Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I love Black Sabbath but...

Go down 
+8
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
Required Fields
SpectreFate
Shawn Of Fire
ZombieHavoc
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

I love Black Sabbath but... Empty
PostSubject: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 10:57 am

Randy Rhoads just kills it on Iron Man, Children of the Grave and Paranoid, on Tribute.

I was listening to the record yesterday for the first time in probably 10 years. Those tracks are so amped up, they just smoke.

I know it's not Randy on Speak of the Devil (right?), but now I am itching to get that live record, for all those Sabbath tracks. SotD is the only Ozzy-related album, pre-No More Tears, that I have never owned.

Also, side note, anyone know why SotD and Ultimate Sin were not included in the 2002 reissues, and have basically been deleted?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 11:03 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:

I know it's not Randy on Speak of the Devil (right?), but now I am itching to get that live record, for all those Sabbath tracks. SotD is the only Ozzy-related album, pre-No More Tears, that I have never owned.

Right. It's Brad Gillis, pre-Night Ranger...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 11:05 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

That should be an interesting listen too, in and of itself.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 11:07 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Not necessarily pre-Night Ranger....Dawn Patrol was already recorded when Gillis filled in for Randy Rhodes.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 11:10 am

The Ultimate Sin is out of print beecause of the legal struggle between Ozzy and bassist Phil Soussan over the song "Shot in the Dark".

It is one of the only multi-platinum albums to ever go out of print (the highest selling to ever go out of print is Milli Vanilli's Girl You Know it's True, which went six times platinum in the U.S. alone before it was deleted).
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 11:11 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Not necessarily pre-Night Ranger....Dawn Patrol was already recorded when Gillis filled in for Randy Rhodes.

Yeah, but it wasn't released. He had to choose between Ozzy & Night Ranger no long after...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 11:14 am

I like the versions of the Black Sabbath tunes on 'Tribute' and admire the fact that Randy Rhoads played the songs his own way, but I much prefer the original versions and various live versions I have heard with Black Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 11:19 am

Required Fields wrote:
The Ultimate Sin is out of print beecause of the legal struggle between Ozzy and bassist Phil Soussan over the song "Shot in the Dark".

It is one of the only multi-platinum albums to ever go out of print (the highest selling to ever go out of print is Milli Vanilli's Girl You Know it's True, which went six times platinum in the U.S. alone before it was deleted).

That makes sense. I did think it was odd that an album with such a big hit would be out of print.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Tony Iommi all the way, nobody else even comes close.

The work Randy did on the Sabbath tunes (and to a lesser degree Brad Gillis) are "okay", but by over-complicating the arrangements they lose the magic of the original vision. The guitar arrangements on these songs don't need to be busy, there is no need to fix perfection.

and before people pull out the torches to burn me alive...I'm NOT dissing Randy, I love his guitar playing and songwriting on his own tunes...I just don't like the way he plays the Sabbath numbers.

I gave my copy of Speak Of The Devil away after I got all the original Sabbath albums, the real mccoy is so good those versions are completely unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Ironically Randy Rhoads was not a fan of Black Sabbath and the next live album which became 'Speak of the Devil' had always been planned to include only Black Sabbath tunes.

Randy Rhoads expressed his displeasure at recording such a live album, but this live disc and perhaps one more studio album, and he would been out there, but we all know what happened next and this would never take place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 12:31 pm

"Speak Of The Devil" was a contractual obligation album demanded by Ozzy's record label at the time (Jet Records), Ozzy didn't want to do it in the first place and he still dislikes the album.

Originally the label had asked for a live album with Rhoads, but after Randy's death they decided a live album featuring all Black Sabbath songs would be the way to go, thus this record was hurriedly arranged and then recorded on tour.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 12:35 pm

S.D. wrote:
"Speak Of The Devil" was a contractual obligation album demanded by Ozzy's record label at the time (Jet Records), Ozzy didn't want to do it in the first place and he still dislikes the album.

Originally the label had asked for a live album with Rhoads, but after Randy's death they decided a live album featuring all Black Sabbath songs would be the way to go, thus this record was hurriedly arranged and then recorded on tour.

