Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question about King Crimson release editions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

Question about King Crimson release editions Empty
PostSubject: Question about King Crimson release editions   Question about King Crimson release editions Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm going to use some Christmas money to get some King Crimson cds and I'm wondering about the different versions, namely what's the difference between the 30th and 40th anniversary releases, really? I know the 40th editions are being remastered by Steven Wilson, and while I'm sure they're great, they all cost too much, in my opinion.

I can get the 30th anniversary editions for much cheaper. I already have these for In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Red, and Starless and Bible Black, and they all seem just fine to me.

So is there any truly compelling reason I should get the 40th anniversary versions?
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Question about King Crimson release editions   Question about King Crimson release editions Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 8:49 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
I'm going to use some Christmas money to get some King Crimson cds and I'm wondering about the different versions, namely what's the difference between the 30th and 40th anniversary releases, really? I know the 40th editions are being remastered by Steven Wilson, and while I'm sure they're great, they all cost too much, in my opinion.

I can get the 30th anniversary editions for much cheaper. I already have these for In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Red, and Starless and Bible Black, and they all seem just fine to me.

So is there any truly compelling reason I should get the 40th anniversary versions?

I recently had the same dilemma actually. I purchased the 30th Anniversary versions, and they all sound fine to me (but I'm not the audiophile that S.D. is, so I would wait until he sees this thread). And I definitely agree on the 40th Anniversary editions being overpriced. I've heard the 40th anniversary editions of In the Court and In the Wake, and I wasn't disappointed with the sound of the 30th Anniversary editions at all.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Question about King Crimson release editions   Question about King Crimson release editions Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:34 am

If you have a component stereo system, get a passsive EQ and mix it yourself. Works for me.

I can tinker with 12 different sound modulations on each (stereo) channel. Thus making my ears smile.

PostSubject: Re: Question about King Crimson release editions   Question about King Crimson release editions Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 1:05 pm

The 40th Anniversary releases are laid out like this:

Disc One: Audio CD - Steven Wilson REMIX from the original session reels, Robert Fripp approved. (none of these albums ever sounded better)

Disc Two: DVD - new 5.1 mix, high resolution stereo (24bit/96khz), 30th Anniversary remaster and bonus material

So if you buy the 40th Anniversary editions you also get the 30th Anniversary remasters included.

Which should you buy???

Depends on how much of a King Crimson fanatic you are. Considering the wealth of extra material included the 40th Anniversary editions are a MUCH better value, but if you just want the original albums then the 30th Anniversary editions should be sufficient.

Word of warning: The 30th editions contain no bonus material.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about King Crimson release editions   Question about King Crimson release editions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about King Crimson release editions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: