Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Empty
PostSubject: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 10:27 pm

New review up here: http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-world-is-manacled-place_10.html

Basically, get it for the DVD. Thanks for reading!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 12:46 pm

I got it today.

Man, watching Dave Holland drum is like watching a shakey roller coaster that's about to jump the tracks at any moment...he's not very graceful. It's almost like he's struggling to keep up...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I got it today.

Man, watching Dave Holland drum is like watching a shakey roller coaster that's about to jump the tracks at any moment...he's not very graceful. It's almost like he's struggling to keep up...

That's because he has a 14 year old boy tied to his throne.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 1:05 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I got it today.

That's because he has a 14 year old boy tied to his throne.

Shocked

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 1:11 pm

I always did this regarding Holland in Peiest surprised

When he first joined for British Steel, I remembered him from Trapeze and a Glenn Hughes solo album. He fit for British Steel and Point of Entry. IMHDO He was the weakest part of the albums after that. Weird how they were self proclaimed "metal" but had a rock and roll drummer. They could of easily found better players and Scott Travis was def a shot in the arm as far as musicianship in the pots and pans department.

PostSubject: Re: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 1:19 pm

I blame Scott Travis for the "let's become a speed metal band!" crap that started with Painkiller. That wasn't what Judas Priest was all about for me, I went back and revisited Painkiller a couple years ago and I still dislike it just as much as I did when it first came out.

I know that's considered blasphemy by most metal fans, but I see Painkiller as a bandwagon-jumping release by a group desperately trying to stay relevant in a scene that had passed them by.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 1:40 pm

S.D. wrote:
I blame Scott Travis for the "let's become a speed metal band!" crap that started with Painkiller. That wasn't what Judas Priest was all about for me, I went back and revisited Painkiller a couple years ago and I still dislike it just as much as I did when it first came out.

I know that's considered blasphemy by most metal fans, but I see Painkiller as a bandwagon-jumping release by a group desperately trying to stay relevant in a scene that had passed them by.

I still love Painkiller. In fact, I like all the Judas Priest albums except for Demolition (not Ripper's fault) and Nosteadamus (which I have not really heard). Travis did pull them more into the (then) modern realm of Metal, but JP had always absorbed the popular techniques of whatever era they were in.

PostSubject: Re: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 1:57 pm

My reaction to Painkiller had a lot to do with the fact that my musical interests at the time were moving in the opposite direction of where they were going...and they've never realigned since that time.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 2:52 pm

By the way thanks for the review, "Samantha-finder"

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 4:08 pm

James B. wrote:
By the way thanks for the review, "Samantha-finder"

lol!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 am

Painkiller is a monster listen, but pales with their earlier material, so yeah I say it's a bit overrated. Screaming though, damn, second greatest rock record of all-time. Good review I agree with, my only issue was that the mastering came off as rather thin compared to the previous remaster. Of course, listening to this on vinyl is an obvious counterpoint, but isn't it always?

My opinion on Priest's drummers is fairly unconventional. Holland was their best, but not technically speaking. He fit the music perfectly; everytime I hum a Priest song I have to include the drum flourishes (ex on Fever: dum dum, dum, duh duh dum, duh duh FEVER...!). And what he did on Screaming for Vengeance is somewhat unprecedented. Scott's a great drummer, but I felt like it was all about his double bass. What I don't get is why Holland doesn't get the credit he deserves, especially from the band. None of us should care if the guy was a sex offender; he was probably the most important drummer that Priest had!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 8:57 am

corplhicks wrote:
Painkiller is a monster listen, but pales with their earlier material, so yeah I say it's a bit overrated. Screaming though, damn, second greatest rock record of all-time. Good review I agree with, my only issue was that the mastering came off as rather thin compared to the previous remaster. Of course, listening to this on vinyl is an obvious counterpoint, but isn't it always?

My opinion on Priest's drummers is fairly unconventional. Holland was their best, but not technically speaking. He fit the music perfectly; everytime I hum a Priest song I have to include the drum flourishes (ex on Fever: dum dum, dum, duh duh dum, duh duh FEVER...!). And what he did on Screaming for Vengeance is somewhat unprecedented. Scott's a great drummer, but I felt like it was all about his double bass. What I don't get is why Holland doesn't get the credit he deserves, especially from the band. None of us should care if the guy was a sex offender; he was probably the most important drummer that Priest had!

This remaster is the same exact Jon Astley remaster as the 2001 series. It's loud as all hell and very compressed.

Holland was a limited drummer that held the band back. Compare him to Les Binks, who had great style and flair.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 10:55 am

Witchfinder wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

This remaster is the same exact Jon Astley remaster as the 2001 series. It's loud as all hell and very compressed.

Wow, then my ears have deceived me. BTW I should mention that the DVD is frigging spectacular. My son and I make time to watch it every weekend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 11:17 am

I'm also a fan of Holland, I could care less about how impressive his "chops" are...he had great feel to his playing and could lay down a monster groove.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition   Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Review of Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance 30th Anniversary Edition
Page 1 of 1