Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Helstar

Go down 
+20
Zdan
Troublezone
Gilbert
sam
skullsmasher
SideShowDisaSter
scottmitchell74
James B.
zombiewalkin
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
krokus
ultmetal
Thrasher73
SAHB Healer
KissinMaiden
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
kmorg
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 2:17 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I only have Nosferatu and Twas the Night..., so I'd be interested in picking this one up.

You need BURNING STAR and A DISTANT THUNDER.

Yea, they're on the wish list. They don't pop up too often in the used bins. That's the only reason I picked "Twas the Night...". I'd heard that it was poorly recorded and I'm not too big on live releases to begin with, but I saw it sitting there cheap, so I snagged it. I don't even remember the last time I listenend to it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 2:21 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
That's the only reason I picked "Twas the Night...". I'd heard that it was poorly recorded and I'm not too big on live releases to begin with, but I saw it sitting there cheap, so I snagged it. I don't even remember the last time I listenend to it.

The two reasons you cite here (poor production, and the fact that I'm not big on live albums either) are why I don't own "Twas The Night...". Smile

Although I'm told that "Twas The Night" is something of a rarity/collectible nowadays so if I ever do come across one I'd probably snag it just for the sake of completing the collection.

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 2:31 pm

I doubt it's rare. I see it for sale for like 5 bucks pretty often.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 2:46 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I can't tell ya the last time I've seen a copy of it. I've heard that it goes for pretty decent $$ on eBay. I think Metal Blade only pressed a few thousand of'em
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 2:49 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Saw them in 87 (or was it 86?) on their "Remnants of War" tour with TT Quick headlining on their "Metal of Honor" tour. Great show, no one there to see it but a handful of diehards. After Helstar, the place cleared out and me and about 20 other people stayed to watch TT Quick. They ruled! After their set both bands came out and partied with us.

Sad that even back in the glory days their were only 20 people watching TT QUICK. Even nowadays they could be playing at big festivals in europe and being more popular then back in the mid 80s. Bands like HELSTAR, TYTON, WILD DOGS, or TT QUICK get more respect today from the young metal heads then back in the day when it was in the fashion to be into metal.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 2:50 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I can't tell ya the last time I've seen a copy of it. I've heard that it goes for pretty decent $$ on eBay. I think Metal Blade only pressed a few thousand of'em

I don't know how many were made, but seeing ANY Helstar in the used bins I frequent qualifies as a rareity to me, so I grabbed it.

EDIT: a quickie search on ebay turned up 2 copies of "Twas the Night..." each for $0.99 with no bids. Go for it Freddy!

Last edited by on Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 2:51 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I don't know how many were made, but seeing ANY Helstar in the used bins I frequent qualifies as a rareity to me, so I grabbed it.

cool Very true.
Back to top Go down

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 3:46 pm

That new recording sounds pretty killer, if you ask me! Sins of the Past was supposed to be the name of the upcoming, 4-years-late, Sinergy album. JINX! Dammit.
Back to top Go down

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 3:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

EDIT: a quickie search on ebay turned up 2 copies of "Twas the Night..." each for $0.99 with no bids. Go for it Freddy!
$4 from lasercd.com:

http://www.lasercd.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=3984%20143062

It's a pretty terrible live album, though, so don't pay more than that.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 4:06 pm

Helstar is a great band!! Was fortunate enough to share the stage with them 2 times. 2 different line-ups of course, but both times were equally awesome!

A few people asked if James can do the death metal vocals. Yes he can. The guy is an amazing vocalist bar none!

You should hear his side band Sabbath Judas Sabbath!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 1:30 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

$4 from lasercd.com:

http://www.lasercd.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=3984%20143062

It's a pretty terrible live album, though, so don't pay more than that.

Haha, thanks guys, but if it's really THAT bad I think I'll pass. I have all the studio albums so I don't really need sub-par live renditions of those songs. Smile
Back to top Go down

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 2:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Haha, thanks guys, but if it's really THAT bad I think I'll pass. I have all the studio albums so I don't really need sub-par live renditions of those songs. Smile
It's an album for the completists. And the price is right. I admit, though, that I've never listened to it more than one time. That was enough.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 3:07 pm

It's not bad. I don't know why you guys say that.

It is not studio-polished and re-recorded like so many other "live" albums.

It sounds like a pretty good bootleg pressed onto live CD.

Their performance was fine. The recording is fine for a live bootleg. You can get it cheap. If you are a HELSTAR fan, especially of that lineup, it is well-worth the money.

(Now if I can just track down the Andre Corbin demo for less than 100 bucks ....)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 8:43 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
I'm wondering about these re-recordings since they are tuning the guitars down and are adding some death metal vocals on some parts but I am sure I will buy it anyway.

Did you ever pick this up? What was the verdict?

I've been on a bit of a Helstar kick that past couple days. 🤘

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 9:38 am

I didn't care for it much to be honest.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 11:49 am

I have Nosferatu.......love that album! I saw James with Destiny's End back in 99 or so. James was ultra cool! So was the whole band actually.
Back to top Go down

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 11:57 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
affraid

Frankly, this is shocking.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 12:56 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
affraid

Yeah ... it was disappointing to me.

Have you heard it? What was your take?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
affraid

What didn't you like about it ToB?

Re-recording old tracks is hard because you have the nostalgia factor to deal with. Even if the old recordings were raw, people still tend to hold them in high regard because it's "what they are use to."

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 2:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
affraid

I was being sarcastic. You seem to not like much. Haha. I actually haven't heard it, just a few songs from the media player on the band's site. The songs sounded good, but I haven't heard enough to make a call on the entire thing.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 2:42 pm

ultmetal wrote:
What didn't you like about it ToB?

1. production. Not really improved over the originals (except for the earlier material, which I was never a fan of).

2. worse performances than the original. Guitar solos and vocals. Drums may be the exception. Trevino is nowhere near the level of Andre Corbin (who might've been an interesting candidate to replace Skolnick in TESTAMENT I think). In the words of an online friend "HELSTAR had the best dual guitarists ever" and I tend to agree. Now they don't anymore and I think they lost a huge part of what made them special.

3. intermittent death metal vocals. I'm not totally opposed to them trying this on the old tunes, I just don't see how this improved anything. While I'm at it, tuning the songs down didn't really add any punch or heaviness either but I guess maybe it made it easier for Rivera to sing.

Can't think of any way that the re-recordings excel over the originals except for the songs from their first two discs (which I am not into).

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Cool. Thanks for the rundown.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 7:54 pm

really dig this band....saw them alot..... always hear folks say Rigor Mortis was the begining of thrash in Tx. I beg to differ
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 7:58 pm

Are they similar to Seven Witches?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 10:36 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Are they similar to Seven Witches?

Somewhat... I always thought of Helstar as the love child of Judas Priest and Dio on speed.

If you go here you can check out some sample tuneage:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/helstar ("Burning Star" album)

http://cdbaby.com/cd/helstar2 ("Remnants of War" album)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Helstar - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helstar   Helstar - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Helstar
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next