Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If Today Were December 31, 2012...

Go down 
+25
MEGATRON
jettafiend
Temple of Blood
mc666
Gilbert
chewie
jstate
Joe
exact33
Hamer12
Grimmo
Witchfinder
Gryphon-kl
rawr!
Ben Grimm
DallasBlack
nevermore
kmorg
Dark Horseman
BearOnUnicycle
thejokeriv
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

If Today Were December 31, 2012... Empty
PostSubject: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 2:13 am

If today were December 31, 2012, this would be my Top 10 Albums of 2012 list:

Arjen Anthony Lucassen - Lost In The New Real
Flying Colors - Flying Colors
God Forbid - Equilibrium
Moonspell - Alpha Noir/Omega White
OSI - Fire Make Thunder
Pennywise - All Or Nothing
Prong - Carved Into Stone
Suspyre - Suspyre
Therapy? - A Brief Crack Of Light
Xandria - Neverworld's End

What about you? Wondering if I've missed any albums worth checking out. =)
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 9:45 am

The odds of me having something that you haven't heard are about a million to one, but I'll play your game.

My 2012 purchases have been slow, but 2 that have really stuck with me are:

Christian Mistress - Possession
Astra - The Black Chord

2 very different bands, but I enjoy them both immensely. Honorable mention to Orange Goblin's latest, Eulogy For the Damned. It didn't do much for me on the first coupla spins, but it's grown on me with repeated listens.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 9:48 am

Accept - STALINGRAD
Overkill - ELECTRIC AGE
Scorpions - COMEBLACK

I think that's all I've got for 2012 releases thus far, but hey, that new Joey Ramone CD comes out tomorrow.

(and before anybody gets nitpicky and tells me that Scorpions disc came out in 2011 - it got a European release in late '11, and U.S. release in January of '12.)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 10:28 am

Accept - Stalingrad
Overkill - Electric Age
3 Inches of Blood - Long Live Heavy Metal
Metallica - Beyond Magnetic EP

Looking forward to the new Molly Hatchet and Havok.

Also, I've been listening non-stop to Sepultura's Kairos. It was a 2011 release which I only recently received.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 10:31 am

Quote :

Whoops, forgot about this one. I have this too.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 10:38 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Meh, I have that one as well, but I don't see it making my Top 10 by the end of the year. It's ok, I guess, but nothing great.

And I'll probably get crucified on this one, but I'm not sure that Accept's Stalingrad is going to make the cut either. Now that the shine is off the apple, I haven't been all that inclined to revisit that album. Could just be me and some other music I've been obsessed with recently. I'm sure I'll go back to it at some point, but it's been shelved for now.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 11:15 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Meh, I have that one as well, but I don't see it making my Top 10 by the end of the year. It's ok, I guess, but nothing great.

And I'll probably get crucified on this one, but I'm not sure that Accept's Stalingrad is going to make the cut either. Now that the shine is off the apple, I haven't been all that inclined to revisit that album. Could just be me and some other music I've been obsessed with recently. I'm sure I'll go back to it at some point, but it's been shelved for now.

To get things moving, I am going to chop down the tree now

Laughing very hard

Nah, that's why we all have opinions.

In addition to Accept, Overkill, Scorps and completely agree with Ult on 3 Inches Of Blood, I would add Storm Corrosion, Iron Maiden (yes, it's a live release but its great), A Sound Of Thunder. I am sure the list willgrow and possible look different by the end of the year. I really need to get the new Astral Doors and Therapy?

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks for that. Laughing , but just to clairify, I don't dislike the album. It just didn't grab me by the short n' curlies the way Blood of the Nations did. I played that one over and over. Not so with Stalingrad. I liked it, played it a few times, then said "ok, that's enough of that for now." Perhaps when I revisit it, something will click.

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 11:31 am

So far...

Storm Corrosion - s/t
Rush - Clockwork Angels
Ian Anderson - TAAB2
Beardfish - The Void
Anathema - Weather Systems
Steven Wilson - Catalogue/Preserve/Amass
High On Fire - De Vermi Mysteriis
Orange Goblin - A Eulogy For The Damned
Asia - XXX
Alcest - Les Voyages De L'Ame

Last edited by S.D. on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:23 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
The odds of me having something that you haven't heard are about a million to one, but I'll play your game.

