Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene

Go down 
+17
DallasBlack
holydiver97595
Mglaffas81
GrandNational
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
manny
thejokeriv
exact33
tohostudios
Troublezone
arachnoplasma
chewie
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 8:22 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Mother Nature is apparently not done f**king with my life yet. We've been having heavy rain for the past 18 hours or so and my cellar is taking on water again. Nowhere near as much as LAST weekend, thankfully, just a couple of inches' worth, but damn, Universe, go pick on somebody else for a while, for cryin' out loud....

i hear ya. It was like the hurricane outside yesterday afternoon and then again this morning. I am really tired of rain.

Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 8:36 am

exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Mother Nature is apparently not done f**king with my life yet. We've been having heavy rain for the past 18 hours or so and my cellar is taking on water again. Nowhere near as much as LAST weekend, thankfully, just a couple of inches' worth, but damn, Universe, go pick on somebody else for a while, for cryin' out loud....

i hear ya. It was like the hurricane outside yesterday afternoon and then again this morning. I am really tired of rain.

I live in Denmark - so don't complain about rain! Laughing

Now, I am glad that absolutely NOTHING happens here - it's probably the safest place to live in the world
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 8:36 am

After an all night thunder/lightning/heavy rain storm on Wednesday night, we woke up yesterday AM to yet another basement flood. Ankle deep this time. Thankfully my neighbor came over with his electric pump and we were able to get it out of there in fairly short order.

We came to the conclusion that the pipe that my sump pump flows into, which is supposed to take the water out of the house and to the storm drain at the end of my street, is clogged or blocked so as it's trying to get rid of all the rain water that's been coming in, it's been backing up and flowing back into the cellar. So we re-routed the drain hose from my sump pump (through a hole in the wall for a dryer vent which is no longer needed, as the dryer is now on the ground floor) and ran a hose from that down to the edge of my property to the street. It ain't pretty but at least it'll keep the water out of the house until a more permanent solution can be found.

Big ups to my neighbor for taking a chunk out of his morning to help me out!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 8:41 am

Just found out that a girl I went to high school with lost a child in the floods (she lives near by in VA). I can't think of anything worse than losing a child
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 9:05 am

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=41&sid=2535693
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 9:43 am

that is horrible joker. I agree.

FF - glad you have a temporary solution. My old house the basement had problems in the basement so we had the sump pit enlarged and a pourous pipe installed so the water that was coming up from underneath the pad flowed into there and then out.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 9:53 am

exact33 wrote:

FF - glad you have a temporary solution. My old house the basement had problems in the basement so we had the sump pit enlarged and a pourous pipe installed so the water that was coming up from underneath the pad flowed into there and then out.

Yeah, my neighbor and I were talkin' yesterday and we're probably gonna end up doing something similar. For right now, though, this'll do.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 9:56 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Yeah, my neighbor and I were talkin' yesterday and we're probably gonna end up doing something similar. For right now, though, this'll do.

the water table in my area is pretty high even without the rain so all this water has made life interesting to say the least.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 9:59 am

exact33 wrote:

the water table in my area is pretty high even without the rain so all this water has made life interesting to say the least.

Us, too. I've lived in that house since '99 and when it rained heavy, you could count on seeing some wetness on the basement floor, i.e. a couple of puddles here and there, but this past year it's been off the charts, which is why we believe that the outflow pipe for our sump pump has gotten clogged/blocked. Wouldnt' surprise me, the damn pipe looks like it's been there since the house was built in the 50s.

Unfortunately just digging it up and replacing it is probably not an option, since the pipe appears to go under my next door neighbor's property on its way to the storm drain on the corner and somehow I doubt they'd be too happy about me tearing up their back yard trying to find it...

On a somewhat related note, today's paper sez that North Jersey has had fourteenn inches of rain in the past two weeks. That's the equivalent of four months' worth of rain. Yikes.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 10:18 am

exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
exact33 wrote:

You all having any issues? I'm pretty well isolated from any flooding and right at the foot hills of the Blue Ridge mountains (the town I live in is called Round Hill). But, drive to a lower elevation like Leesburg (where I go shopping. movies, etc) and they are getting some flooding
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 10:23 am

Thankfully I have not had any flodding issues, however we did have some leakage in the front bay window and above the door. We've had those leaks once or twice before, so I was pretty much expecting it this time round.

