Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?

Go down 
+2
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Empty
PostSubject: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? 51yk0Tr8F5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_

Anyone pick up this autobiography? My wife purchased a copy for me as a gift and gave it to me last night. I haven't read it yet, but am looking forward to reading it.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 4:15 pm

Borrowed it from the library and finished reading it last night (because it's due back tomorrow, haha)... as I said in another thread, some bits were entertaining, others were a hard slog. I had more fun reading Steven's stories about his youth and the formation of the band and less when it got into the endless drugs, rehab, drugs, rehab, more drugs and more rehab cycle. By the time you're done with the book you will feel like you have a degree in pharmacology (sp?).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 4:17 pm

I've been reading it off and on for about a month now. Almost done. Check out the 2nd page of the Ace Frehley thread for my thoughts on it...

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/t16140p25-ace-frehley-s-biography-no-regrets-out-in-november#437867

And here too...

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/t8805p625-what-book-are-you-currently-reading

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Borrowed it from the library and finished reading it last night (because it's due back tomorrow, haha)... as I said in another thread, some bits were entertaining, others were a hard slog. I had more fun reading Steven's stories about his youth and the formation of the band and less when it got into the endless drugs, rehab, drugs, rehab, more drugs and more rehab cycle. By the time you're done with the book you will feel like you have a degree in pharmacology (sp?).

That's what I thought about Joey Kramer's book as well. I really enjoyed the insight into recording and the early years of the band, but in later chapters when it was all rehab, psychologists, more rehab, it got a little boring. Still enjoyed it.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 4:56 pm

Joey's book got too whiney for me. "Oh woe is me. I have fame and fortune but my daddy didn't love me abnd I'm depressed. WAAAAAAAA!!"

At least Steven's is better in that regard. He doesn't make excuses for what he's done or has achieved. It is what it is, rock star excess.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 5:03 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Joey's book got too whiney for me. "Oh woe is me. I have fame and fortune but my daddy didn't love me abnd I'm depressed. WAAAAAAAA!!"

At least Steven's is better in that regard. He doesn't make excuses for what he's done or has achieved. It is what it is, rock star excess.

Joey's book was one long bitchfest about his daddy issues, jealously of Steven Tyler and b.s psycho babble, not very compelling read.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 9:31 pm

Chapter one: unremarkable childhood
Chapters 2-54: DRUGS
Chapter 55: American Idol
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 10:33 am

manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Joey's book was one long bitchfest about his daddy issues, jealously of Steven Tyler and b.s psycho babble, not very compelling read.

Despite the "bitchfest" I still think Joey's book gave some useful and interesting insight into the Aerosmith machine, and certainly from a different perspective than the usual fare, since it's usually Joe Perry and Steven Tyler that are heard. As well, I think his book was meant to help people suffering from depression so that they can see they are not alone and even people who have fame and fortune suffer from it. I was an honest book where he opened himself up and showed his true feelings. I enjoyed it for the most part.

Last edited by ultmetal on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 10:49 am

ultmetal wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Despite the "bitchfest" I still think Joey's book gave some useful and interesting insight into the Aerosmith machine, and certainly from a different perspective than the usual fare, since it's usually Joe Perry and Steven Tyler that are heard. As well, I think his book was meant to help people suffering from depression so that they can see they are not alone and even people who have fame and fortune suffer from it. I was an honest book where he opened himself up and showed his true feelings. I enjoyed it for the most part.

This is why you are a better man then me, to me it was one long whinefest, where you actually saw beyond that and grasped his point about depression.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 10:52 am

manny wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

This is why you are a better man then me, to me it was one long whinefest, where you actually saw beyond that and grasped his point about depression.

Or I'm just more of an Aero-fanatic. lol!

Actually I have a very good friend that struggles and daily battles depression, so I guess that helps a bit as well.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 10:54 am

Schbopo wrote:
Chapter one: unremarkable childhood
Chapters 2-54: DRUGS
Chapter 55: American Idol

That pretty much sums it up Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 10:55 am

Quote :
Ditto for me. I didn't like the book and don't care about the depression stuff. But I'm pretty dickish that way.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 4:00 pm

I never read books like this. I am only interested in a musician's music. I don't care that their daddy diddled their balloon knot as a child, or how many times they got syphilis from hookers, or rehab or whatever.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I never read books like this. I am only interested in a musician's music. I don't care that their daddy diddled their balloon knot as a child, or how many times they got syphilis from hookers, or rehab or whatever.

That's what I liked so much about Aerosmith's Biography "Walk this Way". It gave details about the artist's life, but also went into detail about the recordings, how they were done, certain things you wouldn't notice in the songs unless you pay attention or look for them, etc. Kiss' biography was similarly cool in that they went and gave their opinions on every single album and even gave opinions on every song each of those albums.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 5:27 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

That's what I liked so much about Aerosmith's Biography "Walk this Way". It gave details about the artist's life, but also went into detail about the recordings, how they were done, certain things you wouldn't notice in the songs unless you pay attention or look for them, etc. Kiss' biography was similarly cool in that they went and gave their opinions on every single album and even gave opinions on every song each of those albums.
I could dig on that, yeah.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?   Does the Noise in My Head Bother You? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?
Page 1 of 1