years" and "Right From Wrong") and David Readman's vocals are as great as ever. Added bonus: no real "ballads" to speak of although there are some slower paced tracks.

Here's "Right From Wrong" which currently is my favorite track:

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 8:23 pm

And here's "Wasted Years":

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 pm

I am excited to hear this. I really like the songs so far.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 pm

I really think it's great.

Maybe I've just been so far removed from this style lately but this really sounds like a musical breath of fresh air to me. And I was so prepared to be disappointed for the same reason.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 9:22 pm

I've preordered this, but it didn't arrive yet. I'll withold from listening to samples / youtube links before that.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 pm

It's sounding decent but nothing they haven't done. Kind of like Pretty Maids to me. Opinions though, I love most of Helloween and they don't exactly shake it up tons.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Yeah, it's nothing PC69 hasn't done before but it is interesting how sometimes that bothers us yet other times it doesn't (like me with Hammerfall vs AC/DC).

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 am

Both tunes sounds pretty decent to me. Which is to say, it sounds exactly like I've come to expect from these guys. I'll probably pick this up at some point. I still have a few gaps in my collection that I'll fill someday.

And yea, it's weird how some groups can get away with sounding same-y every album and other groups get crucifed for it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 6:58 pm

I love anything Pink Cream 69 puts out. I got this sat.

Metalwargod
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 7:36 pm

Didn't know this was out yet. Definite purchase.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 7:56 pm

kethdredd wrote:
Didn't know this was out yet. Definite purchase.

I think you're really going to dig it. I've spun this CD about 6 or 7 times and I still keep hearing new things. There are instant "hitters" like the 2 tracks I posted earlier but the more I listen the more other tracks start to stay with me.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 10:45 am

More of the same from Pink Cream 69...but it's not like that's a bad thing.

Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 9:30 pm

This is definitely a good one. Their best since Thunderdome.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 9:43 pm

I definitely like this one more than Int10sity.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 3:38 am

Definatly a good album, but it's too early in the year and I have so much other stuff I'm anticipating for me to make any decisions.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 8:15 am

I have been through this several times now and i think this album is a prime example of how 'loudness' can affect an album. I like it but it is way too loud sounding. I think it takes away from the music its so loud.

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 5:23 pm

I gotta get this along with a few others. I really haven't gotten any new cds except for the last Helloween for quite a while. I have some amazon gift cards that must be used! I need to get on this.

A friend of mine said he wasn't crazy about this album, but just from listening to wasted years I can see he is probably wrong lol. I'll have to tell him to re listen to it. He also said David Readman sounded different. has anyone else noticed that? It didn't seem like that to me on Wasted Years.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I gotta get this along with a few others. I really haven't gotten any new cds except for the last Helloween for quite a while. I have some amazon gift cards that must be used! I need to get on this.

A friend of mine said he wasn't crazy about this album, but just from listening to wasted years I can see he is probably wrong lol. I'll have to tell him to re listen to it. He also said David Readman sounded different. has anyone else noticed that? It didn't seem like that to me on Wasted Years.

i thought the vocals were buried by the sound.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 6:07 pm

I think it still sounds like vintage David Readman but I can see what exact is saying about the "loudness". It reminds me of the latest Kia commercial with the hamsters; yeah techno song they're all grooving to sucks but it's recorded so freakin' loud that the thing is all distorted.
Is this yet another trend we can thank Apple, Ipods and earbuds for? "We know you mostly listen to your music through tiny headphones so we're gonna boost the volume for ya."

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 10:07 pm

I've listened to the album a lot after I got it and I think it's very nice, but maybe a little too AOR'ish this time around. I totally think In10sity rocked harder.

The loudness thing is only a factor if you give repeated listens and with good headphones. I don't have a problem listening to it through once. The softness and slowness kind of gets me before the production, actually, and prevents a second spin.

But it's true it does sound really good with earbuds. Much like those gigantic Iced Earth albums (Framing Armageddon and Crucible of Man). With headphones it's a bit too much. And the rhythm section doesn't even sound quite as awesome as it usually does on a PC69 record.

Anyway, songs.... Special is a great track.

Right from Wrong makes me think of 90's UFO. And that's a good thing. Wasted Years is another highlight. And for some reason I like the mindlessness of I Came to Rock. Sounds a lot like Rock'n'Roll, the Led Zeppelin song. The album could be a little longer, in my opinion. Good quality stuff and leaves you wanting for more.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 6:47 pm

Lari wrote:

Right from Wrong makes me think of 90's UFO. And that's a good thing. Wasted Years is another highlight. And for some reason I like the mindlessness of I Came to Rock. Sounds a lot like Rock'n'Roll, the Led Zeppelin song. The album could be a little longer, in my opinion. Good quality stuff and leaves you wanting for more.
Every time I hear "Right From Wrong" I keep thinking that with a little tweaking in the instrumentation it would make a great Southern Rock song. I could hear The Outlaws or Molly Hatchet putting a Southern rock spin on that track.
Anyway, that one's probably my favorite from the new PC69.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 12:46 am

Excellent music.

Will make sure to order my copy soon headbanger

I love Pink Cream 69, especially the Deris years
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 2:52 am

tohostudios wrote:

Every time I hear "Right From Wrong" I keep thinking that with a little tweaking in the instrumentation it would make a great Southern Rock song. I could hear The Outlaws or Molly Hatchet putting a Southern rock spin on that track.

I had the same thought about several of the songs on this disc (mostly toward the end). Didn't one of these guys grow up in Texas? Maybe that explains it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 3:02 am

tohostudios wrote:

Is this yet another trend we can thank Apple, Ipods and earbuds for? "We know you mostly listen to your music through tiny headphones so we're gonna boost the volume for ya."

No. The loudness wars started around 1996 and gained momentum during 1997, the first iPod didn't hit stores until 5 years later. It all started because record companies didn't like the fact that CDs produced by their rivals were sometimes louder than their own. They all wanted their own CDs to be "the loudest" so if you played a disc by a competitor and then one of their own came on it would blast out of the speakers with more intensity. They didn't care what it sounded like, they just wanted to be sure it outdid their rivals in sheer volume. All the labels picked up this mentality and they forced the mastering engineers they employed to keep compressing the music more and more to ensure it was as loud as it could possibly be.

Compression and digital limiting actually sounds much worse in earbuds and headphones but by the time the iPod was introduced the majority of recordings from major labels were brickwalled garbage anyway, it's hard for people to tell the difference when everything sounds like shit.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 8:06 pm

I think the album is better after time.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?   Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pink Cream 69 - Early album of the year candidate?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next