Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

At The Gates

Go down 
+7
Smindas
mc666
Lurideath
Gilbert
shamgar75
Temple of Blood
metalhead777
11 posters
AuthorMessage
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Why no love for them? Possible one of the best death metal bands around,even though they inspired pretty much every metalcore band around.

Back to top Go down

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 6:50 pm

metalhead777 wrote:
Possible one of the best death metal bands around

Na I couldn't agree with that, sure they released in my opinion one excellent album in "The Red in the Sky..." and then a couple of average albums, nothing groundbreaking as far better Death Metal albums came out of Sweden alone, Edge of Sanity come to mind as being a far superior band and have a better catalogue of Death Metal releases.

Last edited by Locky on Fri May 20, 2011 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 7:17 pm

I thought they were way overrated (at least with "Slaughter of the Soul") although "Blinded by Fear" was a catchy song with some cool riffs (although I don't like the midsection).
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 10:12 pm

Love Slaughter of the Soul. The first two tracks are classics IMO.

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 1:00 am

Very good band. But i am not a big fan of Death Metal in general.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 1:07 am

LOVE this band! Too bad they broke up. At least they are playing shows again.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 1:09 am

metalhead777 wrote:
not even close, but i do like them a lot & they were influential in their own way.

Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 2:13 am

I never particularly got on with their earlier stuff, but I adore Slaughter of the Soul. That album defines the Gothenburg melodic death metal sound. That entire album is bursting at the seams with heavy, intricate riffing and Lindberg's voice is fantastically emotive (for a harsh vocalist, especially).

They're also a cracking live band.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 3:45 am

Locky wrote:
metalhead777 wrote:

Na I couldn't agree with that, sure they released in my opinion one excellent album in "The Red in the Sky..." and then a couple of average albums, nothing groundbreaking as far better Death Metal albums came out of Sweden alone, Edge of Sanity come to mind as being a far superior band and have a better catalogue of Death Metal releases.

Nothing groundbreaking? They practically started the whole melodic death metal genre!

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 6:55 am

kmorg wrote:
Locky wrote:
metalhead777 wrote:

Nothing groundbreaking? They practically started the whole melodic death metal genre!

Sorry I ment groundbreaking with their later albums, I think the debut is an excellent album and will stand it's course in history but what came after it were average but that doesn't make them one of the Best Death Metal bands around.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 8:28 am

Love 'Slaughter of the Soul' album which is the only one I own so far, very melodic which was unusual at the time for death metal.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 10:47 am

Locky wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Locky wrote:
metalhead777 wrote:

Sorry I ment groundbreaking with their later albums, I think the debut is an excellent album and will stand it's course in history but what came after it were average but that doesn't make them one of the Best Death Metal bands around.

I agree that they were never one of the best death metal bands around. But they were one of the best melodic death metal bands. Very Happy

Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 12:28 pm

kmorg wrote:
Locky wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Locky wrote:
metalhead777 wrote:

I agree that they were never one of the best death metal bands around. But they were one of the best melodic death metal bands. Very Happy

This is more of what I meant. One of the few melodic death metal bands that was both as intense as regular death metal,while adding that melodic element. Finding this proper mix is fairly hard now,its either more along the lines of classic death metal,or so melodic its pretty much power metal.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 8:28 pm

I have "Red in the Sky..." and "Slaughter of the Soul" and absolutely love both of them. I'd really like to get their other releases.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2022 4:10 pm

I ordered Slaughter Of The Soul on cd, earlier today.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2022 6:55 pm

Gilbert wrote:

You won't be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2022 12:53 am

nevermore wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

You won't be disappointed.

I sampled a couple of tracks. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

At The Gates Empty
PostSubject: Re: At The Gates   At The Gates Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

At The Gates
Page 1 of 1