Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?

Go down 
+16
Eyesore
kmorg
chewie
DeathCult
jstate
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
ultmetal
manny
Troublezone
thejokeriv
Spiner202
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
exact33
Alex Dee Rokket
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Empty
PostSubject: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:09 am

With so many new releases coming out in multiple different special edition packs, for me it feels like I can never really purchase the complete album.

Of course all editions will come with the main songs, but you may end up missing out on a few bonus tracks if you're not careful enough or maybe even not lucky enough to find the 'super ultra special edition' of the latest album by . Furthermore, record companies are now forcing vinyl onto listeners and while for a long time in the CD-exclusive era vinyl was just a slight collector distraction with nothing more than bigger artwork, it seems nowadays you are likely to find more bonus tracks on the vinyl editions than on the CD editions.

For me it is difficult to break out of the habit of buying CDs. I know a lot of metal / rock fans love vinyl - and there is also an argument that it sounds better (not going there) but for me, vinyl is completely impractical. I collect the CDs and I convert them into lossless files which then enables me to put them on various other devices etc. for my listening pleasure. Vinyl for me doesn't offer that same versatility and therefore it is not really a format of choice.

I can see the collector value in it and I do think they are quite cool, at least for the full artwork, picture disc and booklet. It does feel like a more 'complete' experience yet also a far more expensive one. One vinyl album costs about as much as 3 - 4 CDs albums; good equipment also comes at a cost; and ripping is not as fast or as easy as it is with CDs.

I won't rush to buy vinyl albums any time soon unless I really end up starting to miss out on bonus tracks and the like.

This is just my opinion so if you like vinyl that's great but for me it simply doesn't fit in with my listening habits.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 8:19 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
With so many new releases coming out in multiple different special edition packs, for me it feels like I can never really purchase the complete album.

I totally agree. I hate this special version stuff. Just release the album and put the tracks on it you think are good.

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 8:29 am

exact33 wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

I totally agree. I hate this special version stuff. Just release the album and put the tracks on it you think are good.

I agree 100%. If you have extra stuff, release an EP or save it for the box set. This thing of releasing the same album 6 months later with 5 extra songs and a DVD, just release a DVD/EP package...NOT the whole album again...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 8:32 am

If it's a re-release of a classic oldie I have no problems with it. What irritates me is when a band comes out with a new album, then six months later they re-release it again as a "special edition" with a bunch of extras.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Spiner202
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 283

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 8:43 am

Normally, I've never cared about bonus tracks, but the situation on the new Alice Cooper album is ridiculous. Among the various versions, there are the following studio tracks: "We Gotta Get Outta This Place" (cover), "Under the Bed", "A Bad Situation", and "Flatline". On top of those, there are 3 live tracks from the Download festival, "Poison", "No More Mr. Nice Guy", and "The Black Widow".

To get everything, you have to buy the vinyl version, the iTunes version, and at least 2 CD versions. You would think that them making a huge fan pack collection would involve all of the bonus tracks, but somehow it only has two. I bought a special edition of it and got more tracks than on the fan pack edition. Also, when these versions are advertised, the word "exclusive" seems to get confused as I remember them calling "Under the Bed" an exclusive to the fan pack.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 8:46 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
If it's a re-release of a classic oldie I have no problems with it. What irritates me is when a band comes out with a new album, then six months later they re-release it again as a "special edition" with a bunch of extras.

I am with you on that one!!!!!!!! I am sure that this practice has jumped up the number of people who go and download illegally - a big FU to the record companies for charging the same price on a CD for a couple extra tracks.

What bugs me too is the different editions with different "bonus tracks" - i.e. the latest Alice Cooper - that was over the top for releases!!!!! Release the SAME album worldwide!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 8:47 am

Instead of wasting our time and money, all bonus tracks and songs should be included with the original release.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:08 am

Troublezone wrote:
Instead of wasting our time and money, all bonus tracks and songs should be included with the original release.

"Bonus Tracks", strictly by name, are not part of the album itself...they're extra songs that for some reason someone felt did not fit or belong on the album...so I say leave them off...release an EP later or save them for a box set or rarities collection...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:17 am

I hate all these special editions they reissues because I have already purchased the original album, classic album or newer release, and I do not want to rebuy it just to get the bonus tracks.

I may one day rebuy Megadeth's Peace Sells 25th anniversy edition and Def Leppard's Pyromania special edition, simply because I want to live disc on them, but that is maybe, and wish they would release these vintage concerts as their own releases.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:39 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

+1 My thoughts exactly.

Exodus' "Tempo of the Damned" is a good example. I purchased the CD as a new release. Six months later they re-released it as a 2-disc set with a live album as a bonus disc.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:43 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

I agree 100%. If you have extra stuff, release an EP or save it for the box set. This thing of releasing the same album 6 months later with 5 extra songs and a DVD, just release a DVD/EP package...NOT the whole album again...

