Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any Darkthrone fans?

Go down 
+7
Leatherface
mlotek
mc666
arachnoplasma
Lurideath
Andy
Alex Dee Rokket
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Any Darkthrone fans? Empty
PostSubject: Any Darkthrone fans?   Any Darkthrone fans? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Been slowly getting into this band for the last couple of years. It definitely helps feed my appetite for raw, cold, grim sounding metal.

Their sound is not that far apart from Bathory's first 4 albums, if anything it continues and slightly embellishes Quorthon's earlier black metal style.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Any Darkthrone fans?   Any Darkthrone fans? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 5:48 pm

When I reach for black metal, it's more along the lines of Emperor, Dissection, Primordial, Woods of Ypres, Immortal, or new Enslaved. I like a select handful of Darkthrone albums though.

Soulside Journey (their death metal debut, genre hoppers!), Under a Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger (their magnum opus), and Panzerfaust are great albums. I also dig their new thrash/punk/black metal fusion stuff found on FOAD, The Cult is Alive, and Circle the Wagons. Circle is my favorite of the bunch and has a really cool album cover.

They also have the quintessential illegible black metal logo. It was designed by Tomas Lindberg I believe.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Any Darkthrone fans?   Any Darkthrone fans? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:04 pm

I like them a lot. The 1st 6 albums are awesome. When they flipped to this punkish feel I started disliking it. The last album I really liked was "Ravishing Grimness"!
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Any Darkthrone fans?   Any Darkthrone fans? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 7:10 pm

My collection is incomplete, but I like them. Under a Funeral Moon and Transilvanian Hunger are probably my favorites of the old raw black-metal stuff, and I also really enjoy their later punk/NWOBHM/speed/whatsit albums, with Circle the Wagons probably being my favorite of the new stuff. That's pretty much how I like my black-metal, either lo-fi, cold, raw and grimy, or with a punk or heavy metal edge, so I'm good with both eras.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Any Darkthrone fans?   Any Darkthrone fans? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 7:56 pm

i've liked every stage of their sound. from the death metal, to the primitive black, to the crust punk. it's all good.

mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Any Darkthrone fans?   Any Darkthrone fans? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 9:24 pm

All Darkthrone is good, including their early death metal days and newer punk influenced material.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Any Darkthrone fans?   Any Darkthrone fans? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 11:10 pm

There good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Any Darkthrone fans?   Any Darkthrone fans? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 11:15 pm

i like their black metal most of all, but its all enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Any Darkthrone fans?   Any Darkthrone fans? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 11:21 am

I agree that they always have been good. I have a dvd/cd of NOCTURNO CULTO for trade or sell THE MISANTHROPE. If anybody is interested, let me know.
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

PostSubject: Re: Any Darkthrone fans?   Any Darkthrone fans? Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 11:17 pm

I really like Darkthrone. I just bought on Amazon The Underground Resistance! Can't wait to hear it! Has anybody picked up that album yet?
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Any Darkthrone fans?   Any Darkthrone fans? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 12:00 am

choosemetal wrote:
I really like Darkthrone. I just bought on Amazon The Underground Resistance! Can't wait to hear it! Has anybody picked up that album yet?
I have it...It's very good, albeit short.

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Any Darkthrone fans?   Any Darkthrone fans? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 8:36 am

I like them. I remember when I first heard them I was really shocked...I had never heard anything like it. A buddy of mine worked at a cassette duplication plant (way back in like '93) and he got promo tapes of Darkthrone and My Dying Bride.

I did not know what to make of them at all. At the time, I was into Fear Not and Guardian and Darkthrone didn't do much for me aside from causing me to stare at my speakers completely puzzled. MDB wasn't as much of a shock since I had heard Paramaecium at the time.

Fast forward 20 years and, while I don't own any or listen to them all the time, I have a Darkthrone station on Pandora and I find myself really digging the raw vibes of their stuff from all eras.

PostSubject: Re: Any Darkthrone fans?   Any Darkthrone fans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Darkthrone fans?
Page 1 of 1