Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Butt Rock"

Go down 
+21
jstate
ZombieHavoc
Hadley
DallasBlack
manny
Orion Crystal Ice
metalheaded
sheets
MetalGuy71
TheGreatDuck
Dark Horseman
Lari
jettafiend
snooloui
Required Fields
stepcousin
thejokeriv
mc666
nevermore
Troublezone
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

"Butt Rock" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 5:55 pm

I think another great music-related term, dad rock, also deserves a mention here.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 6:30 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
I think another great music-related term, dad rock, also deserves a mention here.

surprised
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 7:30 pm

I wonder if this could be considered "butt rock"?

"Butt Rock" - Page 2 34897969

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Loverboy did it first.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 7:09 pm

jettafiend wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

surprised
Basically, a term used by hipsters and music snobs to diss classic rock bands they think are obsolete, often close to what is considered butt rock or rooster rock. The most frequent victims are bands such as Kiss, Journey, Styx, Foreigner, Ted Nugent, BTO, Kansas etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 7:14 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

surprised
Basically, a term used by hipsters and music snobs to diss classic rock bands they think are obsolete, often close to what is considered butt rock or rooster rock. The most frequent victims are bands such as Kiss, Journey, Styx, Foreigner, Ted Nugent, BTO, Kansas etc.

Stuff your "Dad" listened to in other words.

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 7:39 pm

S.D. wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

surprised

Ok, I get that. Which in my case would be stuff like the Stones, Yardbirds, Kinks, Etc... from the Brit-Invasion. People are morons. The terminology war is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 8:05 pm

My Dad listened to lots of Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Yes, CSN&Y, Santana, ELP, etc.

He was also the person that introduced me to Thin Lizzy, Robin Trower and Rainbow.

So "Dad Rock" is perfectly okay with me. I'm sure it depends on the Dad in question. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 8:38 pm

S.D. wrote:
My Dad listened to lots of Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Yes, CSN&Y, Santana, ELP, etc.

He was also the person that introduced me to Thin Lizzy, Robin Trower and Rainbow.

So "Dad Rock" is perfectly okay with me. I'm sure it depends on the Dad in question. Very Happy

Definitely, I would take it more as a compliment myself than anything else. "Mom Rock"...Not so much. That's more of the Crapenters and John Denver.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 8:41 pm

jettafiend wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Definitely, I would take it more as a compliment myself than anything else. "Mom Rock"...Not so much. That's more of the Crapenters and John Denver.

I happen to like John Denver, you calling me a woman!? "Butt Rock" - Page 2 505193
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 9:28 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I happen to like John Denver, you calling me a woman!? "Butt Rock" - Page 2 505193

Nope, My mom lol!
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 11:10 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I'll do it! Yer a Woman, DB....

[gonna go listen to some Abba myself, now....]
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 8:55 am

TheGreatDuck wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

surprised

Whats weird is that most "music snobs" and "hipsters" seem to LOVE Queen (ditto Cheap Trick and ELO for that matter), and most queen fans also listened to all those bands dismissed as "dad rock".
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:44 am

I also dislike the term "hair metal"...that seems diminutive to me.

I am perfectly fine with pop metal as a term, though I don't think that really captures it either. There are too many sub-genres. I don't really feel that, while I like both bands, Firehouse and Pretty Boy Floyd are the same enough to be part of the same label, other than the overarhing 'rock n' roll'. Firehouse is not sleaze, and PBF is not melodic rock (in the way it is used to describe bands like FH, Von Groove, Treat, etc.)
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:55 am

Hadley wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

surprised

Whats weird is that most "music snobs" and "hipsters" seem to LOVE Queen (ditto Cheap Trick and ELO for that matter), and most queen fans also listened to all those bands dismissed as "dad rock".

*long extended hipster sigh* You knowwww, there's just no good music out anymore. Good quality music. Where is it? Like Queen. That was real music. Only Radiohead comes close.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 10:11 am

I never liked the "hair metal" term either. But after awhile I just accepted it. Back in the day we used to call most of it "party metal".
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 10:27 am

jstate wrote:
I never liked the "hair metal" term either. But after awhile I just accepted it. Back in the day we used to call most of it "party metal".

I accept, support and will use the term "party metal".
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 10:32 am

TheGreatDuck wrote:

That's a new one on me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 1:20 am

Did the DJ mention man panties by any chance?
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 2:59 am

S.D. wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

surprised

Stuff that's usually on classic rock radio stations is considered dad-rock. The music is too popular and not elitist enough.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 8:14 am

Big Rich wrote:

You're an ass.... Go listen to some Ass Rock, SUC.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 4:41 pm

When I worked at Guitar center some of the non metal guys who were totally into electronica used this term...

Why cant we just say it's late 80's hard rock..... cant see what they look like when I'm driving in my car anyway.... lol....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 5:45 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Big Rich wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 6:27 pm

Big Rich wrote:
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Big Rich wrote:

lol!

March ain't too far away. Plenty of time to plan my revenge, though.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Butt Rock"
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2