Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

70s music thread

Go down 
+15
Witchfinder
Addy
Wurthless
akeldama
mlotek
Wargod
stepcousin
manny
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
James B.
brokentulsa
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39603

70s music thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 6:01 pm

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIghts ! C'mon who can't get into that ? lol!
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 6:18 am

Witchfinder wrote:

blech

I understand you completely. If I was forced to listen to them as a kid, I'd probably hate them too. However, I've never been forced to listen to them...But I had (and still have) to endure crap like this:

So BCR don't sound that bad to me, compared to this... Still, I'm not a fan of theirs either. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 7:30 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Don't kid yourselves, there is more music than ever right now and this is the golden age for the music lover.

This makes me scared because alot of todays music is pure crap
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 7:45 am

As Metal-On-Metal said earlier, it's much easier to find music these days... And there's still a lot of good stuff coming out, just not in the mainstream... Which pretty much sucked ever since grunge died off.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 9:35 am

Let's not forget Jefferson Starship!

Craig Chaquico is a really great and underrated guitarist.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 9:47 am

And here's some progressive rock from former Yugoslavia:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 pm

You wanna see how great the 70's were? Just look at this "partial" list of albums released in the year 1970 alone.

Santana
MC5 - Back In The USA
The Guess Who - American Woman
The Mothers Of Invention - Burnt Weenie Sandwich
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Van Morrison - Moondance
Atomic Rooster - Atomic Roooster
Mountain - Climbing!
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Nike Drake - Bryter Later
The Doors - Morrison Hotel
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
CSN&Y - Deja Vu
Jimi Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys
Faces - First Step
Asterix - Asterix
Lucifer's Friend - Lucifer's Friend
Funkadelic - Funkadelic
Ten Years After - Cricklewood Green
Jethro Tull - Benefit
Black Widow - Sacrifice
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Eric Burdon & War
Joni Mitchell - Ladies Of The Canyon
Cream - Live Cream
The Beatles - Let It Be
King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon
The Who - Live At Leeds
Woodstock: Soundtrack
Deep Purple - In Rock
Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead
Alice Cooper - Easy Action
Free - Fire & Water
Uriah Heep - Very 'eavy, Very 'umble
Supertramp - Supertramp
Yes - Time And A Word
CCR - Cosmo's Factory
The Doors - Absolutely Live
Grand Funk Railroad - Closer To Home
Funkadelic - Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow
The Stooges - Funhouse
Humble Pie - Humble Pie
James Gang Rides Again
Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
Parliament - Osmium
Canned Heat - Future Blues
The Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance
The Mothers Of Invention - Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Neil Young - After The Gold Rush
James Brown - Sex Machine
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Santana - Abraxas
Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You
Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
Mott The Hoople - Mad Shadows
The Guess Who - Share The Land
Led Zeppelin - III
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
Freddie Hubbard - Street Life
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant
Grateful Dead - American Beauty
Jefferson Starship - Blows Against The Empire
Derek And The Dominoes - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
Trapeze - Medusa
The Doobie Brothers - The Doobie Brothers
Warhorse - Warhorse
Wishbone Ash - Wishbone Ash
King Crimson - Lizard
CCR - Pendulum
John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Band
T. Rex - T. Rex
Eric Burdon & War - The Black Man's Burdon
Free - Highway
Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdome Come
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Lick My Decals Off, Baby
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - ELP
Focus - Focus Plays Focus
Jimi Hendrix - Smash Hits
John McLaughlin - My Goals Beyond
Lee Morgan - Live At The Lighthouse
Lonnie Smith - Drives
Miles Davis - A Tribute To Jack Johnson
Miles Davis - Black Beauty
Stanley Turrentine - Sugar
Stephen Stills - Stephen Stills
Wayne Shorter - Odyssey Of Iska

....I had a hard time coming up with 10 new releases from last year that I loved.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:31 pm

from last year I came up with two I loved:

Alice Cooper-Welcome 2 my Nightmare
Opeth- Heritage
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:51 pm

S.D. wrote:
You wanna see how great the 70's were? Just look at this "partial" list of albums released in the year 1970 alone.

