Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

black metal or death metal?

Go down 
+42
BearOnUnicycle
Orion Crystal Ice
T-Roy
MoonChild
choosemetal
MetallicSeminarian
Lari
Ravenscraig
Boris2008
Metal Misfit
Lurideath
Joe
Grimmo
Witchfinder
DallasBlack
metalinmyveins
bassman
mlotek
Troublezone
ghost
EmoElmo
Speedmetalfreak
rawr!
James B.
nevermore
tohostudios
metalhead777
thejokeriv
Spiner202
Temple of Blood
exact33
ultmetal
kmorg
mc666
Leatherface
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
Alex Dee Rokket
adrian
Required Fields
Andy
weepee123
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Speedmetalfreak
Metal student
Metal student
Speedmetalfreak

Number of posts : 126

black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 3:34 am

James B. wrote:
i prefer "black" metal

black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOZ-d5pjBl5VSHf9O3v2K6nlTRgHZxDFVksBxLjTdJbP0KvLlt

I always wondered why there aren't many black dudes in metal music?
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 6:18 am

I can listen to 2 or 3 bands (first wave of Black Metal), that's about the closest that I can get into this type of music. I even hate Blackened Thrash because I thought the combo is like water and oil....Norweigan Black Metal, uhm, I'd rather not comment on this one Rolling Eyes

Is it just me or...there aren't so many great Black Metal bands out there?

Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 6:36 am

I prefer Death Metal. Favorite bands are Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy and In Flames.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 6:53 am

Okay this calls for a top 10 favorites from each genre

Death Metal (in no particular order):

Morbid Angel
Malevolent Creation
Nile
Immolation
Pestilence
Gorguts
Hypocrisy
Decapitation
Death
Decrepit Birth

Black Metal (in no particular order):

Immortal
Satyricon
Dimmu Borgir
Enslaved
Bathory
Mayhem
Borknagar
Marduk
Emperor
Darkthrone

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 8:02 am

Death metal. Favorite band: Death
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Probably black metal over death metal.
When the death metal bandwagon happened around 1990-91 (just before , and at the same as the grunge bandwagon), a lot of the thrash metal bands I used to see play live, no longer were booked, just death metal.
so that makes me a little biased.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 4:21 pm

James B. wrote:
i prefer "black" metal

black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOZ-d5pjBl5VSHf9O3v2K6nlTRgHZxDFVksBxLjTdJbP0KvLlt

Don't forget these other tr00 grimm kvlt black metallers:

Sound Barrier
black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Sound-barrier

Black Death
black metal or death metal? - Page 2 1283457231-bd

Body Count
black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Body_Count

Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 4:33 pm

Anybody remember these guys? The band is called Black Sheep.....

[youtube][/youtube]
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Definitely death metal for me, I've gotten into some black metal more recently but it's usually death with some black elements instead of straight up black metal.

Bands.....

Death
Early Mortification
Suffocation
Crimson Thorn
Crimson Moonlight
Immolation
Nile
Pestilence
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 8:26 pm

Suffocation is a great band.

...and for a bit of fun I love the video they made for the History Channel

Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Blood Oath is probably my most-listened-to death metal disc last year.

Really intense stuff. headbanger
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 8:48 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Black Death

This is too funny. That skull that guy is holding is 10X worse than the skull that adorned the cover "Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good". And to think that Mustaine was pissed about that cheap looking cover Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 9:19 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Black Death

This is too funny. That skull that guy is holding is 10X worse than the skull that adorned the cover "Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good". And to think that Mustaine was pissed about that cheap looking cover Laughing very hard

My brother and I heard this song by Black Death on a metal radio show years 'n' years ago (probably 1985 or so) ... thought it was terrible...

Anyway, the DJ didn't say anything about them being African-American, and we didn't think much the band anyway at the time, but a few months later my bro bought an issue of Hit Parader magazine (remember that?) and in their "new bands to watch" section was a blurb about this band with that photo. My brother was like, "Hey, remember that band Black Death? They really ARE black!" Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 9:35 pm

I don't listen to much of either, but I would say death metal. Especially when it comes to the non-melodic styles.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Black Death

My brother and I heard this song by Black Death on a metal radio show years 'n' years ago (probably 1985 or so) ... thought it was terrible...

Anyway, the DJ didn't say anything about them being African-American, and we didn't think much the band anyway at the time, but a few months later my bro bought an issue of Hit Parader magazine (remember that?) and in their "new bands to watch" section was a blurb about this band with that photo. My brother was like, "Hey, remember that band Black Death? They really ARE black!" Laughing very hard

Do you suppose at the 3:29 mark at a live show of this atrocious song, where the lead singer asks their small not so adoring fan base "Does it feel any better", they emphatically stated NO? And when he stated "Let's do it again" at the 3:35 mark, do you wonder whether everyone in the crowd simultaneously had an aneurysm? Holy sh!t was that bad. Can you imagine how bad these guys were ostracized within their own community?

Regarding Hit Parader, I can't tell you how many pictures I cut out of that magazine, so I could adorn my middle school/high school locker with metal imagery. I think that was the only time I actually liked going to my locker!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
James B. wrote:
i prefer "black" metal

Sound Barrier
black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Sound-barrier

Black Death

Body Count
black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Body_Count

Very Happy

I played a few shows back in my Sanctuary days with a band called Seventh Seal, they were really insane onstage. Also one of my favorite guitar plyers, Sean Silas.

Metal student
Metal student
Speedmetalfreak

Number of posts : 126

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 12:57 am

I have some Black Metal samples from those free cds that come with metal hammer mag.

As for death metal, my collection is limited to some bolt thrower and obituary, which i barely listen to.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 1:35 am

Neither for me. Can't stand the vocal stylings of either genre and Black Metal is fruitier than Flower Metal.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 5:43 am

That Black Death tune has riffing that sounds so much like one of the tunes of Overkill's Feel the Fire.
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 1:15 pm

I listen to both, but prefer BM over DM.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 1:54 pm

I like death metal better than black metal although I do like both. I guess it just depends on the style of the specific genres.

My favorite death metal bands I'd still have to say are Edge of Sanity and Grave.

My favorite black metal band is Dark Funeral.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Speedmetalfreak wrote:
I have some Black Metal samples from those free cds that come with metal hammer mag.

As for death metal, my collection is limited to some bolt thrower and obituary, which i barely listen to.

I have some death metal in a box somewhere...

Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Neither. Both genres can go to Hell have have their anuses ripped apart and their entrails chewed on by dead babies.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 4:36 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
In 2011, one of those bands that I really enjoyed was Decrepit Birth with their recent album Polarity which sounds like a mixture between Pestilence (circa Twisted Into Form) and Nile. Brutal, technical yet also very enjoyable.

Pestilence never released an album called Twisted Into Form, Forbidden did.

Polarity is a great album, though! Decrepit Birth gets better with every album they make, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 4:48 pm

Black Metal by far, although I'm using the term extremely loosely to include a really wide spectrum whereas Death always seems a bit samey to me. (this may be due to ignorance of the genre)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: black metal or death metal?   black metal or death metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

black metal or death metal?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: