Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Good songs on Bad albums.

Go down 
+31
brokentulsa
Lari
Chrome Locust
Boris2008
BearOnUnicycle
Gryphon-kl
MetallicSeminarian
corplhicks
bgsully
Temple of Blood
Getizzyback
thejokeriv
Velvet Creation
Nico
metalinmyveins
MetalGuy71
INVADERS
Witchfinder
manny
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
stormspell
krokus
Mglaffas81
Smindas
mc666
adrian
Gilbert
Troublezone
troublemagnet
metalhead777
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Listening to Savatage right now and thought of another one - "Hyde" off of FIGHT FOR THE ROCK. The rest of that album is kinda watery hard rock/pop metal, but that track at least has some teeth to it.

I like a few tracks off of that album but Hyde is the standout. The rest is horrid.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 1:57 pm

A few that come to mind for me are:

“Wild Side” on Girls, Girls, Girls - Mötley Crüe
"Winners Or Losers" on It Won't Be Long - Shout
“Shadows” on Between Heaven & Hell - Rez
“Headed for a Heartbreak" on Winger's s/t
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 2:02 pm

bgsully wrote:
A few that come to mind for me are:

"Winners Or Losers" on It Won't Be Long - Shout
“Shadows” on Between Heaven & Hell - Rez
“Headed for a Heartbreak" on Winger's s/t

All bullseye except for Winger. I'm sorry but that is a great album.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 2:07 pm

"King nothing" on load.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 1:48 am

bgsully wrote:

I'm the opposite. I think that was a great hard rock album. The first three songs were great, I also loved 5 Years Dead & All In The Name Of..., but there were no bad songs on that one to these ears.

For the Crue, I'd pick City Boy Blues from the turd that was Theatre of Pain.

Gryphon-kl
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1346

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 2:27 am

"Fuel" off Metallica's Reload. Miles better than anything else on the album.
I know some people will disagree with this, but I didn't like any of Spock's Beard's Beware of Darkness except "Thoughts".
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 2:51 am

It's not metal by miles, but Sailing is one of my favorite songs to listen to at the end of the day, and everything else on that Christopher Cross album was disgusting.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 3:54 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
"All the Fools Sailed Away" by DIO on "Dream Evil".

affraid - the only song on that album which is not a total hit is "When a Woman Cries" and it is not a bad song by any means... I'll go on a limb and say "Dream Evil" is a top-10 1987 album for me, easily!

But anyhow, lemme throw a similar bomb by choosing "Hall of the Mountain King" from the S/T album. I love the video clip, but the rest of the album does nothing to me whatsoever...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 5:53 am

stormspell wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

affraid - the only song on that album which is not a total hit is "When a Woman Cries" and it is not a bad song by any means... I'll go on a limb and say "Dream Evil" is a top-10 1987 album for me, easily!

But anyhow, lemme throw a similar bomb by choosing "Hall of the Mountain King" from the S/T album. I love the video clip, but the rest of the album does nothing to me whatsoever...

I'd kinda agree with both actually. Dream Evil is my favoroite Dio record, being that the only not-as-great-as-the-the-others song is When a Woman Cries, as you mention, but still rather enjoyable. His other LP's contain at least 2 tracks I don't care for.

As for Savatage, I remember the title track from HOMK, Strange Wings and White Witch. Never understood why it gets THAT much love, maybe noistalgia factor is the reason. Especially considering their next album destroys everything they've done and will ever do. Imo ofc Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 7:29 am

King Nothing & Until it Sleeps are great songs on a mediocre record.

I know that S.D disagrees but Never Say Die is one of my favorite Sabbath songs on my least favorite Ozzy era Sabs record.

Title track on Bark at the Moon, I just didn't like that record much.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 11:06 am

The Writer - off UFO's Mechanix album. Woeful thrown together attempt - great song.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 1:24 pm

stormspell wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Totally agree with Dream Evil. It's a top 3 Dio album. An all-time classic in my mind.

But.... Hall of the Mountain King whaaaat?!?!? That's quite possibly the peak of Savatage right there. Are you telling me an album with songs like 24 Hrs Ago, Legions, Strange Wings, the Price You Pay and Devastation is a "bad" one? It's a monster heavy metal record. Beyond the Doors of the Dark? Absolutely stunning. Criss at his best, Jon at his best, the band is smoking!
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 5:54 pm

electric boys...all lips and hips from the funk o metal carpet ride album.
Actually alot of later 80s hair bands put out albums with 1 or 2 great tracks and the rest of the album was just pure boring filler.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:49 am

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
As for Savatage, I remember the title track from HOMK, Strange Wings and White Witch. Never understood why it gets THAT much love, maybe noistalgia factor is the reason. Especially considering their next album destroys everything they've done and will ever do. Imo ofc Very Happy

I wouldn't consider Hall of the Mountain King a "bad" album, as it has some good songs like the ones you mentioned (and I'd add 24 Hours Ago to them), but it's not my favourite Savatage album as I definitely prefer their later work.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:55 am

For some reason I never quite understood, I bought Dark Tranquillity's Projector, despite not being a fan of harsh vocals. As a result, I didn't really enjoy the album, but this song was awesome.

Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 5:21 am

Citanul wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

I wouldn't consider Hall of the Mountain King a "bad" album, as it has some good songs like the ones you mentioned (and I'd add 24 Hours Ago to them), but it's not my favourite Savatage album as I definitely prefer their later work.

Oh, HOMK is not a bad album by any means. Just not the best ever, the essential Sava album.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 8:28 am

If we're talking Savatage, my vote would be:

If I Go Away from the abysmal 'Streets'.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 10:28 am

Love Dio's Dream Evil from front to back

A lot of people dislike "Jugulator" by Judas Priest but "Cathedral Spires" and "Bullet Train" are both outstanding songs IMO. I've always wondered why the band didn't resurrect one of these songs with Halford on vocals.

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 11:28 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

I would vote for Jesus Saves from the abysmal Streets.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 1:56 pm

The Clash, "Death or Glory" from London Calling. As a huge fan of 70s punk, and of the Clash's first 2 records, I have always felt LC was WAAAAYYY overrated. Not terrible, I guess, but I really don't get into it.

Except "Death or Glory", which is my favorite song by The Clash period, and one of my favorite rnr songs of all time.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 1:58 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

"abysmal?" Shocked

You, sir, are dead to me!!! Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:08 pm

"Without You" and "Ballot or the Bullet" are the only reasons i still keep my copy of Van Halen 3 (Josephina and Dirty Water Dog are ok too, but i could live without them).
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Finish What Ya Started, OU812.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

"abysmal?" Shocked

You, sir, are dead to me!!! Very Happy

Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Tumblr_lit24nE3Y81qioq7uo1_400
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Yeah, Streets was pretty bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good songs on Bad albums.   Good songs on Bad albums. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good songs on Bad albums.
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next