Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc

Go down 
+3
adrian
GrandNational
powermacho
7 posters
AuthorMessage
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Empty
PostSubject: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:19 pm

Im forming a THRASH METAL BAND with a friend. we both are rithim guitar players, but I am learning bass. So far we are two guys and are planing to do only music for now. We are not thinking of concerts, making a living out of it. Just keeping it real.

What advices would you guys give us? So far we started 2 songs, we are missing the lead guitar parts for the songs for them to be finished.

My friend said that we are going to use drum machines to start off. on that we may need some help later on.

We haven't talk about band names or the exact direction we will take. But we now we want to have variation in our style lets say a bit PROGRESSIVE

I was thinking of a band name "INLAKESH" which is a mayan word meaning "IM YOU, YOU ARE ME", the respect of each other and their decisions

Any advices would be great, like what steps should we take. One thing is that we are trying to take it seriously. Im taking bass lessons twice a week to improve faster
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:42 pm

You said you're forming a thrash band and then say you don't know what direction it may go and it might be progressive. I would recommend knowing exactly what type of metal you want to play and go from there. Keep it real.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:58 pm

GrandNational wrote:
You said you're forming a thrash band and then say you don't know what direction it may go and it might be progressive. I would recommend knowing exactly what type of metal you want to play and go from there. Keep it real.

IT'S thrash, but WHAT I MEANT is like how are we going to sound, or what bands to listen to influence our style. Are we going to stick to a formula or are we going to re-invent our style on every album?

What I was doing is listening underground bands and getting ideas or melodies from them LIKE POWERMAD, and SABBATH for now

Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:00 pm

I've kind of been doing that for a couple years now, just putting together music and recording for fun. Then when my latest demo got a little positive reception from people, I started to get more serious and now have a drummer and am looking for a bassist so we can do gigs.

I guess as I'm still young and inexperienced, I can't give too much advice but I say just do what you want and have fun. You never know where it'll lead you

There are some very nice drum programs out there, some of them aren't too pricey either.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:03 pm

adrian wrote:
I've kind of been doing that for a couple years now, just putting together music and recording for fun. Then when my latest demo got a little positive reception from people, I started to get more serious and now have a drummer and am looking for a bassist so we can do gigs.

I guess as I'm still young and inexperienced, I can't give too much advice but I say just do what you want and have fun. You never know where it'll lead you

There are some very nice drum programs out there, some of them aren't too pricey either.
Thats what we will do now. we are not putting pressure on each other.

HOW DO you records your demos?
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:31 pm

I just record in a program called Acoustica Mixcraft. I tried it a few years ago and have always liked it. But I'm sure there's both better and cheaper software out there you could use; Audacity is free and I think it can do most stuff you'd need
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:04 am

powermacho wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

IT'S thrash, but WHAT I MEANT is like how are we going to sound, or what bands to listen to influence our style. Are we going to stick to a formula or are we going to re-invent our style on every album?

What I was doing is listening underground bands and getting ideas or melodies from them LIKE POWERMAD, and SABBATH for now
These things should come naturally to a true artist. If you're looking for inspiration, trying to get ideas from other bands, start a cover band. Then you'll be keeping it real.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 7:11 am

My advice -

- DO NOT try to nail down a specific formula for your style before you play

- DO have a rough idea in mind (Thrash Metal, to take your example) and just start playing

- DO let your style from that point develop naturally

- DO play to YOUR tastes without trying to second-guess what other people may like or not like

- DO experiment and try different things in your process...consider every idea at least once

- DO NOT try to rush yourselves onto a stage or into the studio...take your time

Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Shawn hit the nail right on the head. Just write songs & play your music. If you try too hard to be any one style you will hold yourself back. If it feels good, play it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 5:47 pm

Hamer12 wrote:
Shawn hit the nail right on the head. Just write songs & play your music. If you try too hard to be any one style you will hold yourself back. If it feels good, play it.
Right. Then don't change, else these very same people will complain. lol!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9878

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 1:01 am

Play us some good old speed metal headbanger
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:10 pm

adrian wrote:
I just record in a program called Acoustica Mixcraft. I tried it a few years ago and have always liked it. But I'm sure there's both better and cheaper software out there you could use; Audacity is free and I think it can do most stuff you'd need
thanks i'll try them when i have to start needing a drum machine
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:12 pm

Eyesore wrote:
powermacho wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

These things should come naturally to a true artist. If you're looking for inspiration, trying to get ideas from other bands, start a cover band. Then you'll be keeping it real.
thats what I am doing. with the 3 songs we are doing I got ideas from KREATOR, EXODUS, METALLICA SO FAR. I'm planing of doing some songs inspired by the punk hardcore movement, and from METAL CHURCH and TANKARD
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:15 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
My advice -

- DO NOT try to nail down a specific formula for your style before you play

- DO have a rough idea in mind (Thrash Metal, to take your example) and just start playing

- DO let your style from that point develop naturally

- DO play to YOUR tastes without trying to second-guess what other people may like or not like

- DO experiment and try different things in your process...consider every idea at least once

- DO NOT try to rush yourselves onto a stage or into the studio...take your time
Thanks bro, thats what we are doing. Both of us are not rushing. we are doing 3 songs right now, and they are almost finish with the rithim guitar parts and the bass lines need a little of touches. later we are going to ask a friend to do some lead work for us, and then we are going to look for the lyrics, drum machine, and singin the last. Let's hope by the end of the year we have them finished.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Play us some good old speed metal headbanger
yeah man,we want to do it. actually I wrote lyrics for a speed metal song, After we finish the 3 songs we will do this one.

The first song we called a fight or about war song, it has the SODOM feel
The second and third have a KREATOR, EXODUS, METALLICA feel
And the forth we only have the lyrics,

the song goes : This is my first intent to do write a song.

"The Dictators and the nations
They all teach us they all opress us
about a way of life that should be follow
teaching only fear, to have us only near
ready to listen ready to die for

LIES, LIES, LIES,
ALL WE KONW IS

Making it seen like we have failed
that we have sinned that we are weak
evil forces evil nations

LIES, LIES, LIES
ALL WE KNOW IS

IF YOU BREAK THE RULES
DONT BE ANOTHER FOOL
BECAUSE THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PERFECTION

We are humans after all
that we must face our fears
And no one should tell us who to follow

Lies, Lies, Lies,
No More Lies
" Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc   Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forming a band soon, or a project that is now. need advices etc
Page 1 of 1