Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you hoard things besides music?

Go down 
+12
DallasBlack
snooloui
jstate
martinsane
chewie
exact33
Vexer6
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
manny
Shawn Of Fire
ZombieHavoc
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Taibhse
Metal novice
Metal novice
Taibhse

Number of posts : 40

Do you hoard things besides music? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do you hoard things besides music?   Do you hoard things besides music? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 5:57 pm

I sort of hoard band shirts and patches. I had about 80 shirts at last count and three patch vests on the go with plans for two more, plus a drawer of patches that I've yet to find homes for. I don't keep magazines but I like to hang onto fanzines, I have half a shelf of those. I also sort of collect teapots but I'm picky about them so I only have four at the moment.

I see that you mentioned 5,000 LPs as an example of a huge collection in the first post. I know a fella who had 5,000 LPs the last time he counted them- back in 1991. He won't even hazard a guess at how many he has now, plus an unknown number of CDs, EPs and tapes.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Do you hoard things besides music?   Do you hoard things besides music? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 8:59 pm

5000 CDs or LPs is a low number with some of our HoM members but for me I couldn't imagine having that much. I have close to 1500 CDs and it takes up 1/4 th of my closet.

I have some other stuff I collected but don't anymore. Like baseball cards, G.I. Joe toys (I wan't to get a bookcase and have them in a display-never happened and I'm not sure how I should sell them off-individually or as a whole, and for how much), ties (never wear them but still don't want to get rid of them), and magazines (though I've sold off about 80% of them).

I was going through a bunch of my stuff to put in storage room and I realize I may be more of a hoarder than I thought. I have so much stuff I don't use but won't get rid of. None of it is trash but I just don't want to get rid of it in case I do need it later. However, of all my problems this is the least critical.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Do you hoard things besides music?   Do you hoard things besides music? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 2:41 pm

This is something I used to do alot. Now I have gone more electronic in my habits. I download 80% of my music. I only buy cds I cant download or if its cheaper to buy...even then after I download the cheaper stuff i trade it off for more stuff to download and trade off..etc.
I have been selling off alot of my records and gave away tons of cassettes and magazines. I sold off some guitars and pedals I was not using and we got rid of alot of dvds and vhs and books. Now i read most magazines online...go to the library for books (and kindle). i have just enough clothes for about 2 weeks between laundry. My wife likes plants and nick nacs but she has been getting rid of alot of that. We are going to downsize soon from a huge 3 bedroom apartment to a smaller 2 bedroom. This is to save us money. I have an mp3 player and a boombox, a computer and a nintendo ds that I play the same game on over and over. I do have a nice stereo but I hardly ever use it anymore. I have less than 100 cds and maybe down to 150 records and maybe 80 cassettes. I have maybe 20 magazines left, a handful of posters and maybe 75 videos left. I have 2 guitars, 1 amp and 1 delay pedal. I used to have waaaay more.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Do you hoard things besides music?   Do you hoard things besides music? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 10:05 pm

chewie wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:
I guess I could say Musical instruments..

I have guitars, basses, ukes, banjo, mandolin, sitar, saxophones, clarinet, violin, drums, pianos, recording stuff.

So, when is that black metal album coming out?

Uh it's actually a neo-folk album with black metal influences
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Do you hoard things besides music?   Do you hoard things besides music? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 2:12 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I've moved too many times in my adult life to hoard anything. I like to keep possessions down to 1 room that's easy to move.

Moving around in my 20s is definitely what led me to streamlining what I felt I needed to keep. I used to have long boxes full of comics, hundreds of actions figures, stacks of mags, tons of books and graphic novels, boxes of cassettes that rarely got played. As I'd move, I'd let go of some things each time.

Same here. Moving out on my own back in my early 20's severly limited what I felt I needed to keep hanging around. Some baseball cards, comics and Star Wars toys are still in my parents basement, but my only collecting these days is in music. I'm assuming I'll be in my current house now till the day I die, but I have no interest in cluttering up the house with other tchotchkes.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Do you hoard things besides music?   Do you hoard things besides music? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 7:06 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I've moved too many times in my adult life to hoard anything. I like to keep possessions down to 1 room that's easy to move.

