Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Butt Rock"

Go down 
+21
jstate
ZombieHavoc
Hadley
DallasBlack
manny
Orion Crystal Ice
metalheaded
sheets
MetalGuy71
TheGreatDuck
Dark Horseman
Lari
jettafiend
snooloui
Required Fields
stepcousin
thejokeriv
mc666
nevermore
Troublezone
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 8:57 pm

Heard someone on the radio calling late 80's glam/hair "Butt Rock" today. Anyone else heard that term? Or was that just an ignorant sportsradio host thinking he was being 80's mainstream? He mentioned Skid Row, Sleeze Beez, and Helloween. Which make me already know he is uneducated. But, back to the "Butt Rock". I have never heard that desciptor. Anyone else have?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 9:00 pm

The guy just made up a stupid term that doesn't make sense.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 9:08 pm

I've heard it before. And it's usually someone who thinks they have some type of indie rock cred trying be insulting. It's a really stupid term.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 9:09 pm

funny, but just a personal descriptor. not an actual genre. nothing wrong with it, just take it for what it's worth.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 9:19 pm

Never heard that term before - the closest was when my brother was in a band and a lesbian folk outfit was going to play before them and called his band "rooster rock" as an insult. Someone accidentally knocked the singer's guitar over and she started crying and refused to play her set because of it....
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 12:37 am

I've heard of it before. kinda stupid. Back in 1987 when G'n'R came out and then all the G'n'R clones soon followed, I came up with the term "Bandana Rock" about a year later. Didn't stick......
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 1:34 am

I have heard the term a number of times before.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 2:35 am

When I lived in Seattle that was the primary term to describe "hair metal". Everyone called it Butt Rock, that was late 90s.

It was essentially a derogatory term used for any "image band".
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 3:40 am

I think it's a derogatory term for Hair Metal which in turn is a derogatory term for Glam Metal. In my experience it is used to describe a band with an over-the-top image, music style etc. I've heard it used to describe The Darkness for example. It's a stupid term though and used by people who have no clue what they are talking about.
Back to top Go down

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 3:43 am

I still think the most accurate term for all that stuff is "Pop Metal". That was what it was generally called in the 80s.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 5:34 am

Yup, as S.D. said it is the general descriptor used by "people" to describe what they consider to be "Butt Rock" 576953 music. AKA - Bands like Poison, Ratt, Warrant... Pop Metal, Hair Metal, Glam Metal bands. Whats really stupid is that this descriptor was not limited to the (at the time) alternative/grunge/punks but the hardcore metal heads used it as well. In 2001, KUFO in Portland used to have a show hosted by Craig-the-dog-faced-boy and Porkchop called, I am not making this up, The Butt-Rock Basement. You can pretty much figure out the playlist.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 7:42 am

This made me think of the Steel Panther video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfB7vF7nCdA

... skip to around the 3 minute mark for the awkward dialogue.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 12:03 pm

I've heard it plenty usually referring to 80's hair metal.

Quote :
It was essentially a derogatory term used for any "image band

I understand what you're saying but every band has an image they're trying to portray even if it was that you wear dirty flannel.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 3:47 pm

This is what I would consider "Butt-Rock", I love me some Purple, but this song (IMO) should not have been recorded.

Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 4:37 pm

This is one of the best songs they ever recorded, man.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 9:47 am

I've heard the term thrown around by folks that think they're too cool for that kind of music. But then again, I'm too f**king cool for the likes of them.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 12:37 pm

Right, right. I'm still in awe that we are allowed to post on this board with you. "Butt Rock" 591800
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 12:39 pm

I've seen the term used online by young and ignorant kids to describe basically any 1970s-80s hard rock (e.g., Led Zeppelin, Van Halen). It's an easy way to identity morons Smile
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 2:56 pm

I've always thought it referred to the whole "mullet-Def Leppard-Joe Dirt-Judas Priest" kind of image. People who aren't metalheads or don't appreciate hard rock/metal (particularly from the 80s) tend to use the term, and just come off looking and sounding like dumb asses, quite frankly.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 3:07 pm

I know what 'butt rap' is:

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I know what 'butt rap' is:

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 3:14 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
This is one of the best songs they ever recorded, man.

I am firmly in the minority here, but it's all good. The music as always, is solid Purple, and this album also saw their greatest song (IMO), Perfect Strangers. This track lyrically however, is just gross. I will give some respect for the band and say that the way it is written is brilliant, but once I figured out what it was that they were talking about, I can't listen to the song anymore.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 5:10 pm

DLR in his chaps qualifies as butt rock.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 5:15 pm

In the sleeve for W.A.S.P.'s "Last Command" record, there was an order form in which you could order your very own assless chaps to be just like Chris Holmes.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Another stupid term thought up by a bunch hairy virginal hipsters
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"Butt Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Butt Rock"   "Butt Rock" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Butt Rock"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next