I agree with this^^^^^

I also feel the same way about vinyl as Alex Dee Rockket. The idea sounds cool but it's just not practical. CDs are my music media of choice. If I had great sums of money to blow on music then I'd become a vinyl collector but until then I will stick with CDs.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:57 am

Yes, the bonus/special editions are getting out of hand.

Once again, it's the record companies ass-backwards thinking that if you release stuff on different formats, and make it "exclusive", fans will blindly buy it all up, when all it really does is encourages more illegal downloads.

I'm getting tired of the cd/dvd combos too. You know how many I've purchased over the last few years and I've maybe watched 1 or 2 of the dvds. Such a waste.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:19 am

I actually hold off on buying things fully expecting a special edition to come out down the line. I figure I wait for the special edition or in time I'll probably find the original cheaper anyway. So for myself the record company cash grab backfires.

I do like the trend with vinyl to include a download of the album. Makes me more likely to go the vinyl route in the future.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:31 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I'm getting tired of the cd/dvd combos too. You know how many I've purchased over the last few years and I've maybe watched 1 or 2 of the dvds. Such a waste.

Ditto. I've got quite a few CD/DVD combos (Iron Maiden's AMOLAD, Priest's ANGEL OF RETRIBUTION and Kiss' SONIC BOOM, just off the top of my head), and I've watched the DVD's that came with each one only once. Once.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:38 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Ditto. I've got quite a few CD/DVD combos (Iron Maiden's AMOLAD, Priest's ANGEL OF RETRIBUTION and Kiss' SONIC BOOM, just off the top of my head), and I've watched the DVD's that came with each one only once. Once.

I'm with you guys on both these fronts. The AC album is a great example, there's what, 6 different editions? Holy smurf poo. The DVD's are cool if they're good, that's the only way I watch them over and over again.

Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 11:45 am

jstate wrote:
I actually hold off on buying things fully expecting a special edition to come out down the line. I figure I wait for the special edition or in time I'll probably find the original cheaper anyway. So for myself the record company cash grab backfires.

I do like the trend with vinyl to include a download of the album. Makes me more likely to go the vinyl route in the future.

All The Sword albums came with these so they were easy to put on cd or any other mobile player. I wish more did that!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 1:13 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

+1 My thoughts exactly.

Exodus' "Tempo of the Damned" is a good example. I purchased the CD as a new release. Six months later they re-released it as a 2-disc set with a live album as a bonus disc.

and how many different versions of Queensryche 'Empire' are there? I dislike the special editions but i really detest the edition more.

Release a cd with all the odds and ends tracks together. It really would make a nice product.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 3:18 pm

I used to love special edition, with bonus tracks. These days I'm leaning more and more towards hating them. Seldom do the bonus tracks add anything to the original album, and sometimes they are just live versions of songs already on there. The Judas Priest remasters doesn't even include correct info on the bonus tracks in some cases. And they are not from the correct era of the album they are on.

I really liked the Queensrÿche reissues where they added all/most b-sides as bonuses. And the songs where from the same era of the original album.

The CD/DVD combos are worthless. I have several I've never even watched.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 3:28 pm

I personally like CD/DVD combos, if they came with the original release of the CD, I am not going to go back and rebuy the same CD just get the 'bonus' DVD.

My main issue with the bonus DVD it is usually only about 30-45 minutes long, it mostly interviews and not enough of music.

I collect concert DVD's and watch them all the time, so I do enjoy them, but most DVD's included as a bonus, are not worth revisting most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 5:37 pm

I don't mind special editions if they come out at the same time as the regular release. However, I understand why special editions are often released later.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:26 pm

I think the special editions are taking advantage of the real fans of the bands. If you are a passing fan the regular edition is fine and it is usually the cheaper or on sale ( on release week) version, then there are the different editions that appeal to the real fans but they are usually more expensive then the regular edition, all so we can get a bonus track or two and maybe a crappy dvd out of the deal. And I really hate the 6 month later editions, the fans get to buy the album twice and it seems like when the band does this is tends to have more quality to the re-release so the fan HAS to get it. Oh and by the way it will cost more than the regular release did. Ridiculous I hate it probably not the bands choosing to do this it is probably record company ideas.....at least I hope it is.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:34 pm

I actually buy more vinyl (there are you happy toho) than cds nowdays! Unless it is a special cd vinyl is what I'm buying!

Wargod
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:51 am

Special editions are a means to make up a little revenue that is lost due to illegal downloading.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:23 am

Eyesore wrote:
Special editions are a means to make up a little revenue that is lost due to illegal downloading.

Ironically it has the exact opposite affect on me!

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:32 am

kmorg wrote:

I really liked the Queensrÿche reissues where they added all/most b-sides as bonuses. And the songs where from the same era of the original album.

I do too but why re-release Empire with the bonus tracks and then a few years later release it again? I thought the QR remasters, like the Priest ones, were nice. Its just after one re-release dont keep re-re-releasing again and again - kinda like Bride.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?   Special editions of albums: getting out of hand? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Special editions of albums: getting out of hand?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next