Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Stryper album for starters?

Go down 
+28
mikeinfla
Shawn Of Fire
shamgar75
DevZor
truerock
Big Rich
brokentulsa
JBall_Z
T-Roy
jstate
nevermore
stepcousin
Thrasher73
Addy
mc666
chewie
Wurthless
Fat Freddy
Dark Horseman
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
Troublezone
jettafiend
thejokeriv
Sutekh
exact33
EmoElmo
muckie
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Best Stryper album for starters? Empty
PostSubject: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 8:20 pm

I want to start getting into them, so which would be the best to begin with?
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 8:23 pm

In God We Trust and To Hell with The Devil
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 8:24 pm

EmoElmo wrote:

seconded.

Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Soldiers Under Command or To Hell... have that combination of metal attitude and riffing with an increasingly commercial sensibility perfect as a starting point.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Sutekh wrote:
Soldiers Under Command or To Hell... have that combination of metal attitude and riffing with an increasingly commercial sensibility perfect as a starting point.

Yep, this! If you have to start with one, start with THWTD
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 9:16 pm

My personal favorite is Against the Law, but to be honest I think that THWD is probably the best spot for jumping off.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 9:21 pm

7, the "best of" album. It would give someone a taste of everything.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 9:30 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Sutekh wrote:

Yep, this! If you have to start with one, start with THWTD

Winner.

In God We Trust is very glossy compared to THWTH and SUC. I also recommend Against the Law.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 10:02 pm

In God We Trust
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 10:14 pm

Hard to really say as they are all a little different so your tastes might differ. I think Troublezone's idea is a good one.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37647

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 11:01 pm

I've kinda burned myself out on Soldiers... and To Hell... over the years, but I still love me some Against the Law, Yellow & Black Attack, and lately I've been really digging the Murder By Pride disc.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 11:14 pm

I checked out some Stryper, and I liked a grand total of 5 songs I heard. Believe me, it has nothing to do with me not being christian. I just couldn't stand how cheesy their songwriting is. "Christ is the lover of your soul..."; I'll stick to Theocracy when I want to hear christian metal.

Notwithstanding, Soldiers Under Command is a kick-ass metal song.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 12:48 am

Soldiers or Against The Law, can't go wrong with either of those two.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 1:07 am

Wurthless wrote:
I checked out some Stryper, and I liked a grand total of 5 songs I heard. Believe me, it has nothing to do with me not being christian. I just couldn't stand how cheesy their songwriting is. "Christ is the lover of your soul..."; I'll stick to Theocracy when I want to hear christian metal.

I'm a christian myself and after listening to songs like "To Hell with the Devil", I must say, the music isn't too bad but the lyrics are hilarious! It's mostly how it's all presented. Though that makes Stryper kind of fun in their own way just like Winger would be, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 1:15 am

muckie wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

I'm a christian myself and after listening to songs like "To Hell with the Devil", I must say, the music isn't too bad but the lyrics are hilarious! It's mostly how it's all presented. Though that makes Stryper kind of fun in their own way just like Winger would be, IMHO.

Actually, that sums up pretty well how I feel about them. Some of the music is really good, and the vocals are phenomenal, but the lyrics are just too cheesy/cringe worthy for me to enjoy.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 1:40 am

i really don't think you would go wrong with an of them. Michael Sweet always sounds awesome!

Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 6:16 am

exact33 wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

seconded.

I gotta disagree about In God We Trust

My recommendations would be Soliders Under Command and To Hell With the Devil that was my first exposure to Stryper then The Yellow & Black Attack

Though if it were me stay away from Against the Law and Reborn

Murder by Pride is a great album IMO as is their covers album
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 6:58 am

"Reborn"? lol!

fanboy's take please? Can your favorite band do no wrong?
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:14 am

Addy wrote:
exact33 wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

seconded.

I gotta disagree about In God We Trust

My recommendations would be Soliders Under Command and To Hell With the Devil that was my first exposure to Stryper then The Yellow & Black Attack

Though if it were me stay away from Against the Law and Reborn

Murder by Pride is a great album IMO as is their covers album

I think most of our favorite records from our fav bands has something to do with first exposures, My first introduction to Stryper was their compilation "Can't Stop the Rock" it was played regularly in my car tape deck , having acquired 3 of their CDs several years after made me want to re-purchase the "Rock' Album once more because I thought those 2 bonus tracks were standouts

Although "Can't Stop the Rock" isn't technically counted as an album, it's still remains as my Favorite Stryper CD because of the lasting first impression it gave me
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37647

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 8:40 am

EmoElmo wrote:
"Reborn"? lol!

Reborn was (if you'll excuse the pun) God-awful.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 9:16 am

Soldiers or THWTD. Every Stryper album is good in my book though.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 9:35 am

if you're into 80's "hair metal" then THWTD. If you're into early 80's heavy metal, go with SUC. If you like late 80's/early 90's hard rock like Skid Row or Tesla, then Against The Law.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 11:38 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:
"Reborn"? lol!

Reborn was (if you'll excuse the pun) God-awful.

Indeed.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25871

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 4:04 am

Either Soldiers Under Command or To Hell With The Devil. You won't go wrong with either one of these.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 11:43 am

I always found Stryper's earlier stuff for people just discovering them today to be "you had to be there" material. I love it, but can see why it might not be a good starting point. Go with Murder By Pride.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Stryper album for starters?   Best Stryper album for starters? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Stryper album for starters?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next