Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Soul Embraced/Evanescence

Go down 
+9
mc666
tohostudios
exact33
kmorg
rawr!
metalhead777
GrandNational
Eyesore
DallasBlack
13 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Soul Embraced/Evanescence Empty
PostSubject: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 12:44 pm

While working on transfering music from my main computer to my labtop, I came across a compilation with Soul Embraced and a song 'My Tourniquet' that I had forgotten about. I remembered SE's Rocky Gray was in Evanescence and that they too had a song by the same name. I played Soul Embraced's song and sure enough it was the exact same song, just different band, genre/style, and sex of the vocalist:

Obviously Toho will hate the origional version but haters of goth metal more than likely go for it (unless they hate death vocals).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Yup. I dig both versions.

I've probably mentioned this before, but Rocky used to work at Camelot Music at the McCain Mall in N. Little Rock. I used to go in there all the time and we'd talk tunes, you know. At the time, he was in Shredded Corpse and Fleshgrinder. Just local death metal acts.

Then one day he tells me he's joined Living Sacrifice, which was cool, you know. Eventually I left Little Rock for Korea and England. Then he turns up in Evanescence. Kinda cool.

That whole small world thing, you know.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 3:18 pm

I had that original pressing of the SE album. I still dig that tune, but the other songs seem to flow better overall. The first time I heard the Evanescence version was at a Tower Records listening station when that album was brand new. Kinda sounded weird then, I guess it's a decent cover for what's it's worth, not my thing though.

Last edited by GrandNational on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 4:35 pm

I honestly think the evanesence version ruined that song. But,thats just me.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 5:27 pm

metalhead777 wrote:
I honestly think the evanesence version ruined that song. But,thats just me.

You're not the only one as there are plenty of people here who don't like modern or goth metal (and that songs a mix of both).
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 3:18 am

its always irritated me when kiddies around here were gaga over the evanescence version and had no clue it was essentially a cover. stuff before immune definitely sounds better than anything evanescence ever put out, id say.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 5:18 am

Never knew this, but it makes sense though! I used to love Evanescense's version, but it is so overplayed here, it's not even funny! My 12 year old daughter digs it! Very Happy

Anyone know what the morse code beeping in the background of Evanescence version means?

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23270

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 7:13 pm

I like the first SE album. They never really were able to recapture that feeling subsequently.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 7:46 pm

I think the Evanescence version is way better.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 7:48 pm

Eyesore wrote:

At least I hear a vocal melody in that version. DB was right; I'd never even recognize the SE version as being the same song. Gawd I hate growly vokills.

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Eyesore wrote:

x2

I don't have a problem with Evanescence, they are good at what they do.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 8:51 pm

exact33 wrote:
I like the first SE album. They never really were able to recapture that feeling subsequently.
Same thoughts here. Although I find the whole odd nu/death metal mix a thing I come back to listen to allot when in the mood for it.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 9:33 pm

metalhead777 wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Same thoughts here. Although I find the whole odd nu/death metal mix a thing I come back to listen to allot when in the mood for it.

Yes, This Is My Blood is a good album. Luckily I never heard the follow-up, I've never heard anything good about it. The last one they had wasn't too bad but lacked the staying power of the first album.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 9:33 pm

nothing wrong with either version to my ears.

exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 9:55 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
metalhead777 wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Yes, This Is My Blood is a good album. Luckily I never heard the follow-up, I've never heard anything good about it. The last one they had wasn't too bad but lacked the staying power of the first album.

I thought Fleshless was their best.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 9:55 pm

I don't really find any of their albums to be so much better than any others. They're consistently good. Nothing amazing, just good.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 10:09 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I don't really find any of their albums to be so much better than any others. They're consistently good. Nothing amazing, just good.

Fleshless was good. The others I didnt care for much...

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 10:53 pm

exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Sorry, thought This Is My Blood was the debut. So you only like the demo, not the official releases.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 10:54 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Sorry, thought This Is My Blood was the debut. So you only like the demo, not the official releases.

Fleshless was an official release.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 10:57 pm

exact33 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Fleshless was an official release.

I stand corrected (that's what I get for using Ult's website as a reference Razz )but it was still an EP and not a full album.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 11:51 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
metalhead777 wrote:
exact33 wrote:

"Immune" wasn't nearly as good as "This Is My Blood", but it's a solid metalcore album in its own right. And I like both versions of the song in the OP Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:03 am

Both version sound terrible to these ears, but that's just me. Razz

Interesting to hear how different each version sounds though. If I wasn't told, I doubt that I would have noticed that they're the same song.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 2:28 pm

So which version was first? Was it Evanescence song or SE? Did Rocky write it?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 2:34 pm

T-Roy wrote:
So which version was first? Was it Evanescence song or SE? Did Rocky write it?
Soul Embraced did it first.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 11:34 pm

Both versions are good, but I just love the heaviness of the SE version headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soul Embraced/Evanescence   Soul Embraced/Evanescence Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Soul Embraced/Evanescence
Page 1 of 1