Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Supergroups

Go down 
+19
James B.
metalhead777
SpectreFate
mc666
Eyesore
Leatherface
exact33
thejokeriv
Lurideath
DallasBlack
Addy
MetalGuy71
chewie
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
manny
Smindas
Temple of Blood
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Supergroups - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 10:21 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
The more "supergroups" we name the more I think my point stands that they simply don't impress, as a rule.

I have to agree, scratch off Cream from the list and Bad Company, and very few live up to the hype.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:11 pm

A lot of the "hype" is a combo of label bull$h!+ and fan expectation...lots of times these guys are just friends and want to do a record together and have fun...it's fans and critics that embellish and exaggerate the potential impact of these unions.

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
A lot of the "hype" is a combo of label bull$h!+ and fan expectation...lots of times these guys are just friends and want to do a record together and have fun...it's fans and critics that embellish and exaggerate the potential impact of these unions.

Supergroups - Page 3 25679
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Very true, neither Rodgers or Page for example claimed the Firm was the second coming of Led Zeppelin

Last edited by manny on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:46 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

+3

....and how many don't happen because of label BS and lawyers. Dude A wants to jam with dude B, C and & D but can't because the label says no.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Everybody was touting "Them Crooked Vultures" as a supergroup (the press, the fans, etc). Josh just wanted to jam with John Paul Jones...that was it.

Knowing him personally, I would have to say that he HATES hype of any sort, he just wants to play music and if people dig it, fine, if they don't, he really doesn't care. He's going to record whatever the hell he wants.

That's one of the reasons I admire him.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 3:07 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
Everybody was touting "Them Crooked Vultures" as a supergroup (the press, the fans, etc). Josh just wanted to jam with John Paul Jones...that was it.

Knowing him personally, I would have to say that he HATES hype of any sort, he just wants to play music and if people dig it, fine, if they don't, he really doesn't care. He's going to record whatever the hell he wants.

That's cool...I think Grohl is the same way. But because he was in Nirvana and the Foo's are so huge, he can't do anything without fans and press jumping all over it. He said recently that he still "dreams of playing drums for AC/DC"...and I believe him. He seems like a guy who looks around at all he's accomplished and wonders "how the hell did I get here?"...
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 7:26 pm

I dont know.

I sort of consider strapping young lad a super group. Byron and Gene were well known,Devin was picking up speed with his solo stuff. Jed was really the only unknown member of the band.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 9:08 pm

Blizzard Of Ozz....

The musicians who recorded it and the musicians who toured for it headbanger

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 9:47 pm

David Lee Roth's "Eat 'Em & Smile" was a "supergroup" and that album was fantastic IMO.

James B. wrote:
Blizzard Of Ozz....

The musicians who recorded it and the musicians who toured for it headbanger

And the original Blizzard of Ozz was a supergroup. The only unknown in the band a the time was Randy.

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Black Sabbath's Born Again album is essentially a supergroup, both the recording band and the touring band (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, ELO).

Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 11:53 pm

I'm not a huge death metal aficionado, but Bloodbath does play some of my favorite death metal (at least their first two albums, which are all I've heard).

Since Dave Grohl was mentioned, I just want to say that I love Probot (though it's not a supergroup). I wish it wasn't just a one-off album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 11:55 pm

Grohl has talked about doing a Probot followup, but I think it's difficult to get all the label wrangling together.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 2:42 am

Shawn D. wrote:
Grohl has talked about doing a Probot followup, but I think it's difficult to get all the label wrangling together.

There we go with labels and lawyers again...........
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 9:57 am

Shawn D. wrote:

I'd love to hear another Probot album too, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Dave likes to keep lotsa irons in the fire, so I could see it happening, just not anytime soon.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:32 am

I don't define supergroup as merely "lineup of great musicians".

I agree with Shawn's earlier definition of musicians who have made a worldwide name for themselves.

Bands like DEATH, MEGADETH, BLACK SABBATH often had lineups of great musicians but weren't really supergroups (according to the way I think of them).

Them Crooked Vultures would be.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 am

Shawn D. wrote:

This one works more often than not and probably for the reason you mention, Shawn. They just wanted to jam together and weren't trying to make "hits." In fact, the first single "New Fang," while enjoyable, is not one of the stronger tracks on the album, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 1:58 pm

metalhead777 wrote:
I dont know.

I sort of consider strapping young lad a super group. Byron and Gene were well known,Devin was picking up speed with his solo stuff. Jed was really the only unknown member of the band.
Devin didn't have any solo stuff when he put Strapping Young Lad together, unless you consider the demo that landed him the Vai gig. But no one has ever heard that demo, so it doesn't count. In fact, the first Strapping album was all Devin Townsend.

The other guys who ended up in the band, and despite sometimes contributing a bit to the songwriting, were little more than session musicians.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 1:21 pm

I don't think Black Country Communion was mentioned yet. I was spinning their 2nd disc today and reminded me.

Glen Hughes
Joe Bonnamassa
Derek Sherinan (sp?)
Jason Bonham

So far, they are living up to the expectations. Both albums are very good in my opinion.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 2:58 pm

Lock Up hasn't been mentioned yet has it? i guess they'd be one of sorts.

redbroyer
Metal novice
Metal novice
redbroyer

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 3:03 am

here's some others to consider......

A Perfect Circle
Audioslave (although the argument could be made that it was just RATM w/ Cornell)
Alterbridge (same could be said here, Creed+Kennedy)
Slash's Snake Pit
Mad Season

for the record, i love me some LTE and OSI (or at least the first two OSI albums)

i also really like Portnoy's tribute bands. he really gets into the music and (at least w/ HotG and YMC) stays true to the original.
Hammer of the Gods
Cygnus and the Sea Monster
Yellow Matter Custard

could it be that we don't see supergroups as successful because they don't sell that many albums? i know the argument has been made that they don't have to sell a lot of albums, but don't we equal success with how well the band's CDs perform in sales? if a supergroup isn't making money on sales or tours, then why stay together?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:24 am

redbroyer wrote:

A Perfect Circle
Audioslave (although the argument could be made that it was just RATM w/ Cornell)
Slash's Snake Pit
Mad Season

agreed, they are all supergroups.
Back to top Go down
redbroyer
Metal novice
Metal novice
redbroyer

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:39 am

S.D. wrote:
redbroyer wrote:

A Perfect Circle
Slash's Snake Pit
Mad Season

agreed, they are all supergroups.

so in that light, i would say that APC has been more than "successful"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Supergroups
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3