Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?

Go down 
+13
ultmetal
DallasBlack
TheGreatDuck
Shawn Of Fire
Wargod
Nico
Fat Freddy
SpectreFate
Sutekh
Alex Dee Rokket
metalhead777
metalinmyveins
Wurthless
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Empty
PostSubject: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 12:03 am

I know the important ones like Priest, Maiden, and Sabbath. But do you have any suggestions for me (any time period, 70's to now) that I should know about? headbanger
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 12:12 am

If you're looking for some obscure stuff from the NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal), the Tygers of Pan Tang were pretty cool. Their first three albums are pretty awesome, especially "Spellbound". My favorite song from the album is "Take It".

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 12:22 am

Cool! I have heard some of their stuff. I think it was called Silver and Gold, and wasn't their guitarist John Sykes? or something like that, I forget first names. The one that was in Thin Lizzy? And I really like Tyrant from the NWOBHM scene. Really obscure stuff \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 12:33 am

}{Iron~Maiden~}{ wrote:
Cool! I have heard some of their stuff. I think it was called Silver and Gold, and wasn't their guitarist John Sykes? or something like that, I forget first names. The one that was in Thin Lizzy? And I really like Tyrant from the NWOBHM scene. Really obscure stuff \'arry \'eadbanger

You would be correct on everything above...Sykes's debut was on this album.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 12:37 am

Angel Witch was a pretty cool NWOBHM band as well. Definitely my favorite tune of theirs...

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 1:49 am

Only song I've heard from Angel Witch, was Angel Witch off of the album brilliantly entitled Angel Witch. lol! Before your previous post of course! I think my favorite NWOBHM band would be a tie between Cloven Hoof and The Tygers (looked up a bunch of songs by them and looked on No Life 'Til Metal). I'm not sure how to post a link but the song "Astral Rider" by Cloven Hoof is awesome!
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 1:52 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t80eKlbjCVw
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 2:12 am

}{Iron~Maiden~}{ wrote:
Only song I've heard from Angel Witch, was Angel Witch off of the album brilliantly entitled Angel Witch. lol! Before your previous post of course! I think my favorite NWOBHM band would be a tie between Cloven Hoof and The Tygers (looked up a bunch of songs by them and looked on No Life 'Til Metal). I'm not sure how to post a link but the song "Astral Rider" by Cloven Hoof is awesome!

The only Cloven Hoof song that I'm familiar with is "Laying Down the Law", which is pretty damn good.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 2:20 am

This is a must.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 3:15 am

Oh Yeah! A band i hadn't heard of that actually kicks some serious a**! When was that Omen album released? Sounds like mid to late 80's to me, but I could be wrong. Well, all I know is that "The Axeman" is now on my favorites list on Youtube.

cool
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 6:15 am

If you want traditional heavy metal at its best your first stop should be none other than... SAXON

You cannot go wrong with any Saxon but imo for a new comer to the band you are best to check out these albums:

Strong Arm of the Law
Denim and Leather
Wheels of Steel
Power and the Glory
Crusader

All of Saxon's official 80s catalog was recently re-issued with bonus tracks (dubbed as the 2009/10 re-issues).

You won't be disappointed especially if you are into early Priest and Maiden.

By all accounts Saxon should have been as big as Maiden and Priest yet for whatever reason, in part due to internal problems and management issues, Saxon has forever remained one of the cult heavy metal classics.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 7:58 am

^^^ Agree totally! Very Happy

I'm assuming you know Dio (epsecially Lat in Line and Holy Diver). Early albums by Savatage (Sirens, Hall of the Mountain King) are also highly recommended, along with early Fates Warning (The Spectre Within is essential), Crimson Glory (S/T and Transcendence). Later Savatage and Fates are more progressive but equally excellent. No Life Til Metal is an excellent stop for reviews and links to similar bands.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 8:44 am

Savatage is a good choice too - I have always considered them the American version of Iron Maiden because of similar theatrics and epic sounding songs. I think Savatage is better than most if not all of Fates Warning's catalog. It's not so much the music, as both bands share some great songs but Savatage has always had far superior vocals to Fates Warning's albums.

If you were to check out Savatage I'd go with the albums right before A Handful of Rain.

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 8:55 am

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 9:14 am

RAVEN

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 9:44 am

Besides the bands that have already been mentioned, I'd recommend Ostrogoth, Sacred Oath, Oz, Griffin, Witchfinder General, Tokyo Blade, Metal Inquisitor, Dark Forest (UK), Jaguar, Anvil, Crossfire, Witchkiller, Tank, Ignitor, etc. \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 12:18 pm

This is not an old band but new from The Netherlands and they are called Vanderbuyst!

Wargod52
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Twisted Tower Dire
Widow
Hellrazor
October 31

Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 3:36 pm

}{Iron~Maiden~}{ wrote:
Oh Yeah! A band i hadn't heard of that actually kicks some serious a**! When was that Omen album released? Sounds like mid to late 80's to me, but I could be wrong. Well, all I know is that "The Axeman" is now on my favorites list on Youtube.

cool
it was released in 84. I believe the vocalist died in 03
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Check out Divlje Jagode from Bosnia and Osmi Putnik from Croatia while you're at it.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 5:46 pm

Check out Aska from Dallas, TX. Some of their stuff is extremely rare but three of their albums are easy to find. Especially the last one, Absolute Power which I have a used copy for sale. $5 if anyone is interested Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 6:14 pm

The first ones that came to mind:

Dio
Anvil
Raven
Exciter
Sword
Cerebus
Omen
Saint
Armored Saint
Barren Cross
early Savatage
early Fates Warning
Loudness
Accept
U.D.O.
Running Wild
Rage
Racer X
Cacaphony
The Rods
TT Quick

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Mercyful Fate/King Diamond

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 7:52 pm

Celtic Frost
Cirith Ungol

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks a lot for these, most of the ones Ult posted I have heard of and listen to regularly, like Armored Saint, and Cirith Ungol. I haven't really gotten into Celtic Frost any, but I've heard a song or two. And I really dig early Savatage and Fates Warning. The Apparition is actually one of my favorite metal songs of any genre. I love early Queensryche through Empire, and Dio is great.
headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?   Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Bands that I NEED to check out in the Traditional Metal Scene?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next