Well MOST of it was recorded on tour. I'm positive Ozzy did his vocals in a studio.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 12:38 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

Well MOST of it was recorded on tour. I'm positive Ozzy did his vocals in a studio.

He has always re-recorded his vocals for every "live" release, generally the band tracks are left alone, but Ozzy always redoes his vocals. As long as the music is live I could really care less about the vocals, all the vocals for Unleashed In The East were re-recorded but that doesn't stop it from being one of the very best Priest albums.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 12:40 pm

S.D. wrote:

That was the deal the made with Don Arden, it is true it was a contractual obligation but it was always suppose to feature nothing but Black Sabbath material according to Rudy Sarzo in his "Off the Rails" book and I believe Ozzy even mentions this on his own book.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 12:44 pm

[quote="S.D."]
SpectreFate wrote:

all the vocals for Unleashed In The East were re-recorded but that doesn't stop it from being one of the very best Priest albums.

I've always heard that pretty much that whole album was re-recorded in the studio and the audience dubbed in after...

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 12:50 pm

According to an old interview with Tom Allom the only thing re-recorded was the vocals (Halford re-recorded them in the kitchen of his house).

Last edited by S.D. on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 12:51 pm

[quote="S.D."]
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

all the vocals for Unleashed In The East were re-recorded but that doesn't stop it from being one of the very best Priest albums.

I've always heard that pretty much that whole album was re-recorded in the studio and the audience dubbed in after...

According to an old interview with Tom Allom the only thing re-recorded was the vocals (Halford re-recorded them in the kitchen of his house).

Oh, well...there you go. Cool.

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 12:53 pm

The crowd sound on Unleashed In The East is odd because Allom used a limiter on the audience mics, so when the music gets quiet the crowd noise swells in volume, when the band kicks back in the audience mics duck. That actually makes it sound kinda fake (much better to manually ride the audience level) so I can understand how some people think the applause is canned.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Required Fields wrote:

That's what I thought too but there is no legal battle between Phil and the Ozzy camp over anything. All that was resolved in 1993 and The Ultimate Sin was last issued in 1995. Read about it here: http://playitloudforever.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/ozzy-osbourne-the-ultimate-sin-1986/

It sounds like Ozzy is simply embarrassed by the music on The Ultimate Sin.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

It sounds like Ozzy is simply embarrassed by the music on The Ultimate Sin.

If I was Ozzy I'd be embarrassed about most of the music I had released SINCE The Ultimate Sin. After that album is where I officially step off the Ozzy crazy train.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 1:27 pm

If I could speculate:

Ozzy may very well be "embarrassed" by how he dressed during The Ultimate Sin era.

BUT as much money as he made then, and as popular as that album was/is, this whole "I'm embarrassed by that album" stuff is, IMO, press manipulation. Soussan obviously has them over a barrel otherwise they could have done the way they did the other albums and simply re-record parts or otherwise alter it to release it. So, since they can't come to some kind of inexpensive agreement w/ Soussan, they let it fall out of print and claim "embarrassment" at the whole thing.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Quote :
Ozzy may very well be "embarrassed" by how he dressed during The Ultimate Sin era.

If he's not, we should all be embarrassed FOR him. He looked like Liz Taylor on crack in those days.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
If I could speculate:

BUT as much money as he made then, and as popular as that album was/is, this whole "I'm embarrassed by that album" stuff is, IMO, press manipulation. Soussan obviously has them over a barrel otherwise they could have done the way they did the other albums and simply re-record parts or otherwise alter it to release it. So, since they can't come to some kind of inexpensive agreement w/ Soussan, they let it fall out of print and claim "embarrassment" at the whole thing.

Also, after a quick look on Amazon, "Shot in the Dark" is omitted from the currently in print version of the Ozzman Cometh collection.

And I know it used to be there, as my brother had the CD when it came out. That lends something to the legal battle, I think.

Or it could lend to the embarassment angle, too, I suppose. Hmm.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 4:21 pm

S.D. wrote:

This.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 6:51 pm

ultmetal wrote:
S.D. wrote:

This.

yep. I agree wholeheartedly.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I love Black Sabbath but...   I love Black Sabbath but... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I love Black Sabbath but...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next