Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time

Go down 
+17
Troublezone
mc666
Leatherface
Orion Crystal Ice
DallasBlack
Citanul
ShadowAngel
thejokeriv
CRIMSONMASK
Dark Horseman
adrian
Psychotron
MetalGuy71
kmorg
Joe
Witchfinder
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Empty
PostSubject: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 12:57 pm

http://www2.gibson.com/news-lifestyle/features/en-us/shred-stars-0803-2011.aspx?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Gibson%20Guitar%20Corp.&utm_content=Editorial+eBlast+-+September+25%2C+2012

Thoughts? Having Hetfield and Hammett as one unit is a cop out. If you can do that, then where is Tipton/Downing? How about Dave Mustaine?
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 1:01 pm

I like Dimebag, but top 5?? C'mon.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 1:05 pm

Having james and kirk above randy is a travesty.

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Nobody is ever going to agree with these lists 100%.

Iommi at #1 is a complete given, the rest is up for debate.

Kirk Hammett, John Petrucci, Dimebag, Zakk Wylde, Adam Jones and George Lynch would never make any top 10 list I put together.

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 1:09 pm

Blackmore, criss oliva, malmsteen

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 1:11 pm

George Lynch really threw me for a loop. I like the guy, but c'mon. Top 10 of All Time?

Metal student
Metal student
Psychotron

Number of posts : 167

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 1:14 pm

It depends what their definition of metal is.

Seeing as Eddie Van Halen is on there, which I would say is more hard rock...I would have to put Blackmore on there and he would be my personal No.1

I like George Lynch, another one of my favorites, but did not expect to see him on this list.

Also, Michael Schenker should be on here too.
Back to top Go down
http://nicksmetal.blogspot.com
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Not having Blackmore or Yngwie is a real shame in my opinion
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Not having Blackmore is sacrilege.

...I can live without Yngwie. Razz
Back to top Go down
Psychotron
Metal student
Metal student
Psychotron

Number of posts : 167

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 1:36 pm

S.D. wrote:

No one can live without Yngwie!
Back to top Go down
http://nicksmetal.blogspot.com
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 1:41 pm

S.D. wrote:

My fiance actually sent me this link and her comment was, "Where the hell is Blackmore?" Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 2:02 pm

Psychotron wrote:
S.D. wrote:

No one can live without Yngwie!

Since I haven't owned an Yngwie recording since 1989 or so, I'd say I can! lol!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 2:22 pm

At least they got metal guitarist, and good ones at that. I think Blackmore is so understated it's easy to not think of him.
Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 3:12 pm

Granted there are alot of names missing from this list. While there are some I don't think should be on it, I can at least understand the argument for their inclusion. Thanksfully the list does not include the usual "popular" choices for best guitarist like Zacky Vengeance, #7 & #8 from Slipknot, & the homeless guy from Axl's GNR tribute band.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Another BS list..... Blackmore missing (as mentioned) James/Kirk listed higher than Dave/Adrian??? Seriously????
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 9:23 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Another BS list..... Blackmore missing (as mentioned) James/Kirk listed higher than Dave/Adrian??? Seriously????

Metallica always gets overrated and i guess Dimebag is in the top 5 because he's dead, same reason why you always find Kurt Cobain in the top 10 of guitar lists (even though he had no talent and couldn't even play the guitar), it's more of a 'tribute' thing i guess.

My first thought was too: No Criss Oliva? No Blackmore? Ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 am

These lists are always out of whack. They're highly subjective so no one will ever agree, leaading to debates (which is the point I suppose) so I don't ever really give them much thought.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 10:31 am

thejokeriv wrote:

I woulda put Dave Mustaine in there instead of Kirk and especially James.

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 10:32 am

ShadowAngel wrote:
same reason why you always find Kurt Cobain in the top 10 of guitar lists (even though he had no talent and couldn't even play the guitar)

Cobain makes it if you're not just judging on technical ability. If you go by things like songwriting, fronting a band and influence then it's possible to make a case for him. How strong a case is another matter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 11:45 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

James is the more talented player than Kirk by far. He rarely plays leads, but you can't discount his rhythm work launched a million wannabe guitarists, every friend I knew in the 80s who played guitar learned as many Metallica riffs as humanly possible.

Leads are secondary to me when choosing a great guitarist, rhythm work and songwriting I think are of primary importance. Metal is primarily riff based music, so the riff is all-important. A great solo is icing on the cake...but icing by itself isn't that satisfying.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 11:49 am

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

James is the more talented player by far. He doesn't play leads, but you can't discount his rhythm work launched a million wannabe guitarists, every friend I knew in the 80s who played guitar learned as many Metallica riffs as humanly possible.

Leads are secondary to me when choosing a great guitarist, rhythm work and songwriting I think are of primary importance.

I think James is a fine player. I'm just putting it in the context of this particular list. If I was putting together a Top 25 list of Metal Guitarists, James would register in there somewhere, as well a Kirk. But he doesn't make my top 10.

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 11:53 am

I'm not sure where James/Kirk would rank on my list (and I generally don't rank things). However, "influence" to me is such an important part of the equation and it's undeniable that Metallica has been one of the primary influences on metal ever since they came out...so it would be very hard for me to not rank them highly based on that alone.

When it comes to influence it would also be near impossible for me to leave off Jimmy Page from the list. Hell, he practically invented the "gallop riff" that is one of the major building blocks.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 11:58 am

S.D. wrote:
I'm not sure where James/Kirk would rank on my list (and I generally don't rank things). However, "influence" to me is such an important part of the equation and it's undeniable that Metallica has been one of the primary influences on metal ever since they came out...so it would be very hard for me to not rank them highly based on that alone.

When it comes to influence it would also be near impossible for me to leave off Jimmy Page from the list. Hell, he practically invented the "gallop riff" that is one of the major building blocks.

Yea, I'm not sure where this original list is coming from, as far as rankings. Did readers vote on this? Are they talking influential, popular, talented, hard rock, or purely metal? That list is kinda all over the place with some glaring ommisions and questionable inclusions.

Ah well, it's giving us something to gripe about discuss.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

James is the more talented player than Kirk by far. He rarely plays leads, but you can't discount his rhythm work launched a million wannabe guitarists, every friend I knew in the 80s who played guitar learned as many Metallica riffs as humanly possible.

Leads are secondary to me when choosing a great guitarist, rhythm work and songwriting I think are of primary importance. Metal is primarily riff based music, so the riff is all-important. A great solo is icing on the cake...but icing by itself isn't that satisfying.

Actually, icing is my favorite part of the cake. I can eat frostng by itself, and I do. Any wonder I spent $3K in dental bills this year? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 9:01 pm

Wouldn't one list technically be enough if it's "all time"? Because it's the same nearly every time anyway. these are completely retarded.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time   Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gibson's Top 10 Metal Guitarists of All Time
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next