Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

one of the most incredible albums EVER!

Go down 
+27
MEGATRON
Gilbert
tohostudios
Mglaffas81
scottmitchell74
chewie
Joe
Addy
TheDoctor'sScarf
Required Fields
krokus
The_Jayroh
stepcousin
stormspell
adrian
Schbopo
ultmetal
DallasBlack
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
manny
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Metallic Blaze
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 3:54 am

Addy wrote:
I do like some Glam Metal, Alice Cooper being one of them got alot of respect for Alice.

Alice isn't a glam metal artist... Sure he made a few glam albums in the 80's, but the majority of his career has been hard rock/heavy metal. Just sayin' silent
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 3:58 am

MEGATRON wrote:
Addy wrote:
I do like some Glam Metal, Alice Cooper being one of them got alot of respect for Alice.

Alice isn't a glam metal artist... Sure he made a few glam albums in the 80's, but the majority of his career has been hard rock/heavy metal. Just sayin' one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 487782

I think Addy is referring to his late 80s/early 90s era. We both grew up during that time and you can bet that he was included with the glam metal scene! During that time in his career he was total glam metal and he never backed away from it. He returned to his 70s/60s roots in the mid 90s and has stayed true to those ever since. However, he definitely had about a 7 year stint as a glam metal superstar. Before that he also did a bit of a 'new wave' stint in the early 80s too ... he followed trends to some degree. I still like him though. But like Addy, I tend to prefer his glam metal era.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 8:23 am

I am firmly in the Alice as rock musician stuff. THe glam stuff is ok but his rock stuff is out of this world!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 9:53 am

exact33 wrote:
I am firmly in the Alice as rock musician stuff. THe glam stuff is ok but his rock stuff is out of this world!

I like all of his phases from the classic rock to current sound (ok, maybe not the new wave sound).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 9:58 am

I am huge Alice fan and other then 'Trash', I like all of Alice's different phases etc.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 10:05 am

I like everything I've heard from Alice,icluding Trash ( Embarassed ).
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 11:33 am

Holy Diver is a classic album for sure, perhaps the definitive Dio album. Though I do admit I prefer The Last in Line just a tiny bit more. Maybe because it was my first exposure to the man. Songs like "We Rock," "The Last in Line," "I Speed at Night," "Egypt (The Chains Are On)" are still so excellent years later. Both albums are pretty similar though. Lately I've been kind of stuck on Killing the Dragon and Heaven & Hell's The Devil You Know. It seems easy to say it now but in hindsight I feel like some of his latter albums were some of the best of his career and he really went out on a high note.

Speaking of underrated albums, I never really understood why some fans seemed to really hate Sabbath's Dehumanizer. I love that album. Dio and Tony Iommi were always pure magic together despite their conflicts. I sometimes wonder what could have been if Dio had stayed with Sabbath throughout the rest of the '80s...

Man, I really miss Ronnie. No

As for the recommendations... If Dio's solo stuff doesn't do it for you, maybe try the Sabbath albums (Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules and Dehumanizer), and definitely Rainbow's Rising.

I love Ronnie for his voice, stage presence, his attitude and outlook on life and music, his lyrics (there's more than just fantasy / occultism to what he wrote about if you look a little bit deeper, often times he used fantasy / horror imagery as a metaphor for other subjects, similar to what Black Sabbath did). I think Ronnie always stayed pretty true to himself, his music and his fans and he remained very humble despite his immense and continuing influence. I never met the man, but when I was a kid I was impressed with how intelligently he conducted himself in interviews (definitely not your stereotypical "brain dead" rock star). He was a very smart, passionate and immensely talented man who worked with some of the very best in the genre, fronted three of the greatest metal bands of all time (Rainbow, Black Sabbath and Dio), and altogether he had a pretty consistent and high quality discography that spanned five decades. So, that's why I love him. \m/
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Don't own this album nor have I ever heard it from beginning to end. I'm a poser that just knows the hits.

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 12:11 pm

The reason I said "best solo album" is because there are a few other albums that would rate ahead of Holy Diver in my opinion.

Rainbow - Rising
Rainbow - Long Live Rock N Roll
Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 1:45 pm

I love Dio's Sabbath albums but never really gave those Rainbow recordings a chance. A song here and there that I've heard wasn't too bad though.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Love those Rainbow albums. I have all the Dio solo albums, all three Rainbow albums, and all but Dehumanizer (I do have it on tape though) from his Sabbath years. And albsolutly none of them will ever leave my possesion (though I wouldn't miss Angry Machines if it dissapeared).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 2:59 pm

I love Ronnie in Rainbow and Sabbath, but his solo work never did much for me. I have a 2-disc Dio Anthology that pretty much covers all I'll need.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 3:05 pm

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Rising
Long Live Rock And Roll
Heaven And Hell
Mob Rules
Holy Diver
The Last In Line

Each and every one of them is 100% essential, IMO.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 3:53 pm

Mob Rules headbanger

arachnoplasma said:

Quote :
his attitude and outlook on life and music, his lyrics (there's more than just fantasy / occultism to what he wrote about if you look a little bit deeper, often times he used fantasy / horror imagery as a metaphor for other subjects, similar to what Black Sabbath did).

This is so true, and it's one thing I've noticed a lot of metal lyricists today seem to forget. Just because you use certain words/phrases/names/titles you've lifted from sci-fi, horror, and fantasy, doesn't mean you should tell the same story literally, verbatim. I just think it shows a lack of creativity is all. All you power metal bands to spring up over the last ten years or so, I'm looking at YOU!

Only Iron Maiden can get away with this.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 5:01 pm

I've actually never dug Dio's solo stuff all that much, from Holy Diver up to Lock Up The Wolves have some great tracks scattered about, but I'll take his voice in Rainbow and Sabbath any day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Rising
Long Live Rock And Roll
Heaven And Hell
Mob Rules
Holy Diver
The Last In Line

yup
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:36 pm

Joe wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Rising
Long Live Rock And Roll
Heaven And Hell
Mob Rules
Holy Diver
The Last In Line

yup

+ 2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: one of the most incredible albums EVER!   one of the most incredible albums EVER! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

one of the most incredible albums EVER!
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3