Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)

Go down 
+13
Dark Horseman
krokus
ZombieHavoc
ShadowAngel
jstate
Infinite
tohostudios
thejokeriv
James B.
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
stormspell
Metal Misfit
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Empty
PostSubject: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 3:59 pm

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/news/01281.shtml

Quote :
While on a tour of Europe this month, L.A. Guns has been incorporating some tracks in the set list from the new record 'Hollywood Forever', out on June 5th through Deadline/Cleopatra Records. The cover art and final track list have now been revealed, and a sneak peek at the song "You Better Not Love Me" is now available at http://soundcloud.com/brosseaupr/l-a-guns-you-better-not-love/s-pyBkz.

Former L.A. Guns member Kelly Nickels makes a special appearance, playing bass on "Venus Bomb" and providing backing vocals on other tracks. Another highlight of 'Hollywood Forever' is "Arana Negra," which is sung entirely in Spanish.

'Hollywood Forever' is the fourth L.A. Guns record produced by Andy Johns (Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Van Halen). The L.A. Guns spring European tour continues in Spain the first week of May, then brings the band back to the U.S. for summer club dates and festivals including M3

'Hollywood Forever' Track List:
Hollywood Forever
You Better Not Love Me
Eel Pie
Sweet Mystery
Burn
Vine St. Shimmy
Dirty Black Night
Underneath The Sun
Queenie
Crazy Tango
Venus Bomb
I Won't Play
Requiem (Hollywood Forever)
Arana Negra (originally recorded by The Bicicletas)

I like that song they link to! headbanger
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Balki Bartokomus called, he wants the "Eel Pie" name back
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 5:10 pm

stormspell wrote:
Balki Bartokomus called, he wants the "Eel Pie" name back

Nice. Laughing

Song's not bad. Sounds like LA Guns to me. I haven't heard anything from these guys since Waking the Dead.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 4:25 am

New video.

Really diggin' that tune.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 8:20 am

As much a I dig Traci's playin', tis version of the band seems to have finaly gelled. At least that tune has something going on. IMHO

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 8:44 am

James B. wrote:
As much a I dig Traci's playin', tis version of the band seems to have finaly gelled. At least that tune has something going on. IMHO

I'm not a big LA Guns fan (don't even own any of their albums), but I will say the Phil Lewis version sounded great when they played the M3 festival. The sounded much better than the version of Great White that played!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 9:00 am

Sleazeroxx likes this album pretty well:

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/bands/laguns/hollywoodforever.shtml

Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 10:52 am

The single's cool. Typical LA Guns, which ain't a bad thing.

As for the video, that's a well-worn 80s concept that doesn't work quite as well when you're 50 years old. Kinda creepy.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:46 pm

I must be feeling nostalgic because I really want to get this album. That new tune is really catchy.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 9:49 am

LA Guns have released another video. This one is aimed at the Spanish-speaking market. Hell if I know what they're singing about, but it's another catchy tune. It's a cover tune apparently.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 3:45 pm

This is my favorite release of the year so far. Gonna take one insanely great record to knock it off that perch.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Infinite wrote:
As for the video, that's a well-worn 80s concept that doesn't work quite as well when you're 50 years old. Kinda creepy.

I wouldn't call it creepy, just guys and typical guy fantasies (the same as mid-aged women rather dream of young hot boys instead of men their own age). As long as everyown involved is over legal age, there's nothing 'creepy' about it.
I think the video is ok, fits the whole Sleaze Rock and Glam scene.

Great album, i really like it so far with Dirty Black Night and Crazy Tango being my favourite songs Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 11:02 am

This new album is fantastic. I've been spinning it over and over again. They've really done a nice job of capturing their old sound without sounding cheesy or forced. The songs are really catchy. They get stuck in your head after one listen.

If you're a fan of LA Guns, I'd highly recommend this album. I can see this being in my Top 5 for 2012.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 11:19 am

Still stands what I said back in July. A ton of great records this year - but this is still my favorite.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 4:52 pm

Maybe I should get around to checking this out.

