Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Paypal Being Sleazy?

Go down 
+11
Thrasher73
mlotek
DeathCult
exact33
nevermore
A Handful of Wayne
Vexer6
ultmetal
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Empty
PostSubject: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 3:19 pm

Anyone notice that they cannot make Instant Transfer payments through Paypal lately? I noticed it the other day, but figured it was a restriction put in place by the seller. An odd restriction, of course, but whatever.

Today I made another payment through Paypal, and again I couldn't select Instant Transfer. My options were credit card and e-payment. So I checked their forums and it appears this has happened to a lot of people. General consensus is that Paypal is trying to force people to make e-payments, that way they get the interest on the money while they hold it.

I've been using Paypal since 2000 and have never had any issues, but this is shady stuff. I don't like using my credit card, but I also don't like waiting a week just for funds to clear, funds that I know I have, you know. And I'm sure the sellers don't want to wait either.

Irritating.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 4:11 pm

It's been almost a month since I used my Paypal account, but I didn't notice anything different when I did, business as usual. Is this a recent developement?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Yeah, I noticed it about a week or two ago. No problems before then.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 4:33 pm

I haven't noticed any issues and used it a couple days ago
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 4:34 pm

I haven't had any problems with my account yet, but now I'll be watching out for that.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:06 pm

I haven't used Paypal for a few months, so I didn't notice anything unusual. Anyways it's not really an issue for me since I use my debit card for all my Paypal transactions anyways.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Could be a random thing, you know. They'd make tons of cash by just doing this to a small fraction of their users.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:31 pm

Yea I used mine a few times in the last couple of weeks and everything seemed fine.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:44 pm

I think it's just Eyesore. They're tracking all his music purchases and figure they can make a mint if they skim a little off the top. Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  929854

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Probably! Haha.

By the way, your avatar is reminding me of that old PC game The 7th Guest. Anyone remember that? It was awesome. Had a sequel called The 11th Hour.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:28 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I haven't noticed any issues and used it a couple days ago

Same here.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:35 pm

wow. It doesnt surprise me if they are - after all they are an evilbay company...

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:47 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Could be a random thing, you know. They'd make tons of cash by just doing this to a small fraction of their users.

Nah, I've always found paypal to be above the board. I have heard that some of the others like Alert Pay are a scam
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 9:30 pm

I noticed this last week myself. I thought it was odd, but just figured something was wrong with the system that particular day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 4:29 am

Last year, they changed my account to E-transfer payments, and demanded further info of my bank account or a credit card to make instant payments.

I could not see the reason why they stopped, and now this is happening to others, that means they still would collect interest.

Besides practising usury, now they are easily allowing buyers to get back their money, even when sellers provide tracking info.

One person I know that Paypal did this too, is considering calling the RCMP since the transaction took across the border which makes it an international crime/fraud.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 9:54 am

I've used mine a couple of times this week and havent had any problems.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Used mine yesterday and didn't notice anything different.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 6:07 pm

My guess is that this happens only with specific banks, whichever bank you have setup with Paypal. They have issues getting money from a specific bank, so they put in a waiting period.

Something like that seems to make the most sense since it isn't happening to all users.

Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 11:32 am

Quote :
Last year, they changed my account to E-transfer payments, and demanded further info of my bank account

They did this to me with no warning or notice and I only found out after I had won an item on ebay. Which I could then only pay for by providing them the banking info they wanted. Forget that. Really shady in my book. Fortunately the seller was cool about it and I paid up off site.

You would think they would want to keep customers like me who were always using ebay (weekly transactions/perfect feedback) to continue. Guess running those users off is part of some successful plan they've implemented. Haven't used ebay since.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 1:27 pm

jstate wrote:
You would think they would want to keep customers like me who were always using ebay (weekly transactions/perfect feedback) to continue. Guess running those users off is part of some successful plan they've implemented. Haven't used ebay since.

that is ebays game plan, which is why i dont use them anymore.

Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 11:12 am

Not a problem here at all.

Wargo
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 3:02 pm

me neither. I just used it yesterday and no problems.

snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Paypal and eBay are both rip off companies who I avoid whenever possible. eBay are trying to force casual sellers off in favour of businesses. It's the reason why they give discounts to powersellers and the more recent basket feature to make it more like an online store. The fees they both charge extortionate and make selling on eBay a last resort for me. I wouldn't be suprised at anything they do. For example, it takes days to withdraw your balance from your Paypal account. Handily for them it means the cash stays in their account for a few extra days.

I also read that Paypal don't guarantee any balances (unlike banks), so if they go bust, you'll lose everything in your Paypal account. I always withdraw any Paypal balance I have because of this, luckily they don't charge you to withdraw anymore.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Paypal Being Sleazy?    Is Paypal Being Sleazy?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Paypal Being Sleazy?
Page 1 of 1