Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

At the Gates any good?

Go down 
+3
mc666
Temple of Blood
fingers
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

At the Gates any good? Empty
PostSubject: At the Gates any good?   At the Gates any good? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 11:52 pm

Everyone all of a sudden gone nuts for this band they are like a sister band of In Flames. Which album should I start Id imagine they started the same way as In Flames their 90s albums were good but they then sold out to flavour of the month trends in metal in their later albums
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: At the Gates any good?   At the Gates any good? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 5:42 am

They have one good song. Blinded by fear.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: At the Gates any good?   At the Gates any good? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 5:51 am

They have a lot more than one good song imo. Their initial 4 albums had tons of great songs. Start with The Red in the Sky Is Ours & end with Slaughter of the Soul. Their sound on those 4 albums never strayed from the standard MDM formula, which they helped to mold.

At War with Reality is not bad, but sounds more like a band trying to copy bands who were influenced by At The Gates.

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: At the Gates any good?   At the Gates any good? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 8:18 am

At The Gates f*cking rules. SLAUGHTER OF THE SOUL!!!!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: At the Gates any good?   At the Gates any good? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 11:23 am

They don't have as many albums as In Flames. As far as output, they are more akin to the older thrash bands that put out a few records, broke up and then recently put out new stuff.

I haven't heard the new stuff.

As to where to start, Slaughter of the Soul, without question. And people didn't really start all of a sudden going nuts for ATG, heh. Slaughter is arguably one of the most important metal albums of the 90s. Not to oversell it, and it might not sound like a big deal now, but it was then. Even if you don't end up liking it, it was a pretty big deal.

I also would not say In Flames sold out to flavor of the month trends either, personally. Their sound evolved, no question. I like the later stuff. Not like a die hard fan, but I think it's good.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: At the Gates any good?   At the Gates any good? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 3:29 pm

At The Gates has some fantastic Death/Thrash Metal albums, I would start with Slaughter Of The Soul
or Terminal Spirit Disease. They also have an early album under the name Grotesque called In The Embrace Of Evil that is quite good.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: At the Gates any good?   At the Gates any good? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 5:19 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
At The Gates f*cking rules. SLAUGHTER OF THE SOUL!!!!

headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: At the Gates any good?   At the Gates any good? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

At the Gates any good?
Page 1 of 1