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Nike Drake - Bryter Later
The Doors - Morrison Hotel
Jimi Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys
The Beatles - Let It Be
King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon
The Who - Live At Leeds
Deep Purple - In Rock
Alice Cooper - Easy Action
Yes - Time And A Word
The Stooges - Funhouse
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Led Zeppelin - III
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
Trapeze - Medusa
King Crimson - Lizard
John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Band
T. Rex - T. Rex
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - ELP

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Hawklord
Metal student
Metal student
Hawklord

Number of posts : 228

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 03, 2017 10:53 pm

Where a lot of people slip up with the 70's which was probably the best era, the majority of the bigger bands stemmed from the late 60's, and some before then where their roots came from.
I suppose the godfather of rock bands and earliest was the Yardbirds who in the early 60s took music to a different level, and the mid 60's bought about Cream and Jimi, who notched up a level.
So what happened during the 70s all came about from the 60's with many of the bands that are legends today.
If you check albums out it was 69 and 70 when the big breakthrough started, though a few were already established before then 68/69 and had big followings already established.
You got the Glam Rock, Thrash metal, Punk, and the famous Brit new wave of metal as it was called back then with Maiden etc, so all in all a good decade for rock music. All contributing to Progressive Rock.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 1:24 pm

The Bay City Rollers were a good band with some good tracks..To me the 70s was a great decade..interesting thing is Radio played a huge part of the 70s and 70s rock radio played everything...you might here some journey, blondie, nugent, aerosmith and bay city rollers all on the same AOR rock station back to back...
Back to top Go down
Hawklord
Metal student
Metal student
Hawklord

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 3:12 pm

brokentulsa

Rollers. not what I'd call a rock band, anyway do recall just before they went megapop, they played our city on a Friday night, and was too popular and stayed over and did the Saturday night to.
The only other bands to do the same were Suzi Quatro and The Sweet, Friday and stopover.
Sweet were like 2 sounds, Glam Rock and metal..many of their single B sides where good solid rock, even their live gigs, saw them once and numbers they did between their hits were a bit too heavy for the kids watching and had some good guitar breaks..lol   although thinking about it, Oasis may have done 2 nights running to.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 3:34 pm

For me when it comes to the 70s Im all about Bowie, Floyd and Queen
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 1:41 am

I discovered heavy metal in 1980 so the '70s were a much more pop orientated time for me

Then my rebellious streak kicked in!

[youtube]8UZLOjr1X9I/youtube]

I love the 70s, most of my favourite bands did their best stuff in the 70s. I discovered so much great stuff from that decade later on but this was got me going in my very early years
Back to top Go down
Hawklord
Metal student
Metal student
Hawklord

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 7:26 pm

A good pointer at gigs in the early 70's was, if there wasnt a support band on first the main group usually did 2 sets, some playing over 2 hours. some right through, e.g. ELP.. split their gig into 3 you could say, with album tracks, Pictures in full, then 3 more tracks always finishing with Knife Edge.
You always got your moneys worth.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 7:55 pm

Hawklord wrote:
A good pointer at gigs in the early 70's was, if there wasnt a support band on first the main group usually did 2 sets, some playing over 2 hours. some right through
When i first started attending club gigs around 1987, many punk and metal bands kept that tradition, doing 2 sets, especially splitting it for a matinee/afternoon all-ages show, and then later with a night time/ drinking show.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12622

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 8:17 pm

My favorite aspect of the 70's rock scene was seeing multiple bands in a football stadium or on speedway grounds. My first ever concert was California Jam in 1974. ELP, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Black Oak Arkansas, Eagles, Seals n Crofts, and I think Earth, Wind, and Fire. The one that sucked was we were on our way up to Oakland to see Zeppelin, Derringer, and Priest in 1977 and the van broke down. My older brother was like no big deal, we can go see Zeppelin next week in L.A. Then one of Plant's kid died and the Oakland gig was the last show they ever played in the USA.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 8:47 pm

James B. wrote:
 The one that sucked was we were on our way up to Oakland to see Zeppelin, Derringer, and Priest in 1977 and the van broke down.  My older brother was like no big deal, we can go see Zeppelin next week in L.A.  Then one of Plant's kid died and the Oakland gig was the last show they ever played in the USA.

whoahh!! that is probably one of the suckiest things ever! Bummer.
In 1980, when Bonham died, ONE guy in my elementary school was really pissed off. he said he ordered a ticket or was planning to, and to bus travel to NY state (maybe to Buffalo?) to see them.

I was just a child still and only knew maybe a couple songs of theirs at that time like "Fool In The Rain", so it didn't mean that much, compared to when John Lennon died.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2017 6:43 pm

I grew up in the 70's and to me my favorite decade of music. To me it defined how music evolved the 60's basically started it but the 70's defined it. While I love all the commercial bands mentioned above there are so many more that never got heard.
I've been going back finding lost gems Stepson, Hustler, A Foot In Cold Water, Bastard, Target, Locust......and many more. There are so many bands from the 70's. I do a radio show called The 70's Flashback Show which showcases many bands from the 70's and I include a lot of bands from the 60's as well.

Wargod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

70s music thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: