Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Cars

Go down 
+27
Glower
Getizzyback
NYCAnt
metalinmyveins
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
DeathCult
mikeinfla
DallasBlack
TheGreatDuck
Metal Misfit
mlotek
James B.
stepcousin
exact33
QuothTheRaven
brokentulsa
tohostudios
chewie
kmorg
A Handful of Wayne
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
manny
GrandNational
ultmetal
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 12:21 pm

James B. wrote:
There a 70's band to me !

The best two albums (IMHO) were released in 78' and 79'

Agreed.

My favorite song from the 80's is "Drive" which is very unlike their other material.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 12:36 pm

"Drive" is a great song. Ben Orr's best IMO.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm not sure I even knew who The Cars were until I seen the videos for Magic and You Might Think.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 12:57 pm

Magic is a great song!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 7:44 pm

manny wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Yeah, I like The Cars. They had some really great songs. Whenever I hear their music it takes me back to the 80's. Never thought of them as metal... More like classic rock IMO.

They are not metal. Classic rock is how I would describe them, though back in the day they were labeled 'new wave' as I recall.

That is what I remember classified as was new wave

Then they are one of the few new wave band I like. I love almost all 80s pop but I hate most new wave (Devo, B52s, Flock Of Seagulls, etc.). I really enjoy The Cars but only feel satisfied with the greatest hits album I own.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 3:08 pm

The one from last year "Move Like This" is excellent. Sounds like the old stuff. Also, about 3 or 4 years ago they reformed with Todd Rundgren on vocals and called themselves "The New Cars". They released one live album.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:14 pm

The Cars are a great band, every album from the Self titled thru Heartbreak City is worth having.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
exact33
The King
exact33

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:01 pm

I am getting Door to Door. Just need Panorama and i am finished!

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:03 pm

I always thought the Cars were kinda cool. Back in the early days of MTV they were fairly inescapable, their videos got tons of play.

My wife's got the Cars' Greatest Hits CD in her vehicle, we play it fairly often when we're out and about. The kids like "Shake it Up." Very Happy

...and I once saw Indestructible Noise Command bust out their cover of "Candy-O/Just What I Needed" live!!! headbanger

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:04 pm

I like The Cars enough to listen if they come on the radio...but not to reach for intentionally...strong pop rock stuff.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:08 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
The one from last year "Move Like This" is excellent. Sounds like the old stuff. Also, about 3 or 4 years ago they reformed with Todd Rundgren on vocals and called themselves "The New Cars". They released one live album.

Considering the fact that The Cars weren't overhauling their sound very much on this record, I thought I would enjoy the album more than I did. I didn't dislike the album by any means, but I just thought it to be average. My favorite tracks on the album are: Sad Song, Free, It's Only & Keep on Knocking.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:14 pm

One indisputable fact involving anything relating to The Cars; Ric Ocasek is one fugly dude, yet he bagged one of the biggest babes on the planet back during the day, in one Paulina Porizkova. And yes, they are still together after 20+ years of marriage. What does this mean? Looks clearly aren't everything. It gives hope to every single guy out there that they two might end up with a smoking hot supermodel!
Back to top Go down
NYCAnt
Metal novice
Metal novice
NYCAnt

Number of posts : 30

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:17 pm

Ben Orr (RIP) was great!

Hey, I'm an old headbanger but can appreciate lots of non-metal bands like The Cars...if you want to listen to something of theirs "close to metal" then go to Youtube or wherever & checkout a song called Up and Down - close your eyes, open your ears & imagine your favorite metal band playing that song...trust me...you'll love it!

angry
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:57 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
One indisputable fact involving anything relating to The Cars; Ric Ocasek is one fugly dude,

You mean 'ol Ichabod Crane? Guy can go hang gliding with his ears. lol!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 7:41 pm

I think the Cars have some really strong material but it is mostly their well known stuff. their other stuff is ok.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 10:48 pm

The Cars is one of those bands where all I need is the Greatest Hits. Not much interested in individual albums.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 9:35 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
The Cars is one of those bands where all I need is the Greatest Hits. Not much interested in individual albums.

Naaaaaa, greatest hits albums suck. All you need is The Cars and Candy-O. Those two albums rule from beginning to end and are greatest hits albums in an of themselves.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 11:01 pm

I listened to the new album and I like "Free" the best, "Soon" is also a good song.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 9:49 am

The Cars - Page 2 83628-ing an ancient thread cuz I picked up the Cars' debut album at a thrift store a couple of days ago for two bucks and I'm diggin' it.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread (five years ago!), I always dug the Cars' radio/MTV sinles but never bothered to own any of their material. The debut is pretty solid stuff tho. Out of the 8 tracks on this album, four of them still get pretty regular play on classic rock radio all these years later ("Good Times Roll," "My Best Friend's Girl," "You're All I've Got Tonight" and "Bye Bye Love"), and "Moving In Stereo" is, of course, forever linked with the immortal Phoebe-Cates-Rising-From-The-Pool-In-A-Bikini scene from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." Not a bad batting average. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40564

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 10:29 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
"Moving In Stereo" is, of course, forever linked with the immortal Phoebe-Cates-Rising-From-The-Pool-In-A-Bikini scene from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High."

cool Cool
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 5:48 pm

When Benj Orr died in 2000 - I was sad. He was super cool.
Love The CARS. Boston band. cheers fashion musicians too -
At the time - there was Blondie, Devo, Talking Heads, Ramones, etc .
I couldn't believe my ears when the s/t songs - hit the airwaves -
the keyboards added a new dimension - it jumped from the radio !
I heard the drummer was unhappy, because of electronic drums Rik used -
Elliot Easton was bored with all left handed little lead guitar spots -
Could someone put up the front page cover photo in CIRCUS magazine !
BOSTON's s/t was the same way - very very new sounding -
but The CARS had strange lyrics / poetic and unusual lines -
and the way they sang the songs - dead-pan - and somewhat odd -
I saw them live and the drum opening to this song - I still recall.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 8:57 am

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 7:37 pm

I recently picked up Candy - O as I have been beefing up my Cars collection a bit. They are a pretty darn good band that have some meat beyond the singles/ hits. Plus, their back catalog is super cheap brand new.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 1:15 pm

She doesn't wear her shoes gossip
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 8:57 am

First two albums are out and out classics. The subsequent albums were mixed, some excellent tunes and others I didn't care for.

I would probably qualify the first album, though I burnt myself on it a bit in the early 2000s, as one of my top whatever favorites ever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Cars - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cars   The Cars - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Cars
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next