Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Supergroups

Go down 
+19
James B.
metalhead777
SpectreFate
mc666
Eyesore
Leatherface
exact33
thejokeriv
Lurideath
DallasBlack
Addy
MetalGuy71
chewie
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
manny
Smindas
Temple of Blood
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Have any been very good? Not as far as I can recall. They always seem to add up to less than the sum of their parts.

Why don't they work? One reason: Too many chiefs, not enough indians.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 1:52 pm

What about Cream? Or the Traveling Wilburys? You could probably argue that Mr. Big are a supergroup of sorts, as well. That's all I've got, though.

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 1:58 pm

supergroups work in jazz all the time, it's mostly hard rock and metal that can't make it work.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 1:58 pm

Cream is one of the best supergroups in rock history, Traveling Wilburys was cool but that was more of fun then a serious project IMO.

But I have to agree with ToB, as much as I like The Firm, Chickenfoot, Velvet Revolver, I always end up disappointed, maybe because I except to be as good, if not better then their previous work.

Even Blind Faith which IMO is an excellent album, but maybe fans (mine) exceptions are too big and unrealistic.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Supergroups Empty

Is Dublin Death Patrol considered a supergroup?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 pm

Damn Yankees made it work...sorta... for a little while, anyway. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Laughing very hard
NOT
lol!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 2:10 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Laughing very hard
NOT
lol!

Shawn does not think they made it high enough.
Back to top Go down

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 2:13 pm

No, I just think Night Ranger+Styx+Ted Nugent = exactly what we got. Mediocre "blah" with a hint of testosterone...but not nearly enough.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 2:48 pm

I don't consider Cream a super group because those musicians hadn't made a name on their own before they joined forces.

Same goes for Led Zeppelin.
Back to top Go down

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I don't consider Cream a super group because those musicians hadn't made a name on their own before they joined forces.

You need to study your music history my friend.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Being "in a band" prior to your big band forming is different than members of big bands forming a new band after already being world-famous.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 2:59 pm

Humble Pie was considered a Supergroup at the time

Last edited by chewie on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 2:59 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Being "in a band" prior to your big band forming is different than members of big bands forming a new band after already being world-famous.

Yeah.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I'd say you're off a tad with Cream. Clapton and Bruce were pretty well established in the British blues movement of the era, maybe not as solo artists, but as members of other popular bands. I'm not sure about Ginger Baker's background.

Zeppelin I can kinda agree with. Jimmy Page might have been known in the blues circuit, traveling the same circles as Clapton & Bruce, but Jones was a session guy. As talented as he was at the time, I doubt many "mainstream" folks knew of his work. Plant & Bonham were unknowns at the time.

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:03 pm

"Clapton is GOD" happened in 1966 when he joined John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, one of the biggest bands in Europe at the time. The album was also a huge hit in the US and spawned a couple tours.

Ginger Baker was the house drummer at Ronnie Scott's Jazz club in London, THE primary venue for blues, rock and jazz during that era. He started playing there in 1961.

Jack Bruce was one of the most celebrated studio and touring bassists during that era.

Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck both came from THE YARDBIRDS which were a huge success throughout the world.

Supergroup doesn't have to mean "multi-platinum".

P.S. - the term supergroup was created to describe CREAM.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Shawn D wrote:

P.S. - the term supergroup was created to describe CREAM.

THIS is true!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Quote :
Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck both came from THE YARDBIRDS which were a huge success throughout the world.

Right, and the other 3 came out of nowhere...not a supergroup.

Cream a little moreso, sure. Clapton was a superstar already (relatively for the times) and Bruce also played with Manfred Mann...but Bruce & Baker together were nobodies compared to Clapton.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Humble Pie
Crosby, Stills And Nash
CSN&Y
Emerson, Lake And Palmer
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Captain Beyond.......... how could I forget them????
UK
Asia
Back to top Go down

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

Cream a little moreso, sure. Clapton was a superstar already (relatively for the times) and Bruce also played with Manfred Mann...but Bruce & Baker together were nobodies compared to Clapton.

Nobodies in the rock world maybe, but you need to realize that both these guys played Jazz prior to joining Cream and they both had very high profile gigs both touring and in the studio. The entire world wasn't about Rock in the mid-sixties.

Supergroup = incredible musicians, joining together. Record sales don't enter into it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

Nobodies in the rock world maybe, but you need to realize that both these guys played Jazz prior to joining Cream and they both had very high profile gigs both touring and in the studio. The entire world wasn't about Rock in the mid-sixties.

Supergroup = incredible musicians, joining together. Record sales don't enter into it.

OK
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:20 pm

Quote :

So Toto was a supergroup based on that definition?

Then every technical band is a "supergroup" based on that.

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:22 pm

I'm not going to argue with you about definition, think whatever you like.

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:25 pm

Manny said:

Quote :
Traveling Wilburys was cool but that was more of fun then a serious project IMO.

I said:

Traveling Wilburys for the win Smile
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

Supergroups Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supergroups   Supergroups Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Supergroups
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next