I love the s/t. And then Cocked and Loaded is pretty good. Hollywood Vampires is where it started to fall apart, and didn't compare well the rest of the early 90s glam output.

I haven't checked in on LA Guns since HV. Maybe now's the time to do it. Nothing but good reviews on this record.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 4:59 pm

I really haven't been disapponted in any of the Phil Lewis-fronted releases from the band. They've all been pretty good albums to my ears.

Vicious Circle, Waking the Dead, Man on the Moon are all good albums. I haven't heard any of the albums where Phil jumped ship, but I understand they're pretty lame to downright horrible.

I still need to add Tales from the Strip to my collection though.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 8:33 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I really haven't been disapponted in any of the Phil Lewis-fronted releases from the band. They've all been pretty good albums to my ears.

Vicious Circle, Waking the Dead, Man on the Moon are all good albums. I haven't heard any of the albums where Phil jumped ship, but I understand they're pretty lame to downright horrible.

You are probably already aware of these, but if not, you should get the two releases from Phil's pre-Guns band called Girl. "Sheer Greed" and "Wasted Youth". Both are excellent, but damned hard to come by.

I was lucky and found them both for $4 each in a used bin. I was foolish and sold them both when I was selling off my CD collection.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 9:32 am

I've heard a lone track from Girl. I forget the name at the moment. It's on some comp I have (or had). Not bad, a little poppier than I care for, if I remember correctly. Phil Collen from Def Leppard was in that band too, wasn't he?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 9:37 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I've heard a lone track from Girl. I forget the name at the moment. It's on some comp I have (or had). Not bad, a little poppier than I care for, if I remember correctly. Phil Collen from Def Leppard was in that band too, wasn't he?

Yes he was.

And if I had to guess the track, I would assume "Heartbreak America", because that seemed to be their most prominent track, but who knows.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 10:12 am

Those Girl discs go for some insane prices.

Quote :
I still need to add Tales from the Strip to my collection though

I feel that's the most under-rated album in their whole discography. Great from start to finish. One of my favorites and most played.

I'd also recommend Lewis' solo album More Purple Than Black. It's not L.A. Guns at all but once you get where it's going it is a pretty damn good record. It also is quite pricey. Found my copy in a discount bin years back. Glad I got it when I had the chance.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 2:33 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I think VICIOS CIRCLE and MAN ON THE MOON were horrible albums imo, specialy VICIOUS CIRCLE but TALES FROM THE STRIP, WAKING THE DEAD or this new one, that i bought not long ago are great albums. Sleazy metal. Very cool.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 10:06 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Yes he was.

And if I had to guess the track, I would assume "Heartbreak America", because that seemed to be their most prominent track, but who knows.

I 'member their version of KISS' "do you love me ?" most of all

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 10:30 am

krokus wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I think VICIOS CIRCLE and MAN ON THE MOON were horrible albums imo, specialy VICIOUS CIRCLE but TALES FROM THE STRIP, WAKING THE DEAD or this new one, that i bought not long ago are great albums. Sleazy metal. Very cool.

Really? I love Vicious Circle. It has some great tracks on there. They went slightly more aggressive to fit the times ('94?), but still sounded like classic Guns to me. Man on the Moon might not be a classic, but it's far from horrible in my opinion.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 4:26 pm

I listened to a few tracks from Hollywood Forever today on YouTube and promptly ordered the CD.

Man, I seriously had no intention of checking this out until seeing all the positive reviews. Of all the sleaze/glam bands putting out albums now, this was one of the ones I had the least interest in.

Fool move, ZombieHavoc.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 am

Ok, I've now listed to HF a few times, and it is so damned good. Makes me wonder what other recent sleaze/glam releases I passed over but are actually good.

And also, I listened to a few tracks from Tales From the Strip on YouTube. That will be among my next purchases, most likely. I should not have discounted LA Guns for so long, it seems.

Also, anyone into the album they did with Jizzy Pearl. I always liked Love/Hate, but never really thought to check out his album with them. In 1999, I could've cared less about LAG.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)   L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

L.A. Guns (Phil Lewis version) - Hollywood Forever (2012)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next