Astra - The Black Chord

2 very different bands, but I enjoy them both immensely. Honorable mention to Orange Goblin's latest, Eulogy For the Damned. It didn't do much for me on the first coupla spins, but it's grown on me with repeated listens.
Well, I've heard neither. Laughing
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:31 pm

Accept, Sabaton, Knight Fury (it may be '11 though), Axel Rudi Pell. Oh, high hopes for Malison Rogue and Enforcer.
Astral Doors was meh imo.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:33 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Astra - The Black Chord

Well, I've heard neither. Laughing

Really? I thought you were the one that suggested Christian Mistress in the "Female-Fronted Rock Band" thread. Guess not. Regardless, you should check them out. Kind of a NWOBHM-vibe to them.

As far as Astra goes, if you like The Weirding, you should like The Black Chord. It follows the same path, more-or-less.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:42 pm

Accept

Overkill

Teramaze
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Yeah, I definitely intend to check out Astra, but I don't think I even listened to the sample of Christian Mistress in that thread. =(
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 2:13 pm

Unisonic

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Yeah, I definitely intend to check out Astra, but I don't think I even listened to the sample of Christian Mistress in that thread. =(

Ok, so apparently is was ME that posted the Christian Mistress clips. Guess I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. Anyway, check them out...

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t17610p100-female-fronted-rock-metal

Those clips are from the new album Possession. They have another one out before that one called Agony & Opium equally as good. I highly recommend both of them.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 5:43 pm

Pallbearer - Sorrow And Extinction
Accept - Stalingrad
High On Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis
Black Breath - Sentenced To Life
Cannibal Corpse - Torture
Orange Goblin - A Eulogy For The Damned
Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol
Demon Hunter - True Defiance
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 5:52 pm

nevermore wrote:

I didn't realize that was a 2012 release, it definitely makes my list then, love that album!

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 7:30 pm

I'll wait til I get some more 2012 releases under my belt.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 7:50 pm

Stand outs so far this year
Demon Hunter - True Defiance
Meshuggah - Koloss
DragonForce - Power Within
7 Horns & Eyes - Throes Of Absolution
Shadow's Fall - Fire From The Sky
Red Lamb - S/T

Honorable mention:
Impending Doom - Baptized In Filth
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 9:34 pm

ive heard fewer than 20 2012 releases so far, i really need to do some research. i need more black metal.

spawn of possession - incurso
nekromantheon - rise, vulcan spectre
napalm death - utilitarian
desecravity - implicit obedience
obolus - lament
acephalix - deathless master
dodecahedron - dodecahedron

and finishing up with non-metal:

venetian snares - fool the detector
the mars volta - noctourniquet
caul - green is the night and out of madness woven
Back to top Go down
Gryphon-kl
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1346

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 11:05 pm

So far, all I've heard from this year is:

Accept: Stalingrad
Angel Witch: As Above, So Below
Metallica: Beyond Magnetic
Shadows Fall: Fire from the Sky

I don't see Metallica or Shadows Fall making my actual year-end list if I get enough other new releases.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 11:43 pm

Accept - Stalingrad
Overkill - The Electric Age
3IOB - Long Live Heavy Metal
Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth
Ram - Death

And the worst thing I bought so far this year:

Metallica - Beyond Magnetic - The lyrics alone are some of the worst I've ever heard and Lars's drumming is beyond pathetic. How people like this crap I'll never know.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 11:47 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

Metallica - Beyond Magnetic - The lyrics alone are some of the worst I've ever heard and Lars's drumming is beyond pathetic. How people like this crap I'll never know.

Beyond Pathetic would have been a good title for that EP. lol!

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 11:52 pm

S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Beyond Pathetic would have been a good title for that EP. lol!

Zing! Great minds think alike: http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/2012/02/far-beyond-pathetic.html
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If Today Were December 31, 2012...   If Today Were December 31, 2012... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If Today Were December 31, 2012...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next