Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mutha's Day Out Reunion?

Go down 
+2
Cognitive Dissonance
Eyesore
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Empty
PostSubject: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 5:02 am

Looks like these guys have partially reformed.

Quote :
Well it is official.......there will be some new music coming from Mutha's Day Out and some European shows later this year ( Rwake, Deadbird, and Gazer are still going, this is just for fun).
The singer posted that on his Facebook page. He later commented that it's him, Chuck and Jeff from the original band, plus a new drummer.

Typically this sort of thing would excite me, but A) they were mostly teenagers when that album came out; they're in their 30s now; and B) I don't think new music from them would be anything like the old stuff unless they actually re-recorded those old, unreleased demos. And even then, without Brice's vocals it won't be the same.

And have you heard the stuff Jeff and Chuck have been doing since Mutha's Day Out broke up? Brutal sludge! Haha. I just don't see how this could work. We'll see, I guess.

But I'd take a b-sides album. That'd be sweet.

One of my all-time favorite songs.
Back to top Go down
Cognitive Dissonance
Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:22 pm

I have that album. It's all right, ahead of it's time actually. Not sure why there would be a reunion though. They were pretty obscure despite being on a major label and having a video on MTV. Was there anybody out there actually demanding a reunion of these guys? I just don't get it....
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:41 pm

they might be able to come up with something good. i'll wait & see. can't expect it to sound like before though.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 3:09 pm

Cognitive Dissonance wrote:
I have that album. It's all right, ahead of it's time actually. Not sure why there would be a reunion though. They were pretty obscure despite being on a major label and having a video on MTV. Was there anybody out there actually demanding a reunion of these guys? I just don't get it....
Uh, yeah. Quite a lot, actually. Especially overseas.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 5:33 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Looks like these guys have partially reformed.

Quote :
Well it is official.......there will be some new music coming from Mutha's Day Out and some European shows later this year ( Rwake, Deadbird, and Gazer are still going, this is just for fun).
The singer posted that on his Facebook page. He later commented that it's him, Chuck and Jeff from the original band, plus a new drummer.

Typically this sort of thing would excite me, but A) they were mostly teenagers when that album came out; they're in their 30s now; and B) I don't think new music from them would be anything like the old stuff unless they actually re-recorded those old, unreleased demos. And even then, without Brice's vocals it won't be the same.

And have you heard the stuff Jeff and Chuck have been doing since Mutha's Day Out broke up? Brutal sludge! Haha. I just don't see how this could work. We'll see, I guess.

But I'd take a b-sides album. That'd be sweet.

One of my all-time favorite songs.

Chuck and Jeff are in Rwake, if I'm not mistaken.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 6:29 pm

Jeff is. Chuck was. Chuck formed Deadbird after he left. Great bands, either way.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm with you 100% on Green! Beautiful, passionate, and powerful song that I still listen to regularly. Not sure if they'd be able to recapture the greatness of their one and only album though.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
LoyalMDOFan
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm glad people are talking about it. I'm gonna tell you the story that (sort of) lead to the reunion.

I got into Mutha's Day Out (MDO) in 2004, the start of my sophomore year in high school. I had always listened to the Mortal Kombat soundtrack, and wondered what this odd sounding song was (What U See).

Eventually I looked up the band, bought the album for a penny, and loved it. Instantly became a fan, but then realized they had broken up and hadn't been around since 1995. I just found it so odd that a band could rise to near stardom and then drop off. MK was supposed to be their launch point, but creative differences cut the band's life short.

Over the years, I tracked down Jeff, Chuck, and Mikal and shared a few questions/stories with them. I saw each of their new bands play (Rwake is the best of the three, IMO) and got to hang with them. It was so cool. And I always kept asking them to reunite because I thought it would be so cool to see them play one more show for those that got into them after their time had passed.

But the answer was always something to the effect of "it's been talked about but nothing's come of it" or "I don't see it happening." I knew that a full reunion would never be possible when Jeff told me in 2007 that Rod "would never talk to you about MDO". That's when I let it go and I thought that was the end of it. However, I always told Mikal how awesome I thought MDO was and how proud he should be of actually getting to make a record with a big time label and being in a movie that did pretty well at the box office.

Mind you, they did all of that within THREE YEARS. Most bands cut their teeth in the local scene for that same amount of time, never seeing anything close to a major deal. This band got signed by Chrysalis AFTER THEIR FIRST SHOW, BY SOMEONE WHO WASN'T EVEN THERE TO SIGN THEM. Amazing. It still astounds me how quickly they rose to great heights and quickly faded off the map.

