Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Didn't age well...

Go down 
+32
speed101
Temple of Blood
Eyesore
Gilbert
Ben Grimm
exact33
rawr!
mr.electric39
jstate
kmorg
Sutekh
Mglaffas81
krokus
Shawn Of Fire
Alex Dee Rokket
stepcousin
troublemagnet
tohostudios
bassman
metalhead777
Lurideath
SpectreFate
Smindas
Required Fields
thejokeriv
mc666
Olafsto
A Handful of Wayne
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
manny
ultmetal
36 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:10 am

I pulled out a bunch of CDs I hadn't heard in a while today. The first I listened to was XALT - Under the Ruins. This CD seriously didn't age well. Name some CDs you think didn't age well.

Xalt - Under the Ruins
Messiah Prophet - Rock the Flock

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:13 am

Dokken-Tooth and Nail, still like the album but IMO sounds dated
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:15 am

I've found that a lot of the late '90s "Euro Power Metal" bands that I really dug when they were current, haven't aged very well at all. I still listen to Tad Morose quite a bit, but aside from their debuts, I don't listen to Primal Fear, Iron Savior, HammerFall, etc. much anymore.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:24 am

Allot of the early-mid 80's albums sound dated to me thanks to the overly slick production and keyboard saturation, but 2 that come to mind specifically....

Ozzy - The Ultimate Sin
Cheap Trick - Lap of Luxury

I think allot of bands that were big in the 70's kinda lost their direction (and balls) when they moved into the 80's. New technology and the desire to remain current really neutered their sound. The same way big 80's acts tried to remain relevent in the grunge-era 90's. In both cases, sometimes it worked, most times it didn't.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 am

Much of Aerosmith's PERMANENT VACATION has aged pretty badly. Loved it when it was current, but nowadays... "Rag Doll?" Ugh. "Dude Looks Like A Lady?" Double Ugh.

Quite a few Stryper tracks from "back in the day" are pretty cringe-worthy nowadays too. Off the top of my head, "Together Forever" (with that awful "doo-wop, wop-wah-oooo" bit), "Sing-Along Song," and pretty much any of their ballads.

Keel was one of my fave hair bands years ago but their only album that still holds up (in my book anyway) is THE RIGHT TO ROCK.

...and even as a huge KISS fan I gotta admit I rarely reach for the ANIMALIZE album anymore. It sounded great to me in '84 but nowadays it's aged about as well as a carton of milk left on a hot driveway.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:34 am

I have to agree with KISS-Animalize, used to love that album as a kid, and still like it somewhat but it has aged.

Same thing with Ozzy Osbourne 'The Ultimate Sin' personally I still love the album but it is dated and Cheap Trick's Lap of Luxury is very very dated.

As much as it pains me to say this, because I am huge Alice fan, 'Trash' to me sounds dated, of course this also happens to be Alice's worst album IMO.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:37 am

Judas Priest's TURBO (1986) already sounded dated by 1987 Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:40 am

Any albums inspired by Hysteria's production style.

Back to top Go down

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:41 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

It actually sounded dated when it came out, at least to me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:44 am

Quote :
Much of Aerosmith's PERMANENT VACATION has aged pretty badly. Loved it when it was current, but nowadays... "Rag Doll?" Ugh. "Dude Looks Like A Lady?" Double Ugh.

I don't listen to that one much these days, but I think it's more outta "burn-out" than dated. I played the sh*t outta that tape when I got it. And radio/MTV overkill didn't help.

Funny I say that. Just the phrase "MTV overkill" is dated itself. Very Happy

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:53 am

Anything by Grim Reaper. Don't get me wrong I still like the band but not as much as I did when I found out about them.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 12:23 pm

King Kobra - Ready To Strike Still love that album, but it does sound dated like most of the Pop/hair metal from back in my glory days.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 12:27 pm

Stuck Mojo - Snappin' Necks
Dearly Beheaded - Temptation

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Body Count's S/T (with the infamous "Cop Killer") is another one that has aged badly. At the time that came out, everybody was AFRAID of that record, like it was the most bad-ass, angriest, most hardcore thing ever released on a major label ... now it just sounds cartoonish.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 12:44 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I would though in Ram It Down too
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Body Count's S/T (with the infamous "Cop Killer") is another one that has aged badly. At the time that came out, everybody was AFRAID of that record, like it was the most bad-ass, angriest, most hardcore thing ever released on a major label ... now it just sounds cartoonish.

I just got my cassette version upgraded to CD ( thank you Joe) and I have to agree with you, I have no idea how anyone took these lyrics seriously, it seems to me more of a parody then a serious social statement of any kind.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 12:51 pm

I don't think a band that has a song about a black guy who falls in love with a white girl whose father just so happens to be the leader of the KKK is trying to be 100% serious.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 3:13 pm

I think one thing that seems to age rock music more than anything else is synthesizers. Whilst some tracks might age well despite it (I think we can all agree that Van Halen's 'Jump' remains hugely iconic), I occasionally hear synths replicating real instruments and sounding terrible because of it. A good example is a lot of Angra's early stuff, especially on Holy Land. Clearly, Andre Matos put a lot of work in to making the synths sound like various orchestral instruments but when you hear a 1996 synthesizer attempting to replicate a flute nowadays, it sounds nothing short of wrong.

The only exception to that is Guns N' Roses' 'November Rain'. I still find it difficult to believe all that orchestration is assorted synths.

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Dated keyboard sounds, especially 80's era synth sounds, are pretty bad for the most part. Today's technology is different, you can buy a keyboard that can pretty much fool about anyone into believing it's an actual piano. But they weren't that good in the 80's.

Plus it depends on how they were used.

Compare the aforementioned Turbo album (which has guitar synths and sounds cheesy) to Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time, which also uses guitar synths, but to "enhance" the sound of the band, not change it.

The Maiden album still sounds great, Turbo is a laugh riot.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 4:48 pm

detuned wrote:
Dated keyboard sounds, especially 80's era synth sounds, are pretty bad for the most part. Today's technology is different, you can buy a keyboard that can pretty much fool about anyone into believing it's an actual piano. But they weren't that good in the 80's.

Plus it depends on how they were used.

Compare the aforementioned Turbo album (which has guitar synths and sounds cheesy) to Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time, which also uses guitar synths, but to "enhance" the sound of the band, not change it.

The Maiden album still sounds great, Turbo is a laugh riot.

On the production of Turbo, blame the producer. For the rest of the Turbo's suckage, blame the songwriters. The track on SIT are much, much better then turbo
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Hammond organs = 70's
Synths = 80's
Scratching/sampling in rock = 90's

Whenever something new comes along, it gets overused to the point of dating the music. It's not always a bad thing, it just is. Not sure what element has defined the '00s yet, but something will pop-up.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Pro Tools = '00s
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 5:32 pm

Every single crossover band. Especially DRI. None of their albums aged well at all.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 6:03 pm

Tough question...

Everything by metallica
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Seraiah - Carnival World and s/t both sounded dated to me when they were new. I just pulled out Carnival World the other day and it really sounds dated now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Didn't age well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Didn't age well...   Didn't age well... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Didn't age well...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next