Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does metal have three sides?

Go down 
+17
T-Roy
DallasBlack
metalhead777
arachnoplasma
brokentulsa
HeavyMetal
krokus
Shawn Of Fire
Grimmo
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
tohostudios
Orion Crystal Ice
exact33
ultmetal
jettafiend
vgmaster9
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
vgmaster9
Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

Number of posts : 56

Does metal have three sides? Empty
PostSubject: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 4:42 pm

I tend to notice something there. There are tons of metal genres, but I think there tend to be three major fanbases in the genre. First we have melodic metal, which consist of traditional heavy metal, power metal, progressive metal, doom metal, symphonic metal, gothic metal, ect. We also have extreme metal, which includes thrash metal, death metal, black metal, grindcore, etc. Then, we have alternative metal, which would include industrial metal, sludge metal, stoner metal, modern heavy metal, etc. Does anybody look at it the same way?
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Interesting thought. I have not really thought about it in that light, I look at the genre's and personally count Traditional/Power, Prog, thrash/speed, Doom/Stoner, and Death/Black. While the combined genre's are not the same they are close enough to be categorized together. IMHO.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 5:00 pm

Genesis has an album called Three Sides Live.

Not sure metal has three sides. Smile

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 5:13 pm

Extreme has III sides too I think...

Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Maybe....but what this really makes me think of is how I think a lot of the fans have messed things up, involving this....

Basically, it's to where you have the fan who likes 'extreme' stuff and nothing else, the fan who likes 'doom/stoner' stuff (and the occasional post rock), and nothing else, the fan who likes certified 'classic' stuff and nothing else, and the fan who likes 'progpower' but won't really go near something that extends to being actually progressive. For whatever reason, each of these fans have a really slim emotional margin and tend to hate 100% of anything that doesn't fall into the specified preferences. You have a keyboard in the classic metal band, that fan will go apes***, you growl in a power metal song and the progpower guy is uncomfortable, you have the extreme guy who thinks everything is 'ga-hey'......................................I just see less and less metal fans crossing over anywhere or giving stuff a proper chance, and it's weird. I'm always told that 'back in the day' it was different, where as long as you weren't a glam rocker or a skinhead, every metal out was good. That sounds pretty rad.

Sorry, it's a little bit detached, but this is what I thought of when you mentioned fanbases...moreso than the music itself.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 5:36 pm

vgmaster9 wrote:
I tend to notice something there. There are tons of metal genres, but I think there tend to be three major fanbases in the genre. First we have melodic metal, which consist of traditional heavy metal, power metal, progressive metal, doom metal, symphonic metal, gothic metal, ect. We also have extreme metal, which includes thrash metal, death metal, black metal, grindcore, etc. Then, we have alternative metal, which would include industrial metal, sludge metal, stoner metal, modern heavy metal, etc. Does anybody look at it the same way?
That's very similar to how I look at it.

Most of what I like falls into your first category but I like some in the alt metal category too. I like precious little in your extreme metal category.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 7:20 pm

That's not a bad way to break it down.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 7:23 pm

I don't worry about genres and sub genres.

When i hear a new band I don't go "Oh cool, a blackened gothic progressive grindcore polka thrash band with a touch of dill for flavor."

I either say "Wow, that's good" or "Wow, that sucks."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 7:27 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

When i hear a new band I don't go "Oh cool, a blackened gothic progressive grindcore polka thrash band with a touch of dill for flavor."

Me too; but that's if I actually hear the band.

If I'm trying to scope out a new band and I can't hear any samples, then I'm left with what reviewers think. And if a reviewer says something like "this is a great grindcore band" I know it falls into vgMaster's 2nd category and I don't need to research any further.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 10:22 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Me too; but that's if I actually hear the band.

If I'm trying to scope out a new band and I can't hear any samples, then I'm left with what reviewers think. And if a reviewer says something like "this is a great grindcore band" I know it falls into vgMaster's 2nd category and I don't need to research any further.

i am mostly the same way. I dont care for genre labels but unless the covers look like something MC666 posts, I find them initially a little helpful.

vgmaster9
Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Still, people use genres to identify bands.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 7:15 am

If the cover has artwork by Ed Repka or Dan Seagrave, ... that's a promising start in my book. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 8:53 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
That's not a bad way to break it down.

I agree...cool synopsis.

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 1:58 pm

I definitely don't fit into any of these "fan-bases". I like bands from each of the "categories" you devised, plus many that really don't fit any of them. It's an interesting idea to be sure, but probably kind of limiting overall since many of the sub-genres you listed have bands within them with very divergent sounds.

I don't feel the need to categorize and pigeonhole music, I just listen to what I like and try not to catch the "over-analyze disease" that the internet seems to have spawned.

Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 2:49 pm

My side is everything between hard rock and black metal with traditional influences, without modern or alternative touches/sounds. Also the looks of the bands needs to be cool because to see a concert with guys that looks like 99% of the people on the streets, no please.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 2:51 pm

S.D. wrote:
I definitely don't fit into any of these "fan-bases". I like bands from each of the "categories" you devised, plus many that really don't fit any of them. It's an interesting idea to be sure, but probably kind of limiting overall since many of the sub-genres you listed have bands within them with very divergent sounds.

I don't feel the need to categorize and pigeonhole music, I just listen to what I like and try not to catch the "over-analyze disease" that the internet seems to have spawned.

Does metal have three sides? YOU_866348_1394997

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 3:02 am

I tend to gravitate predominately towards certain genres such as death or thrash, but I don't attempt to consciously categorise the sound. I just go for whatever bands appeal to me.
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
HeavyMetal
Metal novice
Metal novice
HeavyMetal

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 2:23 am

I may be one of the few who actually like bureaucratizing music. I think with such a massive umbrella term of metal, people can become quite disillusioned as to what it exactly represents. This is why these terms were invented; I don't see them so much as a label, but as a qualifier.

A band who is stated to be a Thrash Metal band, may not have to release everything Thrash, but we know they are not a Nu-Metal band. Likewise, a Power Metal band may release an aggressive, violent, brutal song, but they aren't a Death Metal band. I view it as what a band is NOT rather than what they are (if that makes any sense).

To the OP, I think those 3 sides are perfect.

It may be simple to say "I just listen to MUSIC and don't worry about categories," but I find that difficult. I want to know what I'll hear on a record, and what I won't hear. If I'm in the mood for something epic, catchy and clean, I'd rather a band not put on their album a song with guttural vocals and blast beats. I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to, or that I don't enjoy some of it, but I go to certain bands for a certain aesthetic and sound, and to mix it up screws that experience up a bit.

The genre labels can be a bit ridiculous, but sometimes a band is so specific that they don't qualify as anything and need a ridiculous title.

I've even researched bands because of the label they were given. Like Folk Metal, or Melodic Black Metal.

It works both ways I presume.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Quote :
Still, people use genres to identify bands.

This is true..however sometimes genres are mis-identified...especially genres within genres..Example: I am really into glam metal (roxx gang, L A Guns, Crashdiet)...Some call Guns N Roses Glam/hair metal..but I see them as sleaze metal which is similar but not glam. Some call whitesnake a hair metal band...I see them more as melodic metal. Some call Accept a thrash band but I see them more as traditional metal...etc.. Record stores and music download sites are real bad about mis-labeling bands. I have even seen Iron Maiden labeled a hair band because they wore spandex back in the 80s. Some call motorhead and Judas Priest NWOBHM bands. It gets exhausting. To me its easier to just mention a few bands you like and people generally get the idea of what you are into.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 2:46 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
To me its easier to just mention a few bands you like and people generally get the idea of what you are into.

Exactly. I never describe bands in "genres", if someone asks what I think a band sounds like I always list either who influenced them or other bands that are similar. I believe that's far more descriptive than combining a bunch of semi-meaningless descriptors together like "traditional folk thrash grind polka".

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 8:47 pm

S.D. wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:
To me its easier to just mention a few bands you like and people generally get the idea of what you are into.

Exactly. I never describe bands in "genres", if someone asks what I think a band sounds like I always list either who influenced them or other bands that are similar. I believe that's far more descriptive than combining a bunch of semi-meaningless descriptors together like "traditional folk thrash grind polka".

same here. I discover more bands by who people compare them to than labels.

arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 9:31 pm

I tend to think of myself as a bigger fan of bands and not necessarily genres or scenes these days. I got kind of burned out on the whole "scene" mentality years ago. I guess I do tend to lean towards the more melodic or "traditional" metal styles, but there are bands in all three of the categories in the original post that I'm a fan of. It just depends on what I'm into at the moment. I really couldn't imagine listening to nothing but traditional metal or extreme metal for the rest of my life or anything. As long as it comes from the heart and it inspires me in some way, I can get behind it.

But there are probably a lot of people who could be summed up with the categories thing. You could probably apply it to other genres as well. Some people just have very specific tastes, or they just never really venture outside of their comfort zones, I guess.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Thats a really good way to put it.
I know a TON of people who limit themselves by these, one way or another.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 4:42 pm

I have albums from every metal genre and sub-genre:

Metalcore
Hardcore
Thrash
Death
Melodic Death
Progressive Death
Power
Euro-Power
Doom
Death/Doom
Black
Symphonic
Traditional
NWOBHM
Nu-Metal
Grindcore
Gothic
Alternative
Retro
Progressive
Folk
Classic
Industrial
Melodic Hard Rock/AOR
Pop
Hair
Glam
Sleeze
Southern
Neo-Classical
Speed
Stoner
Avante-gard

And everything betwwen.

Last edited by DallasBlack on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
blackened gothic progressive grindcore polka thrash band with a touch of dill for flavor."
VERY underrated genre, BTW.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does metal have three sides?   Does metal have three sides? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does metal have three sides?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next