Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rush - Clockwork Angels

Go down 
+21
DallasBlack
Dark Horseman
ultmetal
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
mikeinfla
MetalGuy71
exact33
A Handful of Wayne
oldschooldoom
brokentulsa
Psychotron
DevZor
Wurthless
Tur-Thalion
chewie
powermacho
James B.
thejokeriv
manny
Eyesore
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Rush - Clockwork Angels Empty
PostSubject: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:39 pm

I'm a fan of the author Kevin J. Anderson. Not only is he an insanely prolific writer, but he's a fan of great music. With his Terra Incognita series, he worked with Lana Lane and Erik Norlander to create an album that went along with the first book, The Edge of the World. The CD was called Terra Incognita: Beyond The Horizon, under the moniker Roswell Six. Kevin and his wife wrote the lyrics. And it's a fantastic album!

Henning Pauly (you probably know him from the Frameshift albums) wrote the follow-up disc, Terra Incognita: A Line In the Sand, which went along with book 2, The Map of All Things. And again, a great album!

Sadly, while I guess the third album is written, again by Henning Pauly, there is no money to record it. The third book, The Key to Creation, is available, though.

But back to Rush. Kevin just posted this on his Facebook page:

Quote :
After dropping hints for a while, finally the big announcement, a new project unlike any other I’ve ever done…and something that I consider very cool.

Most of you are aware of my long-standing friendship with Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist from the legendary rock band Rush, as well as how much Rush has influenced my work. My first novel Resurrection, Inc. was closely inspired by the Rush album “Grace Under Pressure,” and I can point to dozens of other novels and stories that bear a clear Rush influence.

For more than twenty years, Neil and I have wanted to collaborate on something MAJOR, a way we could tie together our imaginations, and at last that’s happening.

I’m writing the novelization of Rush's forthcoming album Clockwork Angels, their first new CD in five years. Imagine if someone had written the novel of The Wall, Tommy, or Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band when those classic albums were released. For Rush fans, CLOCKWORK ANGELS is that project.

I worked together with Neil to flesh out the epic story told over the course of the music, as well as the artist Hugh Syme whose paintings fill the CD booklet. In a young man’s quest to follow his dreams, he is caught between the grandiose forces of order and chaos. He travels across a lavish and colorful world of steampunk and alchemy, with lost cities, pirates, anarchists, exotic carnivals, and a rigid Watchmaker who imposes precision on every aspect of daily life. To whet your appetite, Rush released the first two tracks, “Caravan” and “BU2B”—listen to those songs to get an idea of the story’s beginning.

I’m writing the chapters now, incorporating the lyrics into the narrative, and having a fantastic time. More details to come, but for now—to quote a line from Caravan: “I can’t stop thinking big.”

Rush - Clockwork Angels Rush_Caravan
The book should be awesome. The album, who knows? They still got that chick singer, right?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Just listened to the two singles from this album, and they were surprisingly good. Heavy, Geddy's voice wasn't all high and warbling. Good stuff.

Odd they released a single in 2010 when the album has always been slated for 2012. Weird.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Originally the album was suppose to come out last year but their 'Moving Pictures' tour was so successful that they just kept on touring.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Ah. Probably wouldn't be a book, then, if it had come out last year.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:25 pm

So, Rush is doing another concept album? Sweet!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:20 pm

Rush put out the singles because they wanted to play those 2 songs Live to see how the crowd reacted to them. Instead of finishing the entire album, they completed those 2 tracks and released them as a digital only single w/b side.

The songs went over very well in concert (by the way, both tracks were WAY heavier live on the new Time Machine concert DVD).

I've been a Rush fan since I was 10 years old, so this will be a first day purchase for me.

Thanks for sharing the info about the book Ken! I'm looking forward to that as well.

(p.s. - Geddy's voice has been in a much lower range since the 90's)

Here are the live version of the two songs from the Time Machine DVD...

