Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sepultura Chaos AD

Go down 
+19
manny
MetalFRO
Tur-Thalion
jstate
MoonChild
Eyesore
Leatherface
Speedmetalfreak
Troublezone
GrandNational
The_Jayroh
mc666
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
EmoElmo
Alex Dee Rokket
Temple of Blood
Stender
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 8:17 pm

Ive said some hateful sh!t about this album in the past but last month I put it on with a completely subjective attitude and I loved it. The lyrics are spot on, and even though the riffs are pretty simple throughout, the songs still rip pretty hard for the most part. Only one I cant get into really is the hunt..some weird take on punk..ehh not for me, even though punk is like what im all about.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 8:18 pm

I thought this was a big let down when it first came out. Couldn't hardly listen to it, and I used to love SEPULTURA.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 8:19 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I thought this was a big let down when it first came out. Couldn't hardly listen to it, and I used to love SEPULTURA.

Thats how I felt after listening to Arise and beneath the remains endlessly for awhile. I dunno, I can still appreciate this though too.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 8:26 pm

This was my 2nd Sepultura album. After Arise made me fall in love with the band, I pursued them further with this imo masterpiece album.

I don't care what the old school purists think because by their account the band should have quit right after Morbid Devastation or Schizophrenia - both album being good to decent but hardly an encompassing representation of the band's style and attitude.

Chaos AD imo is Sepultura are their zenith because it takes from whatever the band developed up to Arise and adds a much imo needed groove which for me at least brought Sepultura to where I expected them to arrive. Mixing thrash with tribal music influences.

I could listen to Chaos AD until the end of time and never get tired of it. It is in your face, the lyrics are fueled with anger against the corrupt establishment and all in all this is also a great album to work out to (which I do).

So let the haters continue hating - I don't care. I don't care whether anyone likes or hates the album too and that's something I have always adopted with music. I could careless if someone agrees with my musical tastes or thinks they are crap ... they should just mind their own business much like I mind my own.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 8:27 pm

I got hooked into this album just by watching HEADBANGER'S BALL thru our Black & White early eighties Television. It Was Fat, Slow, Heavy and Brutal, the "Territory" video was bad-ass, none sounded like it when it first came out, Probably they got sick of those Bands copying their signature style (ie. KORZUS, MORTIFER etc etc) Because nobody Fused Groove, Thrash And Death at that time. Still My favourite Sepultura album to date.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 8:42 pm

My first Sepultura album and I like it quite a bit. However, IMO Arise and Beneath The Remains are better albums (Schizophrenia is good but I prefer Chaos A.D.). I gave up on them after Roots because I didn't like the music and because (at the time) I took Max's side after the break up (though I never cared much for Soulfly).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 8:43 pm

I loved this record when it came out, probably played it more than any other that year. It's held up well, I jammed it awhile back and still love it.

Great songs, tight production, it seemed like a logical next step for them to take. I've never quite understood people that loved Arise but couldn't "get" this one.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 9:02 pm

I liked this album a lot when it was new, and still dig it now. Now, ROOTS, on the other hand, ugh. That's where I got off.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 9:07 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I liked this album a lot when it was new, and still dig it now. Now, ROOTS, on the other hand, ugh. That's where I got off.

I still believe ROOTS was a letdown, when Max departed and formed his own band, He made at least 2 Soulfly albums that sounded exactly like ROOTS, I was like WTF?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Max was kicked out of the band.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 9:26 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I still believe ROOTS was a letdown, when Max departed and formed his own band, He made at least 2 Soulfly albums that sounded exactly like ROOTS, I was like WTF?

Roots has it moments but it was a dramatic departure from Sepultura's original sound. I don't think it is anywhere near as bad as other think.

I think it was only logical for Sepultura to go in that direction because it either meant coming back with another Chaos AD, which is unlikely to have done well; or go for an independent label where they may have faded into obscurity with a thrashier album.

I don't even think Max was interested in pursuing another thrash style Sepultura album. I don't blame him either because I think the band reached the limits of what it could do as a thrash outfit by Arise, anything after would have only sounded watered down and lacking the right attitude (in a sense the way Cavalera Conspiracy sounds like now).

