Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal-Archives

Go down 
+27
JDC
EvyMetal
DeathCult
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
manny
GrandNational
bgast1
Required Fields
Metal Misfit
Gilbert
Lurideath
troublemagnet
Smindas
XYZ
Metallic Blaze
snooloui
MetalFRO
Mglaffas81
metalheaded
Eyesore
Stender
kmorg
mc666
Orion Crystal Ice
Jesusandmetal23
ultmetal
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:00 am

I think Metal-Archives is a great resource for metal. I think they are missing some great bands, who are excluded for reasons beyond me.

What bands do you think are missing from Metal-Archives?

For me HELIX and Y&T should be there. If they can have bands like Stryper and Dokken, they should have these two.

Also, UFO. Certainly, if they can have Thin Lizzy and the Scorpions, they should also have UFO.

If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:03 am

Metal Archives is AMAZING. You can find the most obscure stuff there. Did you know that king diamond was in a punk band called Brats?
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:07 am

I love it too. We need something like that around, a huge resource. I have a search thing for it installed in my Firefox search bar. Generally I think the screening of everything is wonderfully meticulous, and fair. I definitely agree with the UFO sentiment. I'm not familiar enough with Helix or Y&T's material in a 'full discography' kind of sense to give an opinion.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:08 am

ultmetal wrote:

Anal C*nt

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:16 am

Wig Wam, Ratt, Kiss

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:05 am

Slave raider
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:12 am

I love Metal-Archives, but it is a bit too elitist for my tastes. All the trendy misperceptions keep a lot of actual metal bands off that site.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:54 am

I use it quite a lot for inquiries I have about bands; whether it be for what year an album came out, the song list for an album, or even the different versions of an album that have been released. It's quite the completist-minded site, for the most part.

Yes, there are some bands that aren't on there that fully deserve to be, and aren't for whatever reason. I think a lot of that reason is because the guys who run it don't think some bands are real metal bands, or whatever, hence the 'elitist' tag someone mentioned. I agree; those guys can be stubborn hardheads, but whatever...I'm just glad it is what it is right now.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 12:27 pm

I also hate how you can add some fact about an album, and then some turdly idiot with more editing privileges comes along later and changes it—and it's frickin' wrong! Morons.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 12:34 pm

Run to the Hills! Eyesore has started spewing out 34 years of repressed hate on us!
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 1:26 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I think Metal-Archives is a great resource for metal. I think they are missing some great bands, who are excluded for reasons beyond me.

For me HELIX and Y&T should be there. If they can have bands like Stryper and Dokken, they should have these two.

Also, UFO. Certainly, if they can have Thin Lizzy and the Scorpions, they should also have UFO.

Funny you should mention Stryper - they've been "in again, out again" over the years - I think I've searched for Stryper in MA a number of times over the last 7 years, and they've been there a few times, and the listing hasn't come up a large number of times. Weird, but must be the whole overly arbitrary system they use to determine what "metal" really is Razz

I'm w/ Eyesore on this - MA is a great resource, especially for finding info about obscure bands (thrash, anyone?), but the elitism on the boards & the MA's too-arbitrary rules for what is defined as "metal" is laughable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 1:54 pm

It's a great site, but any sniff of a pop melody and the band are banished from the archives. Retarded people run the site and seem to be present on the forum, because they believe that some music is somehow less worthy just because the vocalist doesn't sound like a wild animal. If the site included all types of metal, then it would be a perfect site, until then, it's just useful.

Sorry I forgot to say, death metal sucks.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Quote :

All the glam metal ones (Ratt, Cinderella, Britny Fox, etc).

I love how they cover pretty much all the power metal and classic metal stuff though.

I use Metal Archives pretty much every day.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:23 pm

snooloui wrote:
It's a great site, but any sniff of a pop melody and the band are banished from the archives. Retarded people run the site and seem to be present on the forum, because they believe that some music is somehow less worthy just because the vocalist doesn't sound like a wild animal. If the site included all types of metal, then it would be a perfect site, until then, it's just useful.

it's not just your spandex wearing fancy boys that aren't welcome there. they also avoid straight up grindcore, nu-metal, Industrial, & a lot of metalcore. most of which don't have traditional metal vocalists.

...and death metal rules.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:27 pm

mc666 wrote:
snooloui wrote:

it's not just your spandex wearing fancy boys that aren't welcome there. they also avoid straight up grindcore, nu-metal, Industrial, & a lot of metalcore. most of which don't have traditional metal vocalists.

...and death metal rules.

Death metal does rule.

And I wish they'd be more open-minded at the metal-archives. Metalcore should be allowed. Same with glam metal.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:47 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I love Metal-Archives, but it is a bit too elitist for my tastes. All the trendy misperceptions keep a lot of actual metal bands off that site.

Agreed. Elitists are jackasses.

Van Halen should be in the archives.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:48 pm

Yeah, I used to use the site a lot when I was a big power metal fan-boy, but now I can find bands I want to read about on there less and less. It really needs to lighten up a bit with the "true metal" sentiments.

Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 3:10 pm

I like Metal-Archives as a resource, but I can't stand Morrigan,Hellblazer's girlfriend. She is evil incarnate and not just because she booted me off for "trolling" (i.e. posting about the New World Order). She is a staunch believer in eugenics,hates christians, and thinks every one is stupider than her. I have a sneaky suspicion that she's not much to look at, hence her hatred for most every body.
As stoner metal pioneers, I definitly think Monster Magnet should be included, based on their early albums Spine of God, Superjudge, and Dopes To Infinity.
Thank you Scott Waters and friends for having a terrfic discussion board! I really like the people that post here alot,much more than the mean spirited jerks on M.A. Metal-Archives Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm

I live that site too but they have a lot of stuff wrong. In AoB's page there, they listed a few people that were never even in the band and won't change it. Seventh Calling's page is the same way!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 3:21 pm

AC/DC. KISS, NAZARETH.

I believe that these bands are not "metal enough".
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Death metal does rule.

And I wish they'd be more open-minded at the metal-archives. Metalcore should be allowed. Same with glam metal.

Not my cup of tea. I agree with them been more open minded. What they currently have is great, but it would be so much better if they didn't act like nazis on whether or not a band deserves to be in or not.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:03 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I live that site too but they have a lot of stuff wrong. In AoB's page there, they listed a few people that were never even in the band and won't change it. Seventh Calling's page is the same way!

That really sucks! Have you told them who you are? And did they still not change it?
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:15 pm

Isn't that site basically a metal Wikipedia?
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:34 pm

I do know a few bands have been there, only to be removed, and in some cases, put back on again.

Stryper was originally not on the site, but was later on the site, and to my knowledge, were never removed after they were put on. Maybe the search function was having a problem that day or something?

As for metalcore, some bands are on there, some bands are not. I definitely see why some are included, and not others.

As for so called "hair bands", some bands that are/were (or are/were debatably) considered such (or were considered such at certain times of their career) are on there, and not others. If we were to accept hair bands in general, then bands like Bon Jovi and Poison would make it onto the site.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:55 pm

A smart person would create a more global site, include some unobtrusive advertisement, expand it to all metal and rock, hard rock, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Metal-Archives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal-Archives
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next