Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?

Go down 
+16
Eyesore
kmorg
chewie
DeathCult
jstate
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
ultmetal
manny
Troublezone
thejokeriv
Spiner202
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
exact33
Alex Dee Rokket
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 12:41 pm

exact33 wrote:
kmorg wrote:

I really liked the Queensrÿche reissues where they added all/most b-sides as bonuses. And the songs where from the same era of the original album.

I do too but why re-release Empire with the bonus tracks and then a few years later release it again? I thought the QR remasters, like the Priest ones, were nice. Its just after one re-release dont keep re-re-releasing again and again - kinda like Bride.

I have to agree with this, it is completely out of hand when some albums get reissued over and over. The Who's Live at Leeds has been reissued at least 4 times, as huge as a fan I am, that to me is completely smacks of greed, yes it was nice to have extra tracks on it the first time around, and it was kind of cool to add the entire Tommy performance on the reissue, but then they reissue it again and add another live performance, why not release that as its own stand only release?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 12:46 pm

manny wrote:
exact33 wrote:
kmorg wrote:

I really liked the Queensrÿche reissues where they added all/most b-sides as bonuses. And the songs where from the same era of the original album.

I do too but why re-release Empire with the bonus tracks and then a few years later release it again? I thought the QR remasters, like the Priest ones, were nice. Its just after one re-release dont keep re-re-releasing again and again - kinda like Bride.

I have to agree with this, it is completely out of hand when some albums get reissued over and over. The Who's Live at Leeds has been reissued at least 4 times, as huge as a fan I am, that to me is completely smacks of greed, yes it was nice to have extra tracks on it the first time around, and it was kind of cool to add the entire Tommy performance on the reissue, but then they reissue it again and add another live performance, why not release that as its own stand only release?

Half the time, I wonder if it is to get to or add another platinum status to an album - i.e. 50k away, add some extra tracks to get the die hards to buy it
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 9:00 pm

I think the worst offender is Helloween. All of the different editions of Gambling with the Devil was beyond silly.

stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Special editions are a means to make up a little revenue that is lost due to illegal downloading.

Well, the truth is, 99.9% of illegal downloaders would not buy any product even if you offer it to them for $1.00, so it has the same merit as calling corporations a job creators Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 9:18 pm

The special edition of Twisted Sister's Under The Blade is well worth it though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 10:18 pm

stormspell wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Special editions are a means to make up a little revenue that is lost due to illegal downloading.

Well, the truth is, 99.9% of illegal downloaders would not buy any product even if you offer it to them for $1.00, so it has the same merit as calling corporations a job creators Wink
Now, of course. It's a culture or arrogance these days.
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 10:24 pm

manny wrote:
I personally like CD/DVD combos, if they came with the original release of the CD, I am not going to go back and rebuy the same CD just get the 'bonus' DVD.

My main issue with the bonus DVD it is usually only about 30-45 minutes long, it mostly interviews and not enough of music.

I collect concert DVD's and watch them all the time, so I do enjoy them, but most DVD's included as a bonus, are not worth revisting most of the time.

I just think they should release the DVDs by themselves, but I have re-purchased a couple of CDs in the past just for the CD/DVD combo. It was worth it in those cases, though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I don't mind special editions if they come out at the same time as the regular release. However, I understand why special editions are often released later.

Roadrunner does a good job of making multiple versions available at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2