Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Deep Purple in 2013?

Go down 
+17
Shawn Of Fire
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
EmoElmo
Andy
brokentulsa
journeyman
TheGreatDuck
adrian
ShadowAngel
thejokeriv
Metal Misfit
James B.
Speedmetalfreak
MEGATRON
MoonChild
manny
BearOnUnicycle
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 1:24 am

And I will take Dio over Gillan in Sabbath too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 1:43 am

Gillan is easily one of my favorite vocalists, so I'm biased in the opposite direction.

Dio was great on the albums he recorded with Sabbath, Gillan was great on Born Again, he brought a personality to the table that doesn't exist on any Sabbath album without him. That makes Born Again a completely unique experience in their catalog and that's why I dig it so much.

I would never choose Coverdale over Gillan in Deep Purple, not in a million years. David is a perfectly good vocalist, but I have never been a fan.

I'm ecstatic that Deep Purple is doing another album, I've enjoyed all the albums they've done since Morse joined and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one as well. I also have a feeling that Lord's untimely passing will be inspiration for the sessions.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 9:47 am

I agree with S.D., I am a Coverdale fan, and 'Come Taste the Band' is an excellent album IMO but to me the voice of Deep Purple will always be Ian Gillan
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 10:18 am

I have Machine Head and Very Best...I need to begin to get the other DP albums and really dig into them like I have Alice Cooper, David Bowie and Kiss (all bands I have liked over the years, but never spent time with/bought their albums)...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:14 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I have Machine Head and Very Best...I need to begin to get the other DP albums and really dig into them like I have Alice Cooper, David Bowie and Kiss (all bands I have liked over the years, but never spent time with/bought their albums)...

Grab 'In Rock', ' "Perfect Strangers' ' Made In Japan' 'Burn' 'Fireball' and 'Masters and Slaves' which features Joe Lynn Turner
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 7:25 pm

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Grab 'In Rock', ' "Perfect Strangers' ' Made In Japan' 'Burn' 'Fireball' and 'Masters and Slaves' which features Joe Lynn Turner

I got those first four, one of their 80s albums, and 2 of their 90s albums.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 12:20 pm

...and the title of the new record is...

Deep ?urp!e - NOW What ?!

Here is the press release:

“After the last Deep Purple record came seven years of blissful touring. Then the phone rang… NOW What ?!”
(Ian Gillan)

NOW What ?! has been produced by Bob Ezrin, one of the most important rock producers of all time (Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, Kiss and many others)

NOW What ?! features 11 new songs.

NOW What ?! was recorded with no musical rules… and it shows a modern and fresh production… to the point that Deep ?urp!e have never sounded so close to the spirit of the 70s in the last 20 years as they do NOW.

NOW What ?! has the excellence and elegance of „Perfect Strangers“ and the wild freedom of Made in Japan.

NOW What ?! will also be released as a limited edition with a bonus DVD featuring Deep ?urp!e discussing the new album and one bonus studio cover version.

NOW What ?! will be released as double vinyl LP.

NOW What ?! is also the name of the World Tour to be announced shortly.

NOW What ?! will be released in Germany on April 26th. Worldwide release dates can be found at www.deeppurple-nowwhat.com which will be updated daily with news, lyrics, photos & more.

The first taste of NOW What ?! will be the release of a double A-side single on March 29th (as a limited and numbered vinyl 7“, CD single and digital download).

7“ VINYL (limited to 1000 numbered copies)
Side A: “Hell To Pay“ (radio edit) / Side B: “All The Time in The World“ (radio mix – edit)
CD SINGLE
1) “All The Time in The World“ (radio mix – edit) 2) “Hell To Pay“ (radio edit)
3) Perfect Strangers (bonus track live) 4) Rapture Of The Deep (bonus track live)

www.deep-purple.com
www.deeppurple-nowwhat.com
www.facebook.com/officialdeeppurple
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Should be pretty good. Although DP with Steve Morse is kinda "meh" in my opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 12:58 pm

I still prefer the Morse albums to the last few records with Blackmore (House Of Blue Light, Slaves & Masters, The Battle Rages On). I think Morse brought in some much needed stylistic variety to the proceedings and also improved the consistency of their live performances.

Of course you can never really "replace" someone as important as Blackmore, but he was such a dictator in the end that the other band members weren't able to contribute anything. They've been a much happier band since Morse joined and I think that is reflected in the breadth of sounds they've been able to draw upon for their albums with Steve and is definitely evident in their concert videos where it's easy to see how much fun they are having playing together.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:06 pm

Here is a short teaser video, the music is the introduction to one of the songs. Sounds very proggy which is great news as far as I'm concerned.