Anyway, I get a call from Mikal in late 2010, and he talked about doing an extended MDO single, but he said he'd probably just get a band together by himself and do it (apparently, according to him, he 100% owns the rights to MDO). I got pretty excited, but I told him that the only way it would be successful is if he got most of the band back together. And possibly do it on an anniversary (2011 - 20 years after they formed, 2013 - 20 years after their album came out, etc). Mikal said he was undecided and said he would let know before anyone else. He eventually dropped the project. So, again, I thought it was a done deal.

I started to wonder about MDO late last week, and no sooner than I had that thought Mikal IMed me on Facebook and told me he was getting Jeff, Chuck, and a new drummer together to reunite MDO for an extended single and European tour dates. I couldn't believe it. He announced it the next day and I spread the word to a bunch of different websites. U.S. tour dates haven't been decided on, but he did say if they played one it would probably be in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Before/during all my encounters with the band, I created the MDO Myspace, Wikipedia, and a host of other sites in an attempt to stir interest back into the band. At one point (when Myspace was still at its prime), I had almost 1000 fans from all over the world friended on the MDO Myspace. Especially from overseas and in the South. Over time, Myspace and my interest in it dwindled and now the fanbase is basically scattered once again. I'm looking for a way to bring it all back again.

I have started a Twitter account (@MuthasDayOut) to keep MDO reunion updates on. And obviously, the Wikipedia page will be kept in check as well. It's going to be an exciting year for myself/other "MDOites" and for the band itself. It'll be interesting to see what direction they go with the music. If I knew I would say but I don't lol.

I have no idea where in Europe they would tour but I imagine they'll get alot of time spent in France (their Live EP was recorded in Paris to a sold out crowd). Europe is where they will find the most success. I doubt we'll see more than 3-4 U.S. shows, mainly so those who want to see them can, without saturating it.

In response to those who doubt the reunion will work:

1) They probably will stick to the more serious songs from My Soul is Wet, in addition to the new material (which will likely have the same tone). I don't believe Breakfast First Please would sound good coming from a 40 year old father of three haha.

2) There IS enough demand for it, both home and abroad. I would know more than anyone. There's fans out there who would DIE to see them. There's a guy in Michigan who's got practically everything MDO ever touched lol.

3) Nostalgia and old classics. In the short term, nostalgia is good. If people hear "What U See", they probably think Mortal Kombat. I bet we'll see a few of the original demo songs replayed in their setlists. Chuck is an avid fan of "Dead Sea", which is probably the most well known demo song MDO did.

4) At their prime, MDO was a FANTASTIC live act. If they play like that again in their 30s, you'll be surprised.

5) Now is the time.

I'm not gonna toot my own horn and say I got MDO to reunite and what not, but if I hadn't been such an avid fan of theirs and spread the word to practically everyone I could find, maybe this doesn't happen after all. Or maybe it was just meant to happen, if only once for fun.

If you wanna hear their entire catalog, it's under the username "KinkESizemore" on YouTube. Pretty good stuff. The demos are worth hearing.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:44 pm

it'll be interesting to hear what they come up with for sure.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Interested. Also very cool to see someone so young getting into such an old album.

And I've listened to those demos on YouTube, and most of them are really good. I only have the officially released demos from singles. At a minimum, it'd be fantastic if the guys just released those demo tracks.

There used to be a MDO fan page online years and years ago. It was basically the only website that had any real info about the band. The guy—I forget his name now—was all about getting the band to reunite, but nothing ever came of it. It was a great site. Long gone now, though. I think, anyway.

Either way, I'm interested to hear what comes of all this. While I definitely don't think they can recapture the same sound and style from when they were teens or just a bit older, I'm definitely excited for something.

I take it you're from Arkansas? Are you familiar with bands like Sickshine and Copsodomy?
Back to top Go down
LoyalMDOFan
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 9:29 am

I'm actually from Tennessee. I don't know either band lol.

And the guy's name with the website is Paul Cashman. He was buddies with MDO back when they came through Atlanta in 1994. Paul hasn't updated that website in YEARS though.

The demo being released would be awesome. There's only a few people that actually do have it. I have the demo because I recorded it via Audacity (which lowers sound quality in the process). If there's some way the people who have the actual CD can make copies and stuff and collaborate with the band, I bet it would be easy money.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:14 pm

Cashman! That's it. Hope he knows about the reunion.

Anyway, I was in the Air Force, stationed at Little Rock Air Force Base from early 1996 to late 1999, so I was lucky enough to get involved with the local scene a bit. Surprisingly, they had a kick-ass scene!
Back to top Go down
LoyalMDOFan
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 3:20 pm

I've met/talked to Cashman a few times. Definitely was one of the first I told when I got the news for sure lol. He knows.

And I bet, AR has produced a TON of great bands.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 3:31 pm

One of my favorite bands from that time:

Notice the drummer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mutha's Day Out Reunion?   Mutha's Day Out Reunion? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mutha's Day Out Reunion?
Page 1 of 1