Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0

Go down 
+28
Wrecked Neck
Witchfinder
Shawn Of Fire
Addy
stormspell
INVADERS
Sutekh
troublemagnet
metalhead777
Jesusandmetal23
exact33
Smindas
Fat Freddy
kmorg
manny
Vexer6
snooloui
Stender
Coram Deo
Gilbert
GrandNational
ultmetal
rawr!
Wargod
adrian
Eyesore
Required Fields
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 2:02 pm

I always feel Metal Archives could be so much more than it is if they just got over their own egos. Also, I really don't get how the vast majority of reviews there make the cut. They're absolutely ridiculous.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I use Metal Archives to look up info when I do a discography thread here, aaaaand...that's about it.

same here. I use them for a source of info but the reviews dont do much for me.

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Eyesore wrote:
And if they're all about metal, why is the whole discography for Pyogenesis there, for instance? That band went from being a doom-death band to pop punk.

We know some bands change their style over time (like Amorphis, Katatonia, etc.), but to go from doom-death to pop-punk is a bit extreme, and kinda weird. If Novembers Doom one day sounded like Blink 182, I'd die.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 3:56 pm

I like the old one better.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Great site run by morons.

For instance, why the hell isn't Soulfly on there? Oh, right. Because they're a "mallcore" band. Pffft!

This. If anything doesnt fit
1.the bands former style
2."true" forms of metal

then its either spammed with low reviews or not even on the site. LIke the fact zao isn't on there. or the low reviews of things such as "The Formation of Damnation" by Testament because it's supposedly "metalcore", and yes, multiple reviews called it metalcore... Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 430996
Back to top Go down
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 10:32 pm

I believe it's ran by a some Canadaian boyfriend/girlfriend team of Hellblazer and Morrigan. Morrigan is the female-a total elitist b**** who kicked me off the forums for no good reason. I hate their site.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 12:11 am

Eyesore wrote:
adrian wrote:
Yeah, they're a bit picky with reviews. I also wrote one for Into the Pit and they wouldn't post it. Strangely they did approve my Yngwie and Exciter reviews and all my reviews follow prettty much the same format scratch
How can they be picky with reviews when 99% of the reviews there are horrible?

This is an excellent question, though I think you answered it in your first post Razz.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 am

I tried five times to submit reviews and was rejected. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 3:44 am

metalhead777 wrote:
"The Formation of Damnation" by Testament because it's supposedly "metalcore", and yes, multiple reviews called it metalcore... Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 430996
The mind boggles.

Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 4:13 pm

The one that drives me crazy is that Overkill's Immortalis holds so many bad reviews there. I see no problem with that album
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 7:03 pm

adrian wrote:
The one that drives me crazy is that Overkill's Immortalis holds so many bad reviews there. I see no problem with that album

Immortalis rules! Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 604261

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 12:46 am

The reviews on Encyclopedia Metallum are very contradictory, so it makes it too hard for me to decide whether i should buy the album.

This is why i prefer NLTM much more.

One man's opinion, and it counts headbanger
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:11 am

Gilbert wrote:
The reviews on Encyclopedia Metallum are very contradictory, so it makes it too hard for me to decide whether i should buy the album.

This is why i prefer NLTM much more.

One man's opinion, and it counts headbanger
His opinions of Def Leppard are shit! lol!
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 7:32 am

ultmetal wrote:
adrian wrote:

Immortalis rules! Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 604261

Tis an awesome album like

\m/
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 8:14 am

troublemagnet wrote:
I believe it's ran by a some Canadaian boyfriend/girlfriend team of Hellblazer and Morrigan. Morrigan is the female-a total elitist b**** who kicked me off the forums for no good reason. I hate their site.

thats the most annoying thing to me when people in music get that way. In the end, its just music.

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 12:34 am

Soulfly was finally added on to the site earlier this month. It's about time!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 1:00 am

Required Fields wrote:
Soulfly was finally added on to the site earlier this month. It's about time!
They should have been there all along.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 1:43 am

It's understandable why they wouldn't be there for the first two, as they are very nu-metal sounding. I only remember hearing one song in full (and a bit of another one) on their third album, although it seems to be viewed as the "bridging the gap" album (a lot of it is no different from the first two, but there are some songs that lean toward the direction they would take on later albums, from what I've read). Their later albums, though, are metal albums whether you like them or not.

Last edited by Required Fields on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 1:54 am

Required Fields wrote:
It's understandable why they wouldn't be there for the first two, as they are very nu-metal sounding. I only remember hearing one song on their third album, although it seems to be viewed as the "bridging the gap" album (a lot of it is no different from the first two, but there are some songs that lean toward the direction they would take on later albums, from what I've read). Their later albums, though, are metal albums whether you like them or not.
They are definitely modern metal albums, with shades of nu-metal, but they are without a doubt metal! Whoever runs that site is just a dick.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 2:31 am

Great source of info, unfortunately moderated by way too many 14-yo "metal capacities" which do it for no other reason but to score points on their way to ultimate metal-fan stardom...

Review system is harsh and pointless. There is a ranting 0% review for Lich King, yet when a friend tried to post a 80% one he got told it is biased Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 2:37 am

I hate the percentage rating system. The old 4 star or 5 star system is the easiest.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Eyesore wrote:
And if they're all about metal, why is the whole discography for Pyogenesis there, for instance? That band went from being a doom-death band to pop punk. Why not keep it real and block certain albums?
There's a site called Heavy Harmonies, which is like the AOR and glam/hair version of Metal Archives. I know they do that with certain bands with albums that are too far removed from the general styles they focus on.

But Metal Archives did state many times that one predominantly metal album wins a band an entry on the site.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
And if they're all about metal, why is the whole discography for Pyogenesis there, for instance? That band went from being a doom-death band to pop punk. Why not keep it real and block certain albums?
There's a site called Heavy Harmonies, which is like the AOR and glam/hair version of Metal Archives. I know they do that with certain bands with albums that are too far removed from the general styles they focus on.

But Metal Archives did state many times that one predominantly metal album wins a band an entry on the site.
HH is great.

metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 11:29 pm

I used to love using this site to find binds. its how I found Kreator and other classics. But god these people are so full of crap. Its not a matter of what is and is not metal to them, its a matter of subjective opinion about what is and isn't good enough. So many genuinely good metal bands missing for the stupid reasons they throw out.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 6:13 am

Dont know about content wise but the site overall has a nice design maybe I wouldnt use those colors but the layout is pretty cool
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next