Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Stryper album for starters?

Go down 
+28
mikeinfla
Shawn Of Fire
shamgar75
DevZor
truerock
Big Rich
brokentulsa
JBall_Z
T-Roy
jstate
nevermore
stepcousin
Thrasher73
Addy
mc666
chewie
Wurthless
Fat Freddy
Dark Horseman
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
Troublezone
jettafiend
thejokeriv
Sutekh
exact33
EmoElmo
muckie
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 11:55 am

ultmetal wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Sutekh wrote:
Soldiers Under Command or To Hell... have that combination of metal attitude and riffing with an increasingly commercial sensibility perfect as a starting point.

Yep, this! If you have to start with one, start with THWTD

Winner.

In God We Trust is very glossy compared to THWTH and SUC. I also recommend Against the Law.
THIS

I'm surprised how much attention IGWT is getting. This was the album that ended my interest in Stryper....and I was a HUGE fanboy at that time.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 12:27 pm

I agree, "To Hell with the Devil" and "Soldiers..." are the best place to start. Against the Law is good too.

I may have to revisit IGWT since so many people seem to like it.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 6:54 pm

Soldiers under command and against the law is where I would start.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 7:20 pm

Wurthless wrote:
muckie wrote:
Wurthless wrote:
I checked out some Stryper, and I liked a grand total of 5 songs I heard. Believe me, it has nothing to do with me not being christian. I just couldn't stand how cheesy their songwriting is. "Christ is the lover of your soul..."; I'll stick to Theocracy when I want to hear christian metal.

Notwithstanding, Soldiers Under Command is a kick-ass metal song.

I'm a christian myself and after listening to songs like "To Hell with the Devil", I must say, the music isn't too bad but the lyrics are hilarious! It's mostly how it's all presented. Though that makes Stryper kind of fun in their own way just like Winger would be, IMHO.

Actually, that sums up pretty well how I feel about them. Some of the music is really good, and the vocals are phenomenal, but the lyrics are just too cheesy/cringe worthy for me to enjoy.

Just like most hair bands. They just had less to sing about since their lyrics were so focused on God. Can't sing abouit humping, fighting and fast care when you are singing about God.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 7:21 pm

T-Roy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Sutekh wrote:
Soldiers Under Command or To Hell... have that combination of metal attitude and riffing with an increasingly commercial sensibility perfect as a starting point.

Winner.

In God We Trust is very glossy compared to THWTH and SUC. I also recommend Against the Law.
THIS

I'm surprised how much attention IGWT is getting. This was the album that ended my interest in Stryper....and I was a HUGE fanboy at that time.

Too bad, they've made some pretty good music since then. Even their newer stuff is pretty good.

IGWT has 7 really good songs, and 3 really bad ones. At least they put the really bad ones the last 3 on the record.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:36 pm

JBall_Z wrote:
I agree, "To Hell with the Devil" and "Soldiers..." are the best place to start. Against the Law is good too.

I may have to revisit IGWT since so many people seem to like it.

I like IGWT a lot (loved it back in the day). Whilst it was commercially successful, I don't think it's completely representative of the band's sound for a starter album. I think its super slick production would put people off digging deeper into their catalogue.
Back to top Go down
truerock
Metal novice
Metal novice
truerock

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 1:01 pm

To Hell With the Devil is the best Stryper's album for me !
Back to top Go down
http://truerock3.caster.fm/
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 2:27 pm

Big Rich wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Sutekh wrote:

Winner.

THIS

Too bad, they've made some pretty good music since then. Even their newer stuff is pretty good.

IGWT has 7 really good songs, and 3 really bad ones. At least they put the really bad ones the last 3 on the record.
Well maybe I should check out some post IGWT Stryper. I've never heard/bought anything after that.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 2:42 pm

BTW, I made my own S.U.C. cover graphic for my iPod album...feel free to steal it from me. Don't get me wrong...the A-TEAM/Stryper van with mounted M62 is totally metal!
Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 SUCsmall
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 9:58 am

T- Roy, check out Murder ByP ride. Most old schools fans thought it was good.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 5:14 pm

Just threw soldiers on the turntable and absolutely cranking it! headbanger

I don't think a guy can go wrong with either soldiers or to hell with the devil. There cheesy but just so much friggin fun.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Against the Law for the best sound.

Soldiers Under Command and To Hell with the Devil overall.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 8:35 am

I think all of the original Stryper albums are good. IGWT, aside from the super slick production, has some killer Metal tunes on it. "The Reign", "Writings On The Wall"...and "Lonely" is one of the best ballads they ever did.

Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 1:03 am

EmoElmo wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:
"Reborn"?  lol!

fanboy's take please? Can your favorite band do no wrong?

Reborn was (if you'll excuse the pun) God-awful.

Indeed.

I disagree. I love that album and When Did I See You Cry is one of my fave Stryper songs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 1:07 am

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 8:14 am

Since we are bringing up an old thread it would now be worth mentioning No More Hell To Pay.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 8:17 am

mikeinfla wrote:
Since we are bringing up an old thread it would now be worth mentioning No More Hell To Pay.

Oh yea, NMHTP is faaaaaanfriggintastic. Their best in a very long time.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 9:42 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
mikeinfla wrote:

Yep fantastic album!!!!!
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 11:14 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
mikeinfla wrote:

Yep fantastic album!!!!!

It might be my favorite Stryper album. It's definitely their most consistent since the one ballad is actually good. Smile
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 11:43 am

Painkiller wrote:

I recently got rid of my vinyl copy of Soldiers Under Command for Oz's III Warning.

Wouldn't "traded it" be more honest than saying "got rid of" ?  Seems both sides got something just as good or better without hiding implications of getting over or some subjective leanings of having better musical tastes.

Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 2:49 pm

I think Stryper and Savatage (pre-death) are the two bands who I like all their albums.

No More Hell To Pay is amazing, but I may be one of 3 people who like Reborn.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 3:03 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 3:11 pm

Are you guys really going to argue about that?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 3:44 pm

Wurthless wrote:
I checked out some Stryper, and I liked a grand total of 5 songs I heard. Believe me, it has nothing to do with me not being christian. I just couldn't stand how cheesy their songwriting is. "Christ is the lover of your soul..."; I'll stick to Theocracy when I want to hear christian metal.

Notwithstanding, Soldiers Under Command is a kick-ass metal song.

Then get Against The Law. They were actually criticized for the lack of "Praise Jesus" lyrics on that album. Also for the song Lady because the music video portrayed a sexy woman (though the actual song was about Michael's wife).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

Number of posts : 280

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 5:15 pm

I´m not a hughe fan os Stryper , but I can say I like To Hell With The Devil and The Yellow and Black Attack a lot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Stryper album for starters?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2