Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

King Crimson reforming?

Go down 
+3
Shawn Of Fire
James B.
Wurthless
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

King Crimson reforming?  Empty
PostSubject: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Straight from Robert Fripp's diary, July 22nd.

http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=22091

Quote :
Rising from an eventful night, reforming King Crimson. While in discussions with T Lev, Adrian Belewbeloid and the promoter, the promoter announced our 70 dates in November and December. Did this include Christmas, I wondered? I was seriously committed to the reformation and yet - here it was all over again: plans made without much consideration for the players’ quality of life. Well. Something of a relief to rise at 06.00.

\'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 7:58 pm

King Crimson never really "breaks up" anyway, they just go on hiatus until Fripp decides he has music that only KC can realize. Of course anytime Fripp & Belew decide to get together and create music it's a cause for celebration. Glad to hear that Tony Levin is involved with these plans, he's an integral part of the Discipline & later group.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 8:30 pm

I wonder who he'll bring in on drums for the lineup?

The Discipline lineup is one of my favorites, so I'll likely be happy with whatever they put out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Wurthless wrote:
I wonder who he'll bring in on drums for the lineup?

The Discipline lineup is one of my favorites, so I'll likely be happy with whatever they put out.

Pat Mastelotto most likely, he's been with Crimson since THRAK and was the sole drummer on the last King Crimson album "The Power To Believe" in 2003.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 10:53 pm

Kewlness, need some new headphone tuneage

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 11:40 am

I'm just now giving KC any decent amount of attention.

I have digital copies of Islands, Larks Tongues In Aspic, Discipline and Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With...just a cross-section ripped from a buddy of mine.

I know that the line up really fluctuates. I also know that the sound from record to record tends to swing pretty widely. The 4 I have are testament to that.

My first exposure to KC was actually a live video of theirs. I can't recall the name, but it had Belew, Gunn, Levin, Bruford, another percussionist and Fripp was seated above the stage by himself (above the drums). It was fascinating to watch.

The local used shop has Beat and The Dekonstruction Of Light for like $7 each. What's the consensus on these two? I'm considering adding KC to my list of "hard copy" bands. I really like the 4 I have on my iPod.

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Beat is very similar to Discipline and worth picking up. I'm not that crazy about Construktion (neither is the band who were unhappy with the recording) however the followup Power To Believe is great.

Red
In The Court Of The Crimson King
Starless & Bible Black
In The Wake Of Poseidon
Lizard

Those are all essential. I would also grab THRAK if you see it.

One thing though, King Crimson is the very definition of a "live band", they never play their songs the same way twice and improvise a great deal. That is where the magic lies. Many of their live recordings are superior to their studio albums.

The Collectable King Crimson Vol. 1 (Live In Mainz/Live in Asbury Park) would be my very first choice King Crimson to get.

The Night Watch is also definitive.

For live DVDs I would suggest getting "Eyes Wide Open", an amazing performance in Japan filmed on the Power To Believe tour.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:23 pm

S.D. wrote:
Beat is very similar to Discipline and worth picking up. I'm not that crazy about Construktion (neither is the band who were unhappy with the recording) however the followup Power To Believe is great.

Red
In The Court Of The Crimson King
Starless & Bible Black
In The Wake Of Poseidon
Lizard

Those are all essential. I would also grab THRAK if you see it.

One thing though, King Crimson is the very definition of a "live band", they never play their songs the same way twice and improvise a great deal. That is where the magic lies. Many of their live recordings are superior to their studio albums.

The Collectable King Crimson Vol. 1 (Live In Mainz/Live in Asbury Park) would be my very first choice King Crimson to get.

The Night Watch is also definitive.

For live DVDs I would suggest getting "Eyes Wide Open", an amazing performance in Japan filmed on the Power To Believe tour.

Thanks for the rec's! cool

Is the sound really bad on TDOL? I've heard it's a dark and heavy album. But the reviews on ProgArchives are pretty varied. Some think it's among KCs best, some think it's the worst. Ha!

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:25 pm

No, the sound isn't that bad, the band just wasn't happy with it. The best songs from that album are on the Eyes Wide Open DVD and they come off much better live. The band let that album go out of print and have no plans to reissue it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:28 pm

S.D. wrote:
No, the sound isn't that bad, the band just wasn't happy with it. The best songs from that album are on the Eyes Wide Open DVD and they come off much better live. The band let that album go out of print and have no plans to reissue it.

If I grab one, I'll grab the other...which will kick off my KC collection (again...I had a couple once before a couple years back...I don't think my psyche was ready for them).

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:33 pm

I got into King Crimson at the same time I was exploring jazz, one of the few rock bands that seems to have just as many fans from both the jazz and prog rock crowds. They can seem daunting at first, but once you start to notice all the layers you realize how incredibly complex and rewarding their music is. Truly a one-of-a-kind group.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:50 pm

S.D. wrote:
I got into King Crimson at the same time I was exploring jazz, one of the few rock bands that seems to have just as many fans from both the jazz and prog rock crowds. They can seem daunting at first, but once you start to notice all the layers you realize how incredibly complex and rewarding their music is. Truly a one-of-a-kind group.

Yeah, nobody really sounds like KC other than KC... lol!

Thanks for the rec's, again...

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:57 pm

I have these vinyls....
King Crimson reforming?  In_the_Court_of_the_Crimson_King
King Crimson reforming?  220px-In_the_Wake_of_Poseidon
King Crimson reforming?  220px-Lizard%2C_King_Crimson
King Crimson reforming?  220px-Larks_tongues_in_aspic_album_cover
King Crimson reforming?  220px-King_Crimson_-_USA

Other than that, nothing

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 2:06 pm

I discovered these guys years ago when I was still a teenager, my collection of theirs is still pretty sparse but here is what I own so far:

In the Court of the Crimson King
Lizard
Islands
Red
Frame by Frame (4 CD boxset)

and on DVD:

Jack, Neal and Me
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 2:14 pm

When I decided that being a party, girl getting musician was more my thing than being "that" kind of musician. I quit listening to them on a regular basis. Also, I think that my discontinued use of marijauna had alot to do with that decision as well.

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 2:26 pm

I've never considered them to be in any way a "stoner band", I think you get more out of their music in a completely sober state of mind.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 2:36 pm

S.D. wrote:
I've never considered them to be in any way a "stoner band", I think you get more out of their music in a completely sober state of mind.

Well, when I began listening to them in like 76' or so, I did with headphones and a bong. The dude who turned me onto them (20 something year old boyfriend of a sister) did the same thing as I did. It was part of the trip listening to that style of music with a head change. The same principal applies to why I don't listen to much Pink Floyd anymore. They were also a headphone/dope smoking trip back in the mid to late 1970's. Since you were not smoking weed back then, I can see how/why you don't consider them to be that type of band.

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Well, I didn't discover them until the mid-90s, but it was at a point in my life where I wasn't smoking. I've listened to their albums both sober and high, but I don't think smoking adds any element that isn't already there.

There are some bands I can only listen to when I'm stoned, but those are usually kind of sloppy groups with mediocre musicians that require some extra "element" for me to truly enjoy.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 2:47 pm

S.D. wrote:
Well, I didn't discover them until the mid-90s, but it was at a point in my life where I wasn't smoking. I've listened to their albums both sober and high, but I don't think smoking adds any element that isn't already there.

There are some bands I can only listen to when I'm stoned, but those are usually kind of sloppy groups with mediocre musicians that require some extra "element" for me to truly enjoy.

I hear ya

Been going through the motions way too much lately ragarding listening habits. So returning back to the past with a different set of ears seems like a path I'm gonna be taking. I have "boxes" of albums I havn't even looked in for years.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:24 am

It is completely necessary for Pelata to acquire everything from the debut up through 'Red', and a good smattering of the live recordings - which Discipline Global Mobile has been generously putting out over the years - from that time as well.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 9:32 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
It is completely necessary for Pelata to acquire everything from the debut up through 'Red', and a good smattering of the live recordings - which Discipline Global Mobile has been generously putting out over the years - from that time as well.

This!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 am

Yeah, I am really wanting to start grabbing some KC. I would like some decent sounding remasters, but don't care about the big, deluxe, 5.1, multi-disc formats or anything at this point. Did they ever do like Floyd back in the 90s and just issue a run of standard remasters?

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Yeah, I am really wanting to start grabbing some KC. I would like some decent sounding remasters, but don't care about the big, deluxe, 5.1, multi-disc formats or anything at this point. Did they ever do like Floyd back in the 90s and just issue a run of standard remasters?

The 30th Anniversary series are the single disc issues (no bonus tracks).

The 40th Anniversary issues feature 1 CD (Steven Wilson remix + selected bonus tracks) + a DVD-A with bonus tracks, high resolution stereo mix, 5.1 mixes, original remastered mixes, LP rips, video clips, etc.

I'm sure the 30th Anniversary editions will suffice for you, but I will say the 40th series are by far the best sounding and the bonus material is essential. The 40th series also includes the 30th remasters on the DVD-A.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 10:54 am

S.D. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

The 30th Anniversary series are the single disc issues (no bonus tracks).

The 40th Anniversary issues feature 1 CD (Steven Wilson remix + selected bonus tracks) + a DVD-A with bonus tracks, high resolution stereo mix, 5.1 mixes, original remastered mixes, LP rips, video clips, etc.

I'm sure the 30th Anniversary editions will suffice for you, but I will say the 40th series are by far the best sounding and the bonus material is essential. The 40th series also includes the 30th remasters on the DVD-A.

Yeah, those 30th Anniversary Editions sound like my ticket. They'd be the happy medium between original mix and remastered sound. I have no doubt that Wilson's remixes sound amazing. But I'd rather get to know the original mixes first...

Thanks!

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 11:07 am

There actually are a couple bonus tracks on the 30th series. In The Wake Of Poseidon contains "Groon" which was a b-side to a single. Discipline contains an alternate version of Matte Kudesai with an alternate guitar solo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: King Crimson reforming?    King Crimson reforming?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

King Crimson reforming?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next