Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0

Go down 
+28
Wrecked Neck
Witchfinder
Shawn Of Fire
Addy
stormspell
INVADERS
Sutekh
troublemagnet
metalhead777
Jesusandmetal23
exact33
Smindas
Fat Freddy
kmorg
manny
Vexer6
snooloui
Stender
Coram Deo
Gilbert
GrandNational
ultmetal
rawr!
Wargod
adrian
Eyesore
Required Fields
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Empty
PostSubject: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 5:04 pm

http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc

There is now a second version of the site. It can be viewed at the above link.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 5:32 pm

Great site run by morons.

For instance, why the hell isn't Soulfly on there? Oh, right. Because they're a "mallcore" band. Pffft!
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 6:56 pm

The new layout made my bandpage look a lot better, but as a whole I haven't decided if I prefer it to the old site
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 7:02 pm

It's ugly. The font colors are poopy.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Not to bad.

Wargod52
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 pm

i havent exhaustively explored yet, but i dont really appreciate the change. ill become acclimated.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Eyesore wrote:

For instance, why the hell isn't Soulfly on there? Oh, right. Because they're a "mallcore" band. Pffft!

There's a lot of bands missing from that site. Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Scorpions, Rainbow are ok, but UFO, Michael Schenker Group, Blue Öyster Cult, Gary Moore, Whitesnake are a no go.

Dokken, Stryper and Quiet Riot are ok, but no Ratt, Lynch Mob, Cinderella or Rough Cutt.

Die Happy are ok, but no Badlands or Red Sea? Not only did these bands share some members, but their sounds were pretty similar.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 11:03 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

There's a lot of bands missing from that site. Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Scorpions, Rainbow are ok, but UFO, Michael Schenker Group, Blue Öyster Cult, Gary Moore, Whitesnake are a no go.

Dokken, Stryper and Quiet Riot are ok, but no Ratt, Lynch Mob, Cinderella or Rough Cutt.

Die Happy are ok, but no Badlands or Red Sea? Not only did these bands share some members, but their sounds were pretty similar.

Agreed Scott. Always thought it was funny that Deep Purple is on their site, but Led Zeppelin isn't along with the other bands you mentioned. Whitesnake, Ratt, Badlands, etc. all belong there. Also hate they they have rejected all the reviews I've ever sent them. You've read them yourself and know what I'm talking about. And Soulfly should definitely be there as well.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 11:07 pm

GrandNational wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Agreed Scott. Always thought it was funny that Deep Purple is on their site, but Led Zeppelin isn't along with the other bands you mentioned. Whitesnake, Ratt, Badlands, etc. all belong there. Also hate they they have rejected all the reviews I've ever sent them. You've read them yourself and know what I'm talking about. And Soulfly should definitely be there as well.

I wrote a couple reviews there and none got posted, so I don't even bother any more. I know several people reviewed Ultimatum's Into the Pit and Lex Metalis CDs, yet both only have one review each there.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 11:30 pm

I, too, have noticed they'll often reject a band for not being "metal", but accept a band that sounds almost exactly like them.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 11:31 pm

Yeah, they're a bit picky with reviews. I also wrote one for Into the Pit and they wouldn't post it. Strangely they did approve my Yngwie and Exciter reviews and all my reviews follow prettty much the same format scratch
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 11:43 pm

adrian wrote:
Yeah, they're a bit picky with reviews. I also wrote one for Into the Pit and they wouldn't post it. Strangely they did approve my Yngwie and Exciter reviews and all my reviews follow prettty much the same format scratch
How can they be picky with reviews when 99% of the reviews there are horrible?
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 12:23 am

Are kiss and ac/dc still missing from the website?

I haven't visited it in such a long time.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 12:46 am

I understand why some bands like AC/DC aren't on there. They're rock bands. Sure, if you were a teen in the 70s you probably think they're metal, but clearly this site is run by younger people, thus rock bands don't belong.

Of course, then why is Def Leppard there? And if they're all about metal, why is the whole discography for Pyogenesis there, for instance? That band went from being a doom-death band to pop punk. Why not keep it real and block certain albums?

Right, because the site is run by morons.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 1:04 am

Eyesore wrote:
adrian wrote:
How can they be picky with reviews when 99% of the reviews there are horrible?
That's what confuses me. It seems like they are picky with what bands actually get reviews approved for.
Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 1:31 am

I used the site to find new bands. Mostly thrash it has been helpful to me in that way.
Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 2:07 am

I never tryed to submit a review there, I didnt know they were so picky.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 2:56 am

Great site for information. Don't appreciate the change in design personally. Also hate the way that the admins randomly decide which bands can be in the archive. I think a lot of it comes down to personal preferences, i.e. maybe they just like Deep Purple and also to do with this whole 'metal' image the site likes to have. The reviews are also a load of crap, many just try to sound clever and fit as many big words in as they can, use stupid metaphors and overall aren't helpful at all, mainly because you can't understand a word they say. I also find the forum rather offensive, it's full of silly immature idiots who can't appreciate anyone else's opinions or tastes. Basically, it's a great site that is poorly run by idiots who give the genre a bad name with their stupid elitist views.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 3:37 am

Some of the reviews are intersting, but alot of them just try WAAAYYYYYYY TOO hard to be clever sounding and instead come across as irritating and immature, I also remember the admins saying that they generally won't accept track-by-track reviews, which I think is total BS since track-by-track reviews are arguably more informative and helpful then general ones IMO.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 9:14 am

adrian wrote:

Try submitting it again.

I find it odd that they reject so many Into the Pit reviews. surprised

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Eyesore wrote:

I will admit that I have not heard newer Soulfly, but from what I've heard from others, they are groove/post-thrash albums.

I actually assume the reason they aren't on the site is because Fred Durst makes a guest appearance on their first album.

EDIT: Having heard Soulfly's newer stuff since I initially posted, their longtime exclusion was a joke. They should have been let on years before they were accepted.

Last edited by Required Fields on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 12:31 pm

To quote Eyesore, a site run by morons
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 12:34 pm

I think soulfly used to be the site, but they got removed, I also recall that Rob Halford's Two was on there at one point but it's gone now, probably because it's more industrial then metal.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 1:23 pm

I use the site all the time, and find it to be a valuable resource. However, I have the same beef with it that you guys. I've even have had bands rejected because they questioned the existence of the band, even though I provided a discography, website, AND sound samples on MySpace!!!! And don't get me started on the review thing.

The new site takes getting used too, but it features some cool new features!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 1:49 pm

I use Metal Archives to look up info when I do a discography thread here, aaaaand...that's about it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0   Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Encylopedia Metallum (The Metal Archives) 2.0
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next