Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums

Go down 
+5
nevermore
Witchfinder
ZombieHavoc
MetalGuy71
brokentulsa
9 posters
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Empty
PostSubject: PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums   PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 4:12 pm

Anyone dig Phil's NON LA Guns albums?  

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums   PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 4:28 pm

The only one I've heard was More Purple Than Black and I think it's pretty boring. Time for a trip down memory lane...

I purchased that album as a new release, probably at Tower Records, back in 1999. I was/am a big LA Guns fans, so this seemed like a no-brainer. Problem was, the album is pretty far-removed from anything sleazy or rocking. It's a lot of acoustic ballads type stuff. Ok, so that's what solo albums are for, right? Mix it up, try something different. Well, it collected dust for quite some time.

I would eventually trade it in at a local shop for some magic beans or something. It sat in that used shop for years. I'd see it practically everytime I went in there. I checked on-line and it was going for a pretty penny. I guess cause only 10 copies were ever pressed. So a few months ago, I finally broke down and re-bought the album. I thought maybe I just expected too much from it initally. I'm older, wiser now. My music tastes have broadend since then. Maybe it's gotten better with age.

Nope. Still boring.

I used to have a NWOBHM comp tape that had a track from GIRL on it. I vaguely remember it being kinda cool. Other than that, I haven't heard anything from Phillip that isn't LA Guns.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums   PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 4:49 pm

I like the two Girl albums quite a bit.

Never listened to his solo stuff. And didn't know he did anything with Heavy Metal Kids.

I recently discovered that Torme album and it's pretty good too.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums   PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 4:49 pm

I have the Girl albums and they are okay.  I haven't listened to them in years so I should probably revisit them.  I don't have the other albums though.  I like Lillian Axe's version of "My Number" better than Girl's:

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums   PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm

The only Phil Lewis Non LA guns stuff I've heard is Girl. Which isn't bad.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums   PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 8:58 am

I love Girl's Wasted Youth. Spent some decent money to get it and it was worth every penny. I like More Purple Than Black. I found that one in a discount bin so it too was worth every penny. It's way too long for it's own good I'll admit.

This thread reminds me I have to get that Torme album.

Lewis seems like such an interesting guy. He doesn't come off like you'd think someone like him would when you think of those first two LA Guns records. I also always forget he's English.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums   PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 9:50 am

jstate wrote:
I like More Purple Than Black. I found that one in a discount bin so it too was worth every penny. It's way too long for it's own good I'll admit.

That's a very valid point too. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if it were trimmed down a bit. It came out right at the time when everyone realized that they could record for the cd format, whether they had 78 minutes worth of material or not.  Smile 

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums   PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2014 10:00 am

Quote :
Lewis seems like such an interesting guy. He doesn't come off like you'd think someone like him would when you think of those first two LA Guns records. I also always forget he's English.

I have a friend who's a reporter and he's interviewed Phil several times for our paper when L.A. Guns has come thru town. He sez he's the nicest guy and the easiest interview he's ever had.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums   PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 5:41 pm

Quote :
whether they had 78 minutes worth of material or not.

Plus a lot of the songs are very similar. Could have easily combined some of the stuff and cut it way down. I'm a fan of long albums - but long albums that are varied in their approach.

Quote :
He sez he's the nicest guy and the easiest interview he's ever had.

Seems like he would be. There is still this part of me that wants these guys to be leading wild decadent lives in fueling the music. On their last live dvd Lewis talks about how he gets up early, has a spot of tea, looks out his window and contemplates the world when he writes. Kinda not what I want the LA Guns writing process to be. Cool that you have a well adjusted adult life and all, but can't you at least humor me some. At least the other band members pick up some of the slack by finding the muse in strip clubs and angry exes.

Did that New Torpedoes demo Lewis sang on ever get a release?
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums   PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 3:23 pm

I have a GIRL lp, live cd and a 7" single and like them. I have the TORME álbum on vinyl and like it but i prefere his LA GUNS days, with that band he is still releasing good albums today.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums   PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 3:01 pm

Quote :
he is still releasing good albums today

I was just listening to Hollywood Forever the other day. That is one great record. Easily one of my favorite records of the last decade.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums   PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 2:23 am

I wish I could find the girl albums on cd at a reasonable price.
Back to top Go down
rajah
Metal student
Metal student
rajah

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums   PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 3:31 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
I wish I could find the girl albums on cd at a reasonable price.
 Go to Amazon, they have Killing Time for $16.99, and Wasted Youth for $15.99, both are very good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums   PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PHIL LEWIS NON LA Guns Albums
Page 1 of 1