Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album

Go down 
+9
James B.
SpectreFate
manny
ultmetal
Boris2008
MetalGuy71
Chrome Locust
nevermore
brokentulsa
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
hmmm.... Just finished listening to the song. Doesn't sound too bad. I don't think he's trying to imitate Phils voice, but I really don't know who the guy is or if he's been in other bands, I never bothered to look more into it. It does have some classic Lizzy parts in it tho which is cool. Is there enough to make me want to go out and pick this up? I'll have to give the rest a listen.

He used to be in the band The Almighty which was a big deal over in the UK, over here not so much.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 2:05 pm

[quote]
Nifty. That's a bit of a departure for Sinner, sound-wise, isn't it? I thought they were more of a European power metal band? This sounds more "rock" that I expected.
[quote]
Their not flowery, just straight ahead metal for the most part.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 2:06 pm

Sinner has always thrown in some Lizzy-esque elements on their albums. Mat Sinner is a huge fan-boy.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 2:18 pm

manny wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
hmmm.... Just finished listening to the song. Doesn't sound too bad. I don't think he's trying to imitate Phils voice, but I really don't know who the guy is or if he's been in other bands, I never bothered to look more into it. It does have some classic Lizzy parts in it tho which is cool. Is there enough to make me want to go out and pick this up? I'll have to give the rest a listen.

He used to be in the band The Almighty which was a big deal over in the UK, over here not so much.

Oh ok... I've heard of them.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 2:25 pm

[quote="Dark Horseman"][quote]
Nifty. That's a bit of a departure for Sinner, sound-wise, isn't it? I thought they were more of a European power metal band? This sounds more "rock" that I expected.
Quote :

Their not flowery, just straight ahead metal for the most part.

I had a "best of" compiliation from Sinner at one point, but I ditched it when I was purging my all flower/power metal. I guess they just got caught up in the momentum.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 2:29 pm

S.D. wrote:
You could write songs in a "Thin Lizzy fashion" without resorting to a karaoke-singer imitation of Phil's vocal delivery. The guitar harmonies would be enough of a musical indication that Thin Lizzy was being referenced. The song is a little too close to parts of "Southbound" and "Waiting For An Alibi" and frankly it's not a very interesting tune.

Hopefully there is more unique material elsewhere on the album.

I guess. Who knows, maybe they chose that song in particular because it sounds so similiar to old Lizzy. "Give the fans what they want" mentality. Eh, whatever. If it makes the guys a nickel and makes a few fans happy, good for them. Thin Lizzy's just one of those bands I never "got" and this isn't gonna change that opinion either.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Album artwork...

Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Bsrhellcd

Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 11:51 pm

I like the song, reminds me of Thin Lizzy and yeah maybe a Southbound vibe. I like stuff like this, good vocals and guitar with some 70-80's meets today sound. Cool album cover. Maybe not that good of an idea to not use the Thin Lizzy name, since we are already hearing about sounding too much like Thin Lizzy.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 12:45 pm

The entire album is streaming:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/music_and_videos/black-star-riders-album-stream/
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Listening to this album, it's not a bad effort, but there is almost no resemblance to anything Lizzy. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. "A Decent rock record" is all I can muster to describe it. Thank God they didn't release this under the Lizzy name.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Sounds ok. I can hear some Thin Lizzy in the sound for sure.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 4:04 pm

Newbury Comics has it for pre-order autographed if anyone is interested.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 5:13 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Sounds ok. I can hear some Thin Lizzy in the sound for sure.

Gorham does have that unique tone

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 10:59 am

So anyone that actually picked up the Black Star Riders album, what do you think? I heard another track from the album (see below) and liked it. I'm a casual Lizzy fan at best, but aside from the obvious influences, these guys sound pretty good on their own to me.

Is it worth the coin?

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 1:21 pm

Ha, I still haven't pulled the trigger either. I like what I hear but i'm still not sure i'd listen much.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Killer album. Even if you are not a Thin Lizzy fan. Well worth getting.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 2:45 pm

bass63 wrote:
Killer album. Even if you are not a Thin Lizzy fan. Well worth getting.
I like it quite a bit. It's very Thin Lizzy-esque, though without Phil's songwriting skills, it doesn't completely compare.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 8:07 pm

Yea its a good album. It doesn't hold up to any Thin Lizzy album though, to me. I'm not crazy about the production of it. Kind of sounds old guy rock, a little. There are a few songs that I really like a lot, but its not something that I have listened to that much since I got it. Its a good album though.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 9:44 am

I guess I'll find out in a few days. I liked the 2 singles they released and found it online for a good price, so I ordered it. Should have my copy early next week.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 12:36 pm

This didn't make my top 10 but i'm enjoying it more as I listen more, pick out more Lizzy momenst too. Kingdom of the Lost reminds me of their version of Whiskey In the Jar and I love that celtic rock sound.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 12:41 pm

I listened to this record on Spotify over the holidays. It's okay but I think the songwriting lets it down, too often I found myself enjoying the verse section of a song and then the chorus comes in and kills it. The only thing the album inspired me to do was pull out some Thin Lizzy instead.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 12:44 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
This didn't make my top 10 but i'm enjoying it more as I listen more, pick out more Lizzy momenst too. Kingdom of the Lost reminds me of their version of Whiskey In the Jar and I love that celtic rock sound.

Yea, I found it to be very enjoyable as well. Nothing ground breaking or anything that will make folks flip their wigs, but a solid rock album nonetheless. It didn't make me want for any Thin Lizzy though. Smile 

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album   Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thin Lizzy Morphs Into Black Star Riders For New Album
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2