Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best/Worst blind buys?

Go down 
+36
ultmetal
Shawn Of Fire
Grimmo
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
NYCAnt
Speedmetalfreak
brokentulsa
tohostudios
exact33
Ben Grimm
ShadowAngel
EmoElmo
GrandNational
Morrison
Required Fields
DallasBlack
Nico
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
The_Jayroh
static
CRIMSONMASK
JBall_Z
jstate
Dave the Boss
kmorg
BearOnUnicycle
Lari
Gryphon-kl
James B.
Witchfinder
adrian
Andy
Hadley
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 am

Grimmo wrote:
Best: Suffocation's Effigy of the Forgotten - At the time of purchase, I heard they were death metal. It's a classic. headbanger

You didn't even need to hear that they were death metal, the album cover was a dead give away. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 12:58 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

Hollow's Modern Cathedral - basically I read a few reviews which praised this album and band as some sort of saviors for the power metal genre. I fail to see what is so good about this band and album. To me it sounds like a subpar version of just about everything that is good in power metal. Luckily this didn't cost me much.
Wow, I think that's an amazing record. Surprised to find someone who doesn't like it.

They aren't really power metal, most of it is mid-tempo, but the songs are just perfection. Trademark and Lies are brilliant tracks. Great sound, great vocals. 10/10 album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 11:34 am

Best would be Maiden Japan. It was in the import bin and I thought the cover was cool. My first introduction to Iron Maiden and never looked back.

Worst: White Tiger. Recognized the guitarist and decided to give it a try. Never got past the first side.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 11:40 am

Witchfinder wrote:
ShadowAngel wrote:

Hellfueled - Volume One
Has two good tracks (Let me Out and Midnight Lady) otherwise they try too hard to be like Ozzy Osbourne and his Band, the songs aren't good and the loud, noisy production is awful.

I love that album. Crying or Very sad

I like that one too. Too bad their follow-up, Born II Rock, blows chunks.Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 78889

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 11:44 am

Quote :
At my usual CD haunt, I found a hard to find early 90s pop metal album, Wildside-Under The Influence that was almost $20. Not wanting to spend that much on a CD at the time, I got the follow-up self-titled album thinking it would be the same style if not a little different. Unfortunatly, that album was second rate grunge music. Obviously, Wildside was one of those bands that tried to change with the times. It's not too bad an album but from what I knew of that band it was a far cry from what I was expecting.

I bought that s/t album at a pawn shop based off the rep that Under The Influence has. Since it was .50 it wasn't anywhere near a bad blind buy - but yeah, not what I was expecting from a Wildside record.

I consider that Hollow - Modern Cathedral record a good blind buy. Think I got it off one of those buy three get a fourth free sale. Always meant to pick up their other record.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Bought this today, not knowing what they sounded like exactly...only that it was on Brainticket (a Doom/Stoner label):

Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 51dk1jwoTIL._SL500_AA280_

This thing is badass!! Like a blend of Solitude Aeturnus & really heavy Soundgarden...

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:51 pm

I remember one blind buy that I didn't care for at all, 8 Ball Cholos. I think the album was Satan's Whores or something like that. It featured Tracy G, who was in Dio at the time.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:52 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I remember one blind buy that I didn't care for at all, 8 Ball Cholos. I think the album was Satan's Whores or something like that. It featured Tracy G, who was in Dio at the time.
Man, with a title like that how could it NOT be awesome?? Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Infinite
Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 11:30 pm

Worst was definitely Fastway- On Target. This was back when it was a new release. I had heard nothing about the album, saw it in the racks and thought, "Fastway kicks ass, this should be good!". Little did I know the band and sound had been completely overhauled. New singer, new shitty synth-pop rock sound. It still makes me nauseous to think about it.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 8:08 am

Infinite wrote:
Worst was definitely Fastway- On Target. This was back when it was a new release. I had heard nothing about the album, saw it in the racks and thought, "Fastway kicks ass, this should be good!". Little did I know the band and sound had been completely overhauled. New singer, new shitty synth-pop rock sound. It still makes me nauseous to think about it.

yeah - they did have quite a change in sound.
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 10:08 am

DallasBlack wrote:
I think this would be my worst blind buy:

At my usual CD haunt, I found a hard to find early 90s pop metal album, Wildside-Under The Influence that was almost $20. Not wanting to spend that much on a CD at the time, I got the follow-up self-titled album thinking it would be the same style if not a little different. Unfortunatly, that album was second rate grunge music. Obviously, Wildside was one of those bands that tried to change with the times. It's not too bad an album but from what I knew of that band it was a far cry from what I was expecting.

Ha! Same experience here but I wouldn't classify it as a blind buy per se since you are already familiar with that band

I loved Under the Influence to Death and you have perfectly described what I felt too Very Happy

I have numerously fell into that trap, bought those pathetic 'grunge' albums from Dokken,Steelheart,Danger Danger and amongst others.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 10:16 am

T-Roy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Man, with a title like that how could it NOT be awesome?? Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 201269

It was a Christian project. Shocked

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 10:35 am

EmoElmo wrote:
I wouldn't classify it as a blind buy per se since you are already familiar with that band

Actually, I never hear of that band before and only knew what music they were by the band photo on the back of Under The Influence. So it was a blind buy.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 3:58 pm

ultmetal wrote:

I made the same mistake in regards to this one. I probably only played this cd 2 or 3 times. If I remember rightly, there was even some hyped up advertising in zines etc. Didn't one of the members - Burrito(?) start up a label? which then signed up the likes of Crimson Thorn etc? and then the bands either weren't really supported and/or the label changed direction?

My recollection is rather foggy on this one, as it was probably about 1997 or something ... seems like a long time ago. Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 251456 Maybe I tried to erase this from my memory. Very Happy

Scary thing is, .... I think I still have that CD somewhere, ... terrible artwork.
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 5:41 pm

my friend and i always reference the "mountains of dead babies" song.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Infinite wrote:

Yeah, me too ! I loved Fastway and saw the cassette at the store. At that time, the radio was playing Tora Tora's "Walkin" Shoes" (a song I love) and I thought it was Fastway. The way the cassette was slid into those plastic anti-theft frames,I couldn't read any of the song titles. Bought it,took it home and was immediately disappointed. What a crappy album !
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 3:25 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Grimmo wrote:
Best: Suffocation's Effigy of the Forgotten - At the time of purchase, I heard they were death metal. It's a classic. headbanger

You didn't even need to hear that they were death metal, the album cover was a dead give away. Very Happy

You're right there. Though if I hypothetically knew nothing about music, I'd probably mistaken this for a death metal album:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cypress_Hill-Black_Sunday.jpg

Laughing very hard

Seriously though, when I was a young lad, I came close to making the odd mistake along these lines. Fortunately, the music store used to let me have a listen before [not] buying.
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best/Worst blind buys?   Best/Worst blind buys? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best/Worst blind buys?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3