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 6:44 pm

yippie

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 9:08 am

somehow every time they come to perform around ny, there is something to do and i never end up going. but I hope to see them when they come to support their new album.

without a doubt rush is the best trio out there
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Very interesting..... Big Rush fan and this will certainly be on my list. Like the book tie-in. I've read all of Neil's books and dig his writing. So I missed the Snakes And Arrows tour cause I had to travel and low and behold the hotel I was staying in was, yup the same one the band was staying. Didn't meet the band but did talk to the road crew.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 1:36 am

Apparently this album will be coming out in May, the UK date is the 29th, not sure about the U.S.

Reports from a few people that have heard a preview of the material state that it's like a heavier variation on their early 80s sound. None of the tracks clock in at less than 6 minutes and evidently there are more Lifeson guitar solos this time.

The two songs that were released as digital singles a couple years ago (Caravan/BU2B) have been re-recorded for the new album.

The delay between the digital single release and the new album was because Rush changed record labels.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 2:51 am

S.D. wrote:
Apparently this album will be coming out in May, the UK date is the 29th, not sure about the U.S.

Reports from a few people that have heard a preview of the material state that it's like a heavier variation on their early 80s sound. None of the tracks clock in at less than 6 minutes and evidently there are more Lifeson guitar solos this time.

The two songs that were released as digital singles a couple years ago (Caravan/BU2B) have been re-recorded for the new album.

The delay between the digital single release and the new album was because Rush changed record labels.

I thought that they owned their record label? Anthem or is that something different?
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 8:56 am

I like the idea of more Lifeson solos! But if the album will be a heavier take on the 80s sound, I guess Caravan and BU2B will have a substantially different sound when redone. Truth be told I kind of liked the more organic style they have been developing. Looks like the lyrics will be about the same. I kind of prefer the older science fiction variety to the philosophy variety.

I just realized how many more Rush albums I need to buy. I own 12 studio albums, which seems like a decent amount. Yet there are 7 more to go. Sheesh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 12:43 pm

chewie wrote:

I thought that they owned their record label? Anthem or is that something different?

Anthem is their Canadian record label, Clockwork Angels is being released by Roadrunner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 11:01 pm

A few different pieces of artwork have leaked online, there has been no confirmation whether these images are official or not or where they would be used.

Possible front cover:

Rush - Clockwork Angels 542231_327065124017184_260338560689841_900630_1247955896_n

Possible Tour Program - they will be performing "Signals" in it's entirety on this tour, thus the dog and fire hydrant:

Rush - Clockwork Angels CAtourbook

Possible CD Insert/Disc art:

Rush - Clockwork Angels CAcov

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 11:26 pm

Looks pretty cool to me, man! I'm willing to bet this album'll be great.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Cool. I'm loving the possible cover and tour art, but that inner sleeve is pretty meh. I'm hoping the tweak that up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 2:36 pm

Actually, the red cover is the actual art:
Rush - Clockwork Angels Rush_ClockworkAngels_Artwork-1
Back to top Go down
Psychotron
Metal student
Metal student
Psychotron

Number of posts : 167

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Hmm...I like the single artwork better myself. I have high hopes for this album though.
Back to top Go down
http://nicksmetal.blogspot.com
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 11:23 pm

That is disappointing, not that it will affect my enjoyment of the actual tunes at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 1:16 am

Album covers don't really matter to me anymore. If they are cool it's a nice bonus, if they are terrible and the music is great then that's fine too.

Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 11:28 am

I am looking forward to this album. headbanger
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 4:18 pm

This is gonna be sweet......looking forward to hear how they progress now they have to take things down a step or two.

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 12:10 pm

"Headlong Flight", the new single from Clockwork Angels is being streamed at Rolling Stone's website.

Check it out here...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-stream-rush-return-with-heavy-headlong-flight-20120418
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 1:20 pm

I would have never thought that they would recycle stuff, but the beginning has a bit of a "Bastille Day" feel to it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 1:35 pm

chewie wrote:
I would have never thought that they would recycle stuff, but the beginning has a bit of a "Bastille Day" feel to it.

It's similar but not exact. I'm sure there is some "nudge-nudge-wink-wink" homage involved in that. There are some elements of By-Tor in there as well, but again just close enough to make that connection with the listener.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Clockwork Angels   Rush - Clockwork Angels Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rush - Clockwork Angels
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next