Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interesting article on Heavy Metal

Go down 
+3
Temple of Blood
kmorg
Witchfinder
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Interesting article on Heavy Metal Empty
PostSubject: Interesting article on Heavy Metal   Interesting article on Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 12:54 pm

Ran across this today: http://thephoenix.com/Boston/music/125778-why-there-wont-ever-be-another-big-four-and-w/

Other than the fact that the author thinks Judas Priest were part of the NWOBHM and that Holy Grail is a thrash band, I thought it was an interesting article.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on Heavy Metal   Interesting article on Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 2:07 pm

I think the author is DEAD wrong. He really has no clue. Music sales does no longer relfect actual sales, as purchased downloads is the only measured sale. Forget CD's and vinyl. And the metal fans buy physical albums, not downloads!

I think metal is stronger than in 20 years or so! It's featured way more in f.ex. movies, and as cultural references in general. There are more tours, bigger tours and more people going to concerts. More new bands, more albums released.

Sure, it will never be the '80's again, but who cares? As long as it is still a vital genre, speweing out great new music all the time, than It's all good.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on Heavy Metal   Interesting article on Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 2:11 pm

Well, the title is at least right. There will never be another Big 4.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on Heavy Metal   Interesting article on Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Well, the title is at least right. There will never be another Big 4.

and that is the only thing the writer got right in this article.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on Heavy Metal   Interesting article on Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 3:47 pm

The author seems to have a superficial knowledge of the genre because he gets all sorts of basic things wrong. I agree with him about Metal having fractured into thousands of sub-genres with bands packed into each niche and I also agree that there are more high quality releases than even a decade ago. Truly we are living in a golden age for Metal. I just don't think that album sales, chart positions or touring are very relevant any more.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on Heavy Metal   Interesting article on Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 9:19 pm

This internet is to blame for this..... People think that just because they can read about something automaticily means they know something about it.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on Heavy Metal   Interesting article on Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 1:11 am

I don't bother reading those articles...
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on Heavy Metal   Interesting article on Heavy Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 2:10 am

I always see a packed house when I go to Atlanta for shows. No clue what makes them say the things they say.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on Heavy Metal   Interesting article on Heavy Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting article on Heavy Metal
Page 1 of 1