Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is the best tourniquet album?

Go down 
+27
325ad
James B.
adrian
mr.electric39
Sutekh
shamgar75
kmorg
Joe
Addy
jettafiend
Jesusandmetal23
bassman
Tur-Thalion
nevermore
scottmitchell74
Thrasher73
exact33
rawr!
Grimmo
stepcousin
Troublezone
DallasBlack
ultmetal
GrandNational
The_Jayroh
mc666
metalhead777
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Best Tourniquet album?
Stop The Bleeding
What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 24% [ 12 ]
Psycho Surgery
What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Vote_lcap37%What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 37% [ 18 ]
Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance
What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 20% [ 10 ]
Vanishing Lesson
What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Crawl to China
What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Microscopic View of a Telescopic Realm
What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 4 ]
Where Moth & Rust Destroy
What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 49

AuthorMessage
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 10:07 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Tur-Thalion wrote:
If we set aside the fact that Crawl to China isn't thrash and therefore is not what you'd expect from Tourniquet (but then again, nor was Vanishing Lessons), what is there not to like about it? I think that Crawl to China is pretty excellent, actually.

Great songs on that album! And you're right, I think most people don't give it a fair shake is because it was a turn away from thrash (even moreso than Vanishing Lessons) and was an attempt at changing with the times (which is a valid argument against, but after these years the music should be more appreciated).

Yeah that's a good point, they DEFINITELY were changing with the times. Man is it evident on the cover art. I guess for quite a while I wasn't the biggest fan of it, but during the past couple years I've found myself listening to it more often, enjoying it all the while. Like you said, I think sometimes when an album is such a departure from a previous sound, you have to let some years pass before you give it a fresh look.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 10:18 pm

Psycho Surgery, followed by STB and then POD are my favourites in order. I always loved Guy Ritter's voice, and loved the counterpoint with Gary's vocals. I'm in the minority that doesn't dig MVOATM that much -it's good, but not great, and lacks the focus that the best TQT has. I liked Vanishing Lessons for what it was, but rarely spin that, as the first three albums are what I reach for when looking for a TQT fix!
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 11:26 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
If we set aside the fact that Crawl to China isn't thrash and therefore is not what you'd expect from Tourniquet (but then again, nor was Vanishing Lessons), what is there not to like about it? I think that Crawl to China is pretty excellent, actually. I think the songs are more well written than on Microscopic View, actually.

Well said, I totally agree!
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 12:24 am

Psycho Surgery bar none..... when it first came out I was floored... much better than the debut imo....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 5:51 am

I love Psychosurgery but I don't think it is as good as P.O.D. or STB. Side 2 is the worst side of all 6 sides of the first 3 albums.

Dysfunctional Domicile: great song, very heavy in the lyrical dept. Powerful thrash song.

Broken Chromosomes: I understand this song has a huge effect on alot of people due to the lyrics on abuse but it's not incredible musically, it's a great song but these next three tracks have zero speed, all mid-tempo or slower.

Stereotaxic Atrocities: Lyrically it's part 2 to "Ark Of Suffering", musically just average mid tempo. Cool song, just not stunning musically.

Officium Defunctorium: Cool meaning to the lyrics but absolutely nothing special musically. I could do without the crying and repetitive nothing at the end that goes on and on.

I really don't see how this side compares to either side of STB, either side of POD (not even close), or side 1 of Psychosurgery (which is phenominal).

compare all 6 sides separately someday. I think you'll be a bit surprised.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 7:58 pm

I listened to Tourniquet a lot growing up thanks to both my dad and brother. I always liked it, but the only album that has ever completely blown me away is Stop the Bleeding. That album kills and is the only Tourniquet album I've ever bought. (In an emergency I can borrow the rest from my brother)
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 8:15 pm

Okay, I took my tourniquet cds to listen to while working/driving. No particuar order. I don't have "Crawl To China", but I did listen to the E.P "Carry The Wounded" in it's stead. There is alot to like on the albums listed to vote on. I can say that it was easier to listen to the first 4 they did as opposed to the last two. Mostly cause of faiilarity... The lack of a second guitar takes away from what I enjoyed most about Tourniquet.

To the question at hand.....I chose Pyscho Surgery

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 8:18 pm

I also like the Acoustic Archives - the cd cover is lame but the music is good.

325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 1:43 pm

WOW - The ones I like no one else seems to like. I voted for Microscopic but I also like Moth and Rust and Crawl To China all seem to albums no one else really likes. WOW just WOW though to be honest even though I like Christian Metal I have never really been that big of a Tourniquet compared to some.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 6:31 pm

325ad wrote:
WOW - The ones I like no one else seems to like. I voted for Microscopic but I also like Moth and Rust and Crawl To China all seem to albums no one else really likes. WOW just WOW though to be honest even though I like Christian Metal I have never really been that big of a Tourniquet compared to some.

I went with Microscopic. That album is way underrated IMO. And I really love Crawl To China too.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 9:56 pm

Quote :
Officium Defunctorium: Cool meaning to the lyrics but absolutely nothing special musically. I could do without the crying and repetitive nothing at the end that goes on and on.

Ted used to play in the band Trouble for a while and I think this song was sort of a tribute to doom metal. (the title even has a Candlemass influence). Bruce Franklin should have done a guest solo on that song... (instead Bruce ends up on their last album) which was cool but the song on Psycho Surgery had more in common with Trouble's early doom style.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 9:54 pm

Bumping this for some opinion's on Crawl to China. I saw a used copy in FYE tonight for $3.99 but skipped it for now because I read it was a bit of a turd.

Is it still as bad as everyone seems to remember or has it gotten better with age? Should I go back for it or let it collect dust on the shelf?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 10:28 pm

Crawl to China was my first TqT lp, and I love it! Don't understand why it's so low on most folks list. Micro's my favorite though, killer jams! headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 10:41 pm

I like it. But it's quite a bit different from what you're use to hearing from them. It's crunchy, lots of groove and great melodies.I think you'll like it MG!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 1:03 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Bumping this for some opinion's on Crawl to China. I saw a used copy in FYE tonight for $3.99 but skipped it for now because I read it was a bit of a turd.

Is it still as bad as everyone seems to remember or has it gotten better with age? Should I go back for it or let it collect dust on the shelf?

Turd to clog the john. What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 288219

bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 8:19 am

I like all except china.....but I think psycho is the best.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 4:37 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
I like it. But it's quite a bit different from what you're use to hearing from them. It's crunchy, lots of groove and great melodies.I think you'll like it MG!

Eh, I played a few tracks on YouTube and wasn't all that impressed. It wasn't terrible, but I don't know that it would get many spins from me, especially when I'm in the mood for "classic" Tourniquet.

I dunno. If I do get back to the mall in the near future and it's still there, maybe I'll grab it for $4 bucks. At the very least, I can rip it and flip it on ebay.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 11:57 am

Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance, but I like Psycho Surgery and Stop the Bleeding a lot too.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 8:21 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

It's an album in which they tried to please everyone and in turn pleased no one. It's a little alternative, a little metal, a little hard rock, a little thrash, a little of this and a little of that. It has some songs I like but is overall one of my least favorite from Tourniquet.

PostSubject: Re: What is the best tourniquet album?   What is the best tourniquet album? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is the best tourniquet album?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2