Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"

Go down 
+22
thejokeriv
James B.
kmorg
Shawn Of Fire
Speedmetalfreak
Metal Misfit
Eyesore
adrian
MEGATRON
DallasBlack
exact33
metalhead777
Troublezone
Mglaffas81
mc666
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
Andy
MetalGuy71
GrandNational
Lari
Addy
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:43 pm

GrandNational wrote:
You mean there are metal musicians who see themselves as Christians even while playing in secular bands. Say it ain't so!

affraid

Name names and I'll stop buying their music.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
You mean there are metal musicians who see themselves as Christians even while playing in secular bands. Say it ain't so!

affraid

Name names and I'll stop buying their music.

dont tell the westboro baptist folks!!

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:26 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

I don't get it - are we making fun of Zakk, or...???

Dunno about anybody else, but I was Very Happy

Me too. But I don't descriminate. I make fun of secular, Christian, Canadian, whatever.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Quote :
One of his Pride and Glory songs is even called 'Sweet Jesus'

Savatage has Hear My Soul and neither Jon Oliva or Paul O'Neil (though Paul admits to having a Catholic backrgound) proffess to be Christians. That and I haven't heard Pride & Glory in almost 10 years.

Yeah, but my point was that Zakk Wylde often talks about being a Christian in interviews. My post wasn't directed at just you, it was more of a general observation.
Back to top Go down
Speedmetalfreak
Metal student
Metal student
Speedmetalfreak

Number of posts : 126

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:09 am

His riffs are a blessing headbanger
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 8:32 am

What we have to understand, and I know this doesn't sit well with some, is that the word "Christian" means different things to different people.

When someone uses the word as a self-descriptor, it conjures up instant comparisons to and expectations of what the person who hears it considers to actually be "christian".

I doubt Zakk is using it the same way, and that it carries the same connotations, as someone like Steve Rowe.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 9:59 am

Quote :
I doubt Zakk is using it the same way, and that it carries the same connotations, as someone like Steve Rowe.

I'm sure you're right. He's most likely using the term in a much broader context.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 11:04 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

I'm sure you're right. He's most likely using the term in a much broader context.

Sure. Technically, I'm a Christian too. Raised Catholic, 12 years of Catholic brainwashing schooling, received the sacraments and all that stuff. I was even an altar boy, if you can believe that. Laughing

So I might not attend chuch or pray at night, but I'm still a Christian in a loose sense of the term. I don't follow any particular religious code or claim to be an Atheiest, so I'm still Christian by default, right?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 12:24 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
What we have to understand, and I know this doesn't sit well with some, is that the word "Christian" means different things to different people.

When someone uses the word as a self-descriptor, it conjures up instant comparisons to and expectations of what the person who hears it considers to actually be "christian".

Very wise words.

And to those who thought it was strange that people didn't know: Not even one ounce of Zakk's public lifestyle have even remotely given me this impression.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 12:43 pm

I read someplace that one is known by their fruit

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 12:45 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Sure. Technically, I'm a Christian too. Raised Catholic, 12 years of Catholic brainwashing schooling, received the sacraments and all that stuff. I was even an altar boy, if you can believe that. Laughing

You involved in any of the court cases? LOL!!!!

I was raised Catholic too and an Altar Boy too - wedding where the best since I got a tip! Which was quickly spent on Metal music!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 12:58 pm

Quote :
And to those who thought it was strange that people didn't know: Not even one ounce of Zakk's public lifestyle have even remotely given me this impression.

You got a point. He cusses like a sailor and used to be intoxicated frequently. But ultimately, at least he speaks possitively about God.

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:00 pm

I "dated" catholic chicks in my high school years. The lil plaid skirts gave a guy easy access to "heaven" At least the defintion of it at that point in my life.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:06 pm

^^^ I went to college in Staten Island, NY, which was highly Italian, and therefore highly Catholic. Some of those former Catholic school kids (guys and gals) ended up being the biggest party animals, drunks, and bed hoppers. I guess they had been oppressed for so long that when they finally got "free" they just freakin' exploded. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:08 pm

mc666 wrote:
how many days until he's deleted from Wikipedia?

Laughing very hard
Yeah kick him out like the other self promoting christian so called metal bands.......
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:26 pm

Quote :
Some of those former Catholic school kids (guys and gals) ended up being the biggest party animals, drunks, and bed hoppers. I guess they had been oppressed for so long that when they finally got "free" they just freakin' exploded.

They got nothing on those Amish kids. Laughing
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:41 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
^^^ I went to college in Staten Island, NY, which was highly Italian, and therefore highly Catholic. Some of those former Catholic school kids (guys and gals) ended up being the biggest party animals, drunks, and bed hoppers. I guess they had been oppressed for so long that when they finally got "free" they just freakin' exploded. Very Happy

Nah, Catholics where always like that, not just when they broke free. Being raised Catholic is not all like being raised in a patriarchal evangelical home when the parents tightly control everything the kids listen to, watch, read, etc, etc.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Quote :

Nah, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that never got diddled. I guess I wasn't cute enough. However, when I watch the news reports, I'm always curious as to the priests they nab. There were a coupla that wouldn't surprise me at all if they got accussed.

Thankfully my parents weren't very strict, religiously speaking. We went to church on Sunday and all that, but I wasn't kept in a bubble either.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 2:08 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Nah, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that never got diddled. I guess I wasn't cute enough. However, when I watch the news reports, I'm always curious as to the priests they nab. There were a coupla that wouldn't surprise me at all if they got accussed.

Thankfully my parents weren't very strict, religiously speaking. We went to church on Sunday and all that, but I wasn't kept in a bubble either.

That's pretty much how much Catholic kids are raised - not shielded and raised in a micro-culture.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 4:19 pm

I'll never forget that bit on Family Guy, where Peter is looking for a potty-training book for Stewie - as soon as he mentions he's catholic, he gets a book called "You are a bad boy, and that's concentrated evil coming out the back of you! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 4:23 pm

I'm a soldier for the Stay Puft marshmallow man.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm a soldier for Galactus.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 5:59 pm

........and if you guys were standing up.....you still wouldn't be funny.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Nah, we would.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 6:04 pm

I laugh at my own jokes too

PostSubject: Re: Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"   Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ" - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Zakk Wylde "I'm A Soldier For Christ"
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next