It only happens when the rain is pounding straight towards the front of the house. It hits a certain angle and seeps in through the capping & bricks. My neighbor has the exact same problem. Just the way the homes were built I guess.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 10:24 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Us, too. I've lived in that house since '99 and when it rained heavy, you could count on seeing some wetness on the basement floor, i.e. a couple of puddles here and there, but this past year it's been off the charts, which is why we believe that the outflow pipe for our sump pump has gotten clogged/blocked. Wouldnt' surprise me, the damn pipe looks like it's been there since the house was built in the 50s.

Unfortunately just digging it up and replacing it is probably not an option, since the pipe appears to go under my next door neighbor's property on its way to the storm drain on the corner and somehow I doubt they'd be too happy about me tearing up their back yard trying to find it...

On a somewhat related note, today's paper sez that North Jersey has had fourteenn inches of rain in the past two weeks. That's the equivalent of four months' worth of rain. Yikes.

Ugh... too much rain!!!! Hmmm..... you might have to run a pipe through the old vent and re-route it though your yard and not touch the other one.....

I got lucky - when we first moved into this house, the sump pump battery started going ape $hit.... in the middle of night setting off the alarm that something was wrong with the battery (picture me at 3AM trying to disconnect the battery, turn of the sump pump so me and the kids could sleep!). I was lucky since the house was new construction, called the builder the next AM and they had the plumber out right away. They guy that did the initial install FUBAR'd it, which caused mud to build up in the pump, making it run all the time then eventually burn out. So, got a new sump pump installed correctly.....

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 10:25 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Thankfully I have not had any flodding issues, however we did have some leakage in the front bay window and above the door. We've had those leaks once or twice before, so I was pretty much expecting it this time round.

It only happens when the rain is pounding straight towards the front of the house. It hits a certain angle and seeps in through the capping & bricks. My neighbor has the exact same problem. Just the way the homes were built I guess.

Most people I know have issues with bay windows - something in the design of the things.....

Speaking of which, I better go check mine!!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 10:27 am

Quote :
Ugh... too much rain!!!! Hmmm..... you might have to run a pipe through the old vent and re-route it though your yard and not touch the other one.....

Yeah, what we're probably gonna do is put in a whole new pipe, probably PVC, in a new trench leading out to the road in front of my house (rather than thru my neighbor's property, haha). Then I dunno, I guess wait for a dry spell in the summer time, mix up a batch of concrete and drop it into the old outflow pipe to cap it off. Haven't figured that part out yet.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 10:30 am

The aluminum capping doesn't sit completely flush with the bricks, so unless it's properly sealed with caulk or something similiar, it's gonna leak. Thankfully for us, it's a rare occurance. In the almost 8 years I've been in my house, it's only happened twice. And both times it was monsoon conditions.

The night of the hurricane, I was sitting on the couch watching tv just waiting for that first drip. As soon as I heard/felt it, I said "Ok, here it comes". I got the bucket, positioned it appropriatley and went to bed.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 10:35 am

^^ MG, my parents' house has a bay window in front and I remember it leaking whenever we had heavy rains when I lived there too. My Dad used to caulk those damn things every Spring like clockwork, yet every time we had a major storm, water would still sneak in somewhere. Drove him crazy. Haha.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 11:56 am

This is less than a mile from by Brother's place:

Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 22550410
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 12:26 pm

There are also 2 sink-holes in my neighborhood, one big and one small. I don't know that the hurricane was a direct effect on them, but I sure it didn't help. The big one is right on the street in front of a guy's driveway. A good 12-15 feet in diameter. Big enough to sink a car I'd guess.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 12:38 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

wow!

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 1:29 pm

exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

wow!

I know!!!! I am a full time telecommuter now, but the office used to be 1/2 a mile from that!!!! I am really happy I work from home!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Update on my vehicular situation: The Nissan Cube is gone but I'm staying in the Nissan family. Peep the new ride, just picked it up about an hour ago.

Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 309696_2225057499929_1052500800_2682679_441866801_n

That's a 2005 Nissan Frontier. Yup, my transformation into an utter redneck is finally complete. I've been wearing ball caps and chewing tobacco for years, now I own a pickup truck. Yeeeeeehaw! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 6:03 pm

Nice truck. You could haul a bear in that.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 6:33 pm

now your going places! I love my truck (a 2007 Dodge Dakota quad)!

Your not yet a redneck - you need a gunrack for that truck!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 6:48 pm

exact33 wrote:

And either a rebel flag license plate or in the rear window.

Trust me, I spent 8 years in Tennessee; I know rednecks.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 6:52 pm

tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:

And either a rebel flag license plate or in the rear window.

Trust me, I spent 8 years in Tennessee; I know rednecks.

dont forget the pool in the truckbed. I live in the Red Neck part of Maryland...

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene   Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Me, Myself and Hurricane Irene
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next