Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13

Go down 
+14
SpectreFate
jettafiend
deathisgain
DallasBlack
kmorg
thejokeriv
A Handful of Wayne
Eyesore
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Boris2008
James B.
Witchfinder
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 2:23 am

I just got my copy and after the first spin it's pretty good. I generally like cover albums anyway. The standout, first time through is their cover of Boston's "Smokin". The band stays pretty close to the originals for the most part but I am digging it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 10:16 am

jettafiend wrote:
I just got my copy and after the first spin it's pretty good. I generally like cover albums anyway. The standout, first time through is their cover of Boston's "Smokin". The band stays pretty close to the originals for the most part but I am digging it.

Picked mine up last night. "Smokin" is definately a stand-out track, but they're all pretty good to me. The 2 versions of "Crawl" are pointless and stupid.

First, if they wanted a track from the last album, just put the re-mixed version on there. It's still pointless and stupid, but at least it fits in with the idea of an ep. Secondly, putting both the studio track and the re-mix back-to-back is just retarded. They'll be skipped from now on.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 11:23 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

Picked mine up last night. "Smokin" is definately a stand-out track, but they're all pretty good to me. The 2 versions of "Crawl" are pointless and stupid.

First, if they wanted a track from the last album, just put the re-mixed version on there. It's still pointless and stupid, but at least it fits in with the idea of an ep. Secondly, putting both the studio track and the re-mix back-to-back is just retarded. They'll be skipped from now on.

I agree. Crawl is not the greatest song on the album to begin with, but the remix is screaming "FILLER".
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 12:03 pm

I got mine Tuesday and I guess it's okay. I think the band stayed far too close to the originals, and they don't put their own spin on many of the tracks. Both versions of "Crawl" are worthless. They should have put one or two new studio tracks on here to make it a better value. Frankly, they did better covers with John Bush in the band.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 12:24 pm

So at least with this release, one can say that Anthrax DOES sound like Boston. Laughing very hard

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 12:41 pm

the story I heard was that Joey was recruited out of a Journey cover band so why not do some of Journey or some NWOBHM as Scott seems to rage on and on about. That would have been sweet.

*Nevermind on the Journey track. I did not realize that "Keep on Runnin" was a Journey cover. That is not a song that I am familiar with.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 2:20 pm

jettafiend wrote:
the story I heard was that Joey was recruited out of a Journey cover band so why not do some of Journey or some NWOBHM as Scott seems to rage on and on about. That would have been sweet.

*Nevermind on the Journey track. I did not realize that "Keep on Runnin" was a Journey cover. That is not a song that I am familiar with.

The Journey cover is one of the best because the band makes the song heavier.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

Yeah! Charlie tears it up at the end. It is fantastic.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 2:26 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

I wasn't familair with that tune either, but I assumed that Anthrax beefed it up some.

A few months ago, Classic Rock magazine included a cd of current bands covering songs of the 70's. Unfortunately, I never grabbed a copy. I believe Anthrax contributed a Queen cover, but darned if I can find it anywhere. Anyone else know what song I'm talking about? That would have been a cool song to tack on the ep instead of 2 versions of 'Crawl'.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 2:40 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

I wasn't familair with that tune either, but I assumed that Anthrax beefed it up some.

A few months ago, Classic Rock magazine included a cd of current bands covering songs of the 70's. Unfortunately, I never grabbed a copy. I believe Anthrax contributed a Queen cover, but darned if I can find it anywhere. Anyone else know what song I'm talking about? That would have been a cool song to tack on the ep instead of 2 versions of 'Crawl'.

It's the first that I have heard of this, but that sounds like a disc that I want to hear. I love covers.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 2:51 pm

The track they covered is Queen's 'It's Late'. I found this version on YouTube, but I don't think it's the one I was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZVGqrGRPlmU#!

First off, it's John Bush. Secondly, one of the YouTube posters says it's John with other musicians from a Queen tribute album, not Anthrax. If there is a newer version with Joey and full band, I'd like to hear it.

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 4:55 pm

"It's Late" has some fairly heavy segments to begin with, you wouldn't need to rearrange it all that much.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 6:39 pm

James B. wrote:
So at least with this release, one can say that Anthrax DOES sound like Boston. Laughing very hard

No, they sound like Priest who sound like Boston.... or so I hear.....
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Listened to this EP today. I enjoyed it though I must confess I thought that Anthrax would 'own' the songs a little more. They really didn't change 'em up much. Belladonna does a superb job. He could have been Steve Perry's replacement in Journey.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 10:27 pm

One thing that is cool about this EP is the packaging. I got the "Journey" cover. Anybody get a different cover?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 10:55 pm

I have the Boston cover.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 11:51 pm

Always wanted Anthrax to put out a double album of all of the cover songs they've done in chronological order since they've covered a ton of tunes in 30 years. Anyone have an idea of how many cover songs they've actually recorded?
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 11:55 pm

the non-Anthrax fan and Journey fan here now wishes to hear this cover.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 12:04 am

I have the iTunes cover.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 12:05 am

GrandNational wrote:
Always wanted Anthrax to put out a double album of all of the cover songs they've done in chronological order since they've covered a ton of tunes in 30 years. Anyone have an idea of how many cover songs they've actually recorded?

Anthrax and WASP should both do this.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 9:20 am

GrandNational wrote:

Here's a semi-complete list.....

http://www.coversproject.com/artist/anthrax/
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 9:36 am

ultmetal wrote:
I have the Boston cover.

Same here. I didn't know there were different ones available. I just grabbed the first one I saw.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 9:44 am

I did not know "Got the Time" was a cover. Weird.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 9:48 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I did not know "Got the Time" was a cover. Weird.

I like the Anthrax version more. This sounds too "new-wave" for me. I think that's the phrase I'm looking for.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 10:28 am

GrandNational wrote:

At one time I had them all compiled onto a compilation. They've done some great covers. I think they've done 3 or 4 Kiss covers alone!

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13   Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anthrax Anthem EP to be released on 03/19/13
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next