Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?

Go down 
+12
ultmetal
Dark Horseman
Orion Crystal Ice
Temple of Blood
metalhead777
BearOnUnicycle
jettafiend
metalken
mc666
EmoElmo
chewie
stormspell
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Empty
PostSubject: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 11:12 pm

I remember back in the day every album used to have a ballad and/or instrumental track. It was pretty much a standard for the 80s heavy/power/speed metal. I wonder what happened and why and when this was dropped...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 11:23 pm

I miss little interludes like Rik Emmett used to do on Triumph albums.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 12:10 am

Oh Rik Emmett, the dude that EVH became famous for
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 12:20 am

EmoElmo wrote:

What are you talking about?

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 12:45 am

there are lots of bands still do instrumentals. intros, outros, interludes, full songs, all that. i can't really speak for modern power/speed/trad metal, but it's still a thing in death metal.

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 12:50 am

Instrumentals are still common in modern prog rock, of course that is expected.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 1:02 am

I will second that instrumental tracks have not really been heard of lately in the heavy/power/speed metal releases in the last little while. Can't really say when they seemed to lose favour with bands.
Losfer Words & Switch 625 are probably my favourite instrumentals from way back when.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 2:39 am

Dialectic Chaos off of Endgame comes to mind as a recent instrumental. Then there is Mutamitlu from The Mechanics of Perilous Times.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 5:16 am

I usually skip them anyway. Very few are good enough as intors/outros. Like "Initiation" or "Send Me A Sign" on Keepers.
As a recent intro, Sabaton made it on "Carolus Rex". And Enforcer with their instrumental "Diamonds"
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 6:34 am

Dan Johansen is a fairly under rated instrumental artist in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 6:36 am

People only care about vocals! It is 90% of what they talk about in album reviews! Even in bands whose focal point is not vocals, like NILE or VIO-LENCE.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:53 am

what irks me is that people will care about vocals, which is fine, but not lyrics (unless they suggest something Christian).....

I think there have been some good ones in the last decade..

major favorite..

Obviously....

also very good.

this one is slower, has some great shades of Satriani.

For me though, I'm not sure if Skyliner would ever do a full instrumental, although there's plenty of extended middle sections in the regular songs...(every song is like 7 minutes).. I just have a lot of stuff to write and I usually have some words that have to be married with a specific killer riff.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 11:45 am

Duh! I was listening to Warp Riders last night and it starts off with a killer instrumental on both side A and B.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 11:56 am

Rik Emmett (in case you didn't know):

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 12:10 pm

Emmet was a master of those little classical parts in a song.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Ultimatum recorded instrumentals on our last two full-length studio albums. "Mutamitlu" and "Into the Pit"

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39578

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 12:48 pm

chewie wrote:
I miss little interludes like Rik Emmett used to do on Triumph albums.

Yes ! Emmett was/is fantastic !
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 2:26 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Ultimatum recorded instrumentals on our last two full-length studio albums. "Mutamitlu" and "Into the Pit"

I totally forgot about "Into the Pit" angry
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
what irks me is that people will care about vocals, which is fine, but not lyrics (unless they suggest something Christian).....

I care about the lyrical content quite a bit and the vocal style, not as much but it still matters. There are some bands out there that have great lyrics but the vocalist is so bad or generic that the album is hard to listen to. The Guardian albums before Jamie Rowe come to mind as an uninspired vocalist with great lyrics.

Another example is Ultimatum. I heard a few clips on youtube and thought "wow, these guys suck!" but then I got a sampler off of Untombed.net that had "Mortal Stomp" on it. I played that track countless times and the unique style of Scott's voice has really grown on me (I actually bought several of the albums represented on that sampler). Ultimatum was a slow grower because of the vocals but the lyrics brought me back for another listen, and then it all clicked as a complete package.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 3:09 pm

S.D. wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:
I think this same thing after nearly everything this guy posts. lol!

Anyway, I still see plenty of instrumental tracks out there. Not as many, maybe, but I think that's probably for the best. Far too many of those on old albums sounded half-assed, no heart.

Of course, I appreciate instrumentals more now that I'm older. Hell, I got Monkey3 jammin' right now and they do some great instrumentals. Check out this cover (which is what is playing now):

Fantastic!
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 3:20 pm

I think it's because there's a lot less emphasis on technical skill nowadays. Whilst being an amazing guitar player could make you rich and famous in the 80s, it will most likely get you a thousand Youtube subscribers instead right now.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:25 pm

S.D. wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

EVH ripped-off Emmett...he has been doing the two-handed "Rock" tapping long before "Eruption" bacame popular
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:45 pm

A lot of the stuff I listen to is solely instrumental. It happens a lot in doom/sludge, post-rock, post-metal, atmospheric stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:48 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
S.D. wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

EVH ripped-off Emmett...he has been doing the two-handed "Rock" tapping long before "Eruption" bacame popular

Other players had done that prior to Emmett, both Allan Holdsworth (who Eddie has stated was one of his major influences) and Steve Hackett for instance. Eddie refined it into something completely unique to him though, so I don't think he ripped off anyone. Eddie was trying to find a way to replicate violin style runs on the guitar.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 10:47 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
S.D. wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

Seriously, dude? That technique was around before Emmett and EVH could even walk.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?   Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Instrumental tracks on albums, a lost art of the 80s?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next