As for the first 2 Soulfly albums - I don't think they sound anything like Roots. Roots was both more experimental (in the tribal sense) and more metallic than either of the first 2 Soulfly albums. Those albums were more 'modern' sounding, keeping with the times (err.. the popular late 90s style of 'heavy music').

Maybe I have always had a soft spot for Max's songwriting but I don't mind the first 2 Soulfly albums. They are more 'world music' focused with a more stripped down feel than Roots. Whereas Roots had an heavy emphasis on the tribal elements mixed with again a more stripped down instrumental version of Chaos AD.
Back to top Go down

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 9:55 pm

^ I concur. To me Max WAS Sepultura, it was never the same after he left. I used to own the first 3 Soulfly albums and enjoyed them, I also saw them on their first tour and they put on a great show.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 10:19 pm

The reason "The Hunt" sound so much different is because it's a cover song.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 10:30 pm

it's not so bad, but it never grabbed me like their previous albums for whatever reason.

after Arise, i wasn't fired up about a Sep album until Against came out. i like the Green albums more than i like any of the Soulfly stuff.

Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 10:53 pm

Required Fields wrote:

Which band did the original?
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 11:09 pm

mc666 wrote:
it's not so bad, but it never grabbed me like their previous albums for whatever reason.

after Arise, i wasn't fired up about a Sep album until Against came out. i like the Green albums more than i like any of the Soulfly stuff.

I agree to an extent, I think the Green-fronted Sepultura released some quality material both with Igor and without him on the drums.

Against was a slight step back towards the thrashier days. It still had some world music influences but far more subtle than Roots. Against in some respects could easily have fit between Chaos AD and Roots as a sort of progression to an all out tribal-metal experiment.

The albums that followed Against were so-so. Sepulantion had a great title track but the rest is largely forgettable; Roorback - I don't remember anything about that album; and Dante was a step in the right direction again... I dunno about A-Lex and the new one... although I heard bits and pieces off both albums and I quite liked what I heard off Kairos.

Meanwhile, Soulfly for me has been getting progressively better since 3 - that album got me interested in Max Cavalera again as it was a bit less out-there and harkened back to the style of Chaos AD, at least there were strong shades of it. Slowly I found Soulfly moving more and more towards a heavier style, and with Omen I almost find that to be a fully fledged thrash album.. okay maybe a slight exaggeration but the old school Sepultura sound is more evident on there than on anything Sep/Max/Soulfly have done since at least Chaos AD.
Back to top Go down

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 11:47 pm

Stender wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

Which band did the original?

I think it was New Model Army
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 1:31 am

Stender wrote:
Ive said some hateful sh!t about this album in the past but last month I put it on with a completely subjective attitude and I loved it. The lyrics are spot on, and even though the riffs are pretty simple throughout, the songs still rip pretty hard for the most part. Only one I cant get into really is the hunt..some weird take on punk..ehh not for me, even though punk is like what im all about.

This song, Refuse/Resist, and Territory are the only songs on this album I truly like. The album is good, but I have a hard time listening from beginning to end. The third and fourth songs on this album bore me and it make me wanna listen to something else.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 2:04 am

I've always liked this album, second favorite after Beneath the Remains. The first 3 songs have always seemed like a trilogy of sorts to me. The only tunes I've never cared about are the instrumental and Godzilla tune, otherwise, it's a great record for 1993.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 2:08 am

Good album. Much better than any of the Green ones.
Back to top Go down
Speedmetalfreak
Metal student
Metal student
Speedmetalfreak

Number of posts : 126

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 2:25 am

Great, great album.

Still enjoy listening to it!
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 3:03 am

I like it. Never had a problem with it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 3:10 am

For me, Chaos A.D. is absolutely bad-ass. Could be because this album was my intro to Sepultura, I don't know. Plus I love 90s metal. Haha. But yeah, this album rips! Love it.

I also like Roots and the Soulfly albums, though some of the bouncier rap-metal kind of tunes are silly. The last few Soulfly albums have been insanely good, though. Never thought they'd get that fast and heavy.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 6:12 am

I love this album.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 6:24 am

Chaos AD is an album I've grown to love over time. Never hated it or anything, just took some time to fully get into it. Beneath The Remains will always be my favorite.

I also have to say I like the new one Kairos quite a bit too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sepultura Chaos AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura Chaos AD   Sepultura Chaos AD Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sepultura Chaos AD
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next