Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution

Go down 
+20
stpatrik
MoonChild
Dave the Boss
James B.
Metal Misfit
DevZor
exact33
Mglaffas81
Fat Freddy
GrandNational
JBall_Z
Troublezone
thejokeriv
mc666
Witchfinder
adrian
sheets
manny
ultmetal
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 9:25 am

ultmetal wrote:
I don't dislike Lochness, but a whole album of Lochness didn't really trip my trigger.

I like that track, even though is it extremely Spinal-Tapish!
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 9:31 am

Apart from the horrible Lochness and the so-so ballads it's a damn good album.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 9:56 am

I love Angel Of Retribution. Fantastic songs on there,including Loch Ness !
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 10:31 am

adrian wrote:
I love Angel of Retribution, definitely up with my favorites

Of course yes. Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 604261
Back to top Go down
stpatrik
Metal student
Metal student
stpatrik

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 4:24 pm

A shallow attempt at sounding classic. But Priest have been washed up for years.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Judas Rising came up on my shuffle the other day and I remember thinking what a great tune! I need to pull this out and listen start to finish again. Revolution, Deal with the Devil and Hellrider are also great tunes. I also think Angel has a beautiful melody and ranks with Dreamer Deceiver as one of their best ballads.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 11:41 pm

Quote :
I dug it as a new release but honestly felt that Halford's RESURRECTION and CRUCIBLE were better discs.

I agree!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 8:06 am

stpatrik wrote:
A shallow attempt at sounding classic. But Priest have been washed up for years.

Priest didn't look anywhere near washed up when I saw them live late last year! In fact, they sounded better than they have on the two previous tours!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 8:15 am

thejokeriv wrote:
stpatrik wrote:

Priest didn't look anywhere near washed up when I saw them live late last year! In fact, they sounded better than they have on the two previous tours!

I think so too. I dont think they are washed up at all.
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 8:49 am

exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
stpatrik wrote:

I think so too. I dont think they are washed up at all.

There you have it, the King has spoken!!!!!!!!!

How about a Painkiller King?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 11:07 am

stpatrik wrote:

Really? Which 'classic' era do you suppose they were trying to sound like, or do you think they were just trying to sound like Judas Priest?

It's weird that metal fans who don't like this album can't even agree on what they don't like about it. Some say the songwriting isn't good. One review I read said it was an attempt to modernize the Priest sound. Another review claimed it sounded more like Halford's solo stuff than Priest. Now I've read "a shallow attempt at sounding classic". I just think that in the case of some of these band's who've been around for decades, they just can't and won't please all their fans.

QuothTheRaven wrote:
I also think Angel has a beautiful melody and ranks with Dreamer Deceiver as one of their best ballads.

So do I. I like Angel quite a bit.

headbanger

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 11:27 am

ultmetal wrote:
stpatrik wrote:

Really? Which 'classic' era do you suppose they were trying to sound like, or do you think they were just trying to sound like Judas Priest?

It's weird that metal fans who don't like this album can't even agree on what they don't like about it. Some say the songwriting isn't good. One review I read said it was an attempt to modernize the Priest sound. Another review claimed it sounded more like Halford's solo stuff than Priest. Now I've read "a shallow attempt at sounding classic". I just think that in the case of some of these band's who've been around for decades, they just can't and won't please all their fans.

QuothTheRaven wrote:
I also think Angel has a beautiful melody and ranks with Dreamer Deceiver as one of their best ballads.

So do I. I like Angel quite a bit.

headbanger

I thought this sounded like Priest. I am not sure how it's "shallow." It's certainly not modern in any way.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 11:30 am

ultmetal wrote:

It's weird that metal fans who don't like this album can't even agree on what they don't like about it.
why would they all need to be in agreement on a single reason not to like it? people like or dislike things for a multitude of reasons. wouldn't it depend on the person?

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 11:54 am

I liked this album when it first came out and I enjoyed it just as much when I spun it 2 or 3 weeks ago. I didn't mind 'Lochness'. It's not bad, but like someone else mentioned, a whole album, or 2 as it were, of that style was too much.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 12:30 pm

mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

It's weird that metal fans who don't like this album can't even agree on what they don't like about it.
why would they all need to be in agreement on a single reason not to like it? people like or dislike things for a multitude of reasons. wouldn't it depend on the person?

There can be multiple reasons, but the reasoning seems to clash in this case. It's too modern or it's a shallow attempt to sound classic? Nothing wrong with differing opinions, I just find it weird that the negative comments don't seem to jive at all, wheras on other Priest albums like "Demolition" or "Turbo" people who dislike them seem to have similar reasons for their dislike.

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 12:51 pm

I think people get too hung up on comparing "now" with the "good ole days", this seems to affect fans of metal, classic rock, blues and jazz in equal numbers...all niche music genres with a rich and varied past.

A band like Priest doesn't need to prove anything to anyone, their legacy is secure, all their albums are in print, they are respected, they could retire if they wanted to.

Just be happy these older bands are still willing to write and record new music. A band like Priest isn't going to sound exactly like they did in 1980, if that's what your waiting for then your expectations are unrealistic. If you like the new material just enjoy it, if you don't like it then just go listen to British Steel.

But endless comparisons and people clamoring for a sudden return to a sound 25 to 30 years in the past is ridiculous.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Quote :
Just be happy these older bands are still willing to write and record new music. A band like Priest isn't going to sound exactly like they did in 1980, if that's what your waiting for then your expectations are unrealistic. If you like the new material just enjoy it, if you don't like it then just go listen to British Steel.

Agreed.

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution   Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2