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:09 pm

I've realized I'm exclusively a Mk II Deep Purple nut. Everything else is very good, but nothing matches those 5 musicians in their prime.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:41 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I've realized I'm exclusively a Mk II Deep Purple nut. Everything else is very good, but nothing matches those 5 musicians in their prime.

I am with you, I like all versions of Deep Purple ( for example I am the only person I know who loved 'Slaves and Masters" ) but there is something magical about the MK II line up IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Of course MKII was the best at their peak, one of the best bands in history.

But if you plugged Blackmore back into the lineup right now I'm not convinced you'd end up with a better record.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:45 pm

S.D. wrote:
Of course MKII was the best at their peak, one of the best bands in history.

But if you plugged Blackmore back into the lineup right now I'm not convinced you'd end up with a better record.

Actually I think it would be disaster IMO, his heart would not be in it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:51 pm

manny wrote:

Actually I think it would be disaster IMO, his heart would not be in it.

Exactly...and the rest of the band would be miserable. I'm happy with my memories of the MKII lineup in their prime...and I'm looking forward to enjoying another fine Deep Purple album with Steve Morse.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 9:28 pm

I really dig Deep Purple and all of the releases, including Masters and Slaves. MK II is the best by far, but that's not where the story ends. I'm glad Ritchie left, he just wasn't into it anymore. Steve Morse is perfect for the band in every way. Ian is probably my favorite vocalist, so I'm bias. I like Coverdale, Hughes and Turner both in Deep Purple and otherwise. I wasn't much into the MK I version and quite honestly I never gave them a chance. The teaser sounds great, I can't wait. I hope DP make a run through the states.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:10 pm

There is some good material on the MKI albums, they were searching trying to find a sound. You had Simper & Evans pulling for a more commercial direction, Blackmore pulling for a harder rocking direction and Lord leaning toward more progressive material. That caused the band to not be very cohesive but at the same time that clash of wills also created some very interesting tunes when things aligned correctly. You could make a very fine compilation CD out of those 3 MKI albums.

Of course when Evans and Simper were fired and replaced by Gillan and Glover then all the pieces were finally in place...but I think those first 3 records were a good testing ground for the band to see what elements worked and what didn't. That allowed them to come out laser focused for In Rock.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:25 pm

I haven't listened to a Deep Purple record since Perfect Strangers and I really have no strong opinions on the Gillan/Coverdale thing, both are really strong singers and Burn is my favorite DP song. I just can't imagine Purple without John Lord!
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Listening to Slaves and Masters. and the band is really firing on all cylinders. I understand the Rainbow criticism, but really, this is Deep Purple. I should give the first couple albums a real listen. I've been very impressed with the last few Deep Purple releases and don't understand why they aren't given more attention. Bananas is a regular play for me. Guess I'm gonna load up the iphone with some Deep Purple for tomorrow. Been on a UFO kick the last few days, so it's time for a refresh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I haven't listened to a Deep Purple record since Perfect Strangers and I really have no strong opinions on the Gillan/Coverdale thing, both are really strong singers and Burn is my favorite DP song. I just can't imagine Purple without John Lord!

Jon Lord is the one whose chose Don Airey to replace him when Lord decided he didn't want to tour any longer. Airey has done a great job primarily by not imitating what Lord would have played, while stylistically it totally works he's just been himself and that was the best method for the material. It is similar to the way that Morse approached the gig, he never attempted to mimic the way Blackmore would have played he just did his own thing. This extends to Morse not copying any of Blackmore's solos note for note when playing the older material live, he came up with his own.

Bands out there hiring "clones" to fill in for departed members could learn a thing or two from the way Deep Purple approached it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 7:54 am

Very true S.D., Tommy Bolin musically had nothing in common with Blackmore , while alot of fans hated them " Come Taste the Band" I personally loved it.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 9:51 am

S.D. wrote:

Dio was great on the albums he recorded with Sabbath, Gillan was great on Born Again, he brought a personality to the table that doesn't exist on any Sabbath album without him. That makes Born Again a completely unique experience in their catalog and that's why I dig it so much.

That lp was a HUGE disappointment for me, w/Gillan and Ward back in the band, I expected something much better!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Deep Purple in 2013?   New Deep Purple in 2013? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Deep Purple in 2013?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2