Moving around in my 20s is definitely what led me to streamlining what I felt I needed to keep. I used to have long boxes full of comics, hundreds of actions figures, stacks of mags, tons of books and graphic novels, boxes of cassettes that rarely got played. As I'd move, I'd let go of some things each time.

Same here. Moving out on my own back in my early 20's severly limited what I felt I needed to keep hanging around. Some baseball cards, comics and Star Wars toys are still in my parents basement, but my only collecting these days is in music. I'm assuming I'll be in my current house now till the day I die, but I have no interest in cluttering up the house with other tchotchkes.

same here. I would like to de-clutter more to be honest.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Do you hoard things besides music?   Do you hoard things besides music? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 9:51 am

We're starting to do that now. With my youngest going on 2, we've started sifting through all the baby-stuff, making more room. I'm supposed to clean out the garage this weekend too. I hate clutter.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Do you hoard things besides music?   Do you hoard things besides music? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 9:55 am

I'm off from work all next week and I expect to be doing quite a bit of de-cluttering around the house while the kids are at school. Certain things that they're too old to play with anymore but are still hanging around are likely to "disappear" mysteriously.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Do you hoard things besides music?   Do you hoard things besides music? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 5:28 pm

I think the reason why I have a hard time getting rid of stuff goes back to my childhood. Sold my Star Wars toys at a garage sale and soon they were discontinued. Sold my He-Man toys at a garage sale and soon they were discontinued. Much later I sold my G.I. Joe toys and soon after they were discontinued. All those toys sell real well (even ones out of the package and played with-though not worth as much as those in package but still go for good money). I don't want to get rid of stuff and then regret it later or have to buy them again (that's less money I have to spend on music Very Happy ).
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Do you hoard things besides music?   Do you hoard things besides music? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 10:55 am

GI Joe action figures were great for how flexible they were and the joints that moved. Loved doing pro wrestling with them. Unfortunately that band that held them together always ended up snapping.

He-Man figures were just too big and couldn't really be combined with other figures in any realistic play. So kind of hated those for that reason.

Still have most of my Star Wars ones. I should dig them out sometime. I think most of them came from a garage sale my mom came upon. That was a joyous day in our house when she brought home this giant bag of figures. Even before the collector frenzy to come, we were like "why would anyone get rid of these?"
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Do you hoard things besides music?   Do you hoard things besides music? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 8:51 pm

jstate wrote:
GI Joe action figures were great for how flexible they were and the joints that moved. Loved doing pro wrestling with them. Unfortunately that band that held them together always ended up snapping.

Wow! I thought I was the only one who did that Laughing

I'm going to put myself up for embarassment for this (though I haven't done it in over 5 years) but I bought the new wave of G.I. Joe's (2000-2007) with the idea of getting a display case and posing them (permanently with clay) for decoration. I was so bored that I eventually started my own wrestling organization and playing out storylines and inventing finishing moves (a lot of them that would look great in real life. I even used WWE No Mercy's (for N64) create-a-wrestler and the function that allowed you to edit the permanent wrestler's appearance and profile to make a game full of the G.I. Joe wrestlers (I had three other copies of that game; one that had all wreslters made up out of my head, one that I updated to reflect the [then] current RAW/Smackdown! roster, and one of nothing but fake second and third generation wreslters).

These days, the figures, weapons, accessories, and vehicles sit in storage bins. Haven't figured out what to do with them. Since I will probably never be able to do the orgional display idea, I've been thinking how I might be able to sell them off. However, a part of me keeps hoping the display idea would become a reality wich is why I haven't done so.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Do you hoard things besides music?   Do you hoard things besides music? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 9:43 am

Unless money becomes the issue, I say hold unto them. Who knows what they may be worth down the line.

I was so addicted to playing with my action figures in my made up wrestling federation I even went and made a ring for them. The WWF and AWA toy rings were too large and their figures didn't really move so I took it upon myself to build a scaled down version. I was so proud of that thing. And man when the Return Of The Jedi line of figures came out with all those freaky creatures from Jabba's palace .... let's just say my federation got interesting in a hurry.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you hoard things besides music?   Do you hoard things besides music? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you